Elite Up 3 Mechs Identical Chasis?

23 replies to this topic

#1 MechWarrior3671771

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,021 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 15 December 2014 - 01:35 PM

Wanted to confirm something I think I read:

As a hypothetical, if I want to unlock Elite on a mech chasis, I have to level up 3 to Basic. Can they be 3 mechs of exact same variant? For example, instead of buying:

Cicada 2A
Cicada 3A
Cicada 2A (C)

I could instead go with:
Cicada 2A (C)
Cicada 2A (C)
Cicada 2A (C)

...to meet the requirement of "3 variants of same chasis" when unlocking to Elite and Mastery levels wiyh Mech XP?

Edited by Fenrisulvyn, 15 December 2014 - 01:41 PM.

#2 VenturePilot

• PipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 45 posts
  • LocationEdmonton

Posted 15 December 2014 - 01:36 PM

no, they have to be 3 different varients of the chassis

#3 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,159 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 15 December 2014 - 01:41 PM

View PostAdonis1Aleus, on 15 December 2014 - 01:36 PM, said:

no, they have to be 3 different varients of the chassis

Also note that in the original example 2A and 2A(C) count as the same variant.This also goes for (P), (I) and (S) mechs.

The good news is that once you've mastered a CDA-2A, if you buy another one (say, for CW or another build), it'll already be mastered. I might have three JR7-Fs, two of which are (C)s. ;)

Edited by Terciel1976, 15 December 2014 - 01:41 PM.

#4 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 15 December 2014 - 01:46 PM

IE:
Different Chassis

Jenner
Firestarter
Centurion

Different Variants
JR7-D
JR7-F
JR7-K

#5 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 15 December 2014 - 01:48 PM

Okay, nope not possible. Each has to be a different variant as others have stated above me.

#6 LauLiao

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 15 December 2014 - 01:50 PM

Rule of thumb: If all the hardpoints are exactly the same, it's considered the same mech.

#7 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 15 December 2014 - 01:54 PM

View PostFenrisulvyn, on 15 December 2014 - 01:35 PM, said:

Wanted to confirm something I think I read:

As a hypothetical, if I want to unlock Elite on a mech chasis, I have to level up 3 to Basic. Can they be 3 mechs of exact same variant? For example, instead of buying:

Cicada 2A
Cicada 3A
Cicada 2A (C)

I could instead go with:
Cicada 2A (C)
Cicada 2A (C)
Cicada 2A (C)

...to meet the requirement of "3 variants of same chasis" when unlocking to Elite and Mastery levels wiyh Mech XP?

To expand on what others have said, just so you're clear.

The skills are not tied to an individual mech, but that variant. That is, you're skilled with Cicada 2A's, not the specific Cicada 2A in your inventory. You can sell it, and buy another two years from now, and you'll still have the same skills in it.

#8 MechWarrior3671771

• 2,021 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 15 December 2014 - 01:58 PM

Ah okay. So if I wanted a CW dropdeck of four Raven 3Ls, I would need to do something like buy a 3L, 3H and 2x... level all 3 to Elite..then level the 3L to Mastery. Then buy 3 more 3Ls (which would be treated as already levelled up?

Edited by Fenrisulvyn, 15 December 2014 - 02:01 PM.

#9 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 15 December 2014 - 02:09 PM

Yep, that is right

#10 Gauvan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 02:43 PM

Only thing I can add is that you can earn XP on trial mechs that you can later apply to a mech you own. You won't be able to spend the XP on leveling up the trial variant but the earned XP is saved.

#11 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,159 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 02:47 PM

View PostFenrisulvyn, on 15 December 2014 - 01:58 PM, said:

Ah okay. So if I wanted a CW dropdeck of four Raven 3Ls, I would need to do something like buy a 3L, 3H and 2x... level all 3 to Elite..then level the 3L to Mastery. Then buy 3 more 3Ls (which would be treated as already levelled up?

A couple things:

There's no "3H." If you mean the Huginn hero mech, it's a waste of money to buy a hero just to level, IMO (says a guy who's done that more times than he's proud of).

Also, it's really better to use as much of the 240 tons you're allowed as possible. I'm a pretty dedicated light pilot, but I won't leave tonnage on the table for CW. If you want to run RVN-3Ls in CW, I'd suggest running two and along with a couple big mechs (Stalkers are my first thought).

#12 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 02:48 PM

View PostFenrisulvyn, on 15 December 2014 - 01:58 PM, said:

Pretty much.

#13 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 02:56 PM

2X btw.

View PostTerciel1976, on 15 December 2014 - 02:47 PM, said:

There's no "3H."

*Digs...*
3X, 3L, 3M, 3Ld(rone), 3xRavenX....

No Raven 3H even in Battletech.
*Pulls out Megamek; considers making one...
Goes back to having another fight using his Police Mechs instead.*
Long version.
Spoiler

Short Version
Spoiler

#14 RazorbeastFXK3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 15 December 2014 - 03:27 PM

The easiest way to figure out how much XP you have for each variant, log into the game, open up the Skills tab then scroll down to the 'mech you own (and/or piloted) and open up the section and it will show you how much 'Mech XP you have for each variant.

As someone mentioned in a comment earlier, Trial 'Mechs earn you 'Mech XP for the particular variant given and as another one explained the (#) after the variant type isn't separate so if you own a 'Mech Variant that is available as a Trial 'Mech and win a battle using one, the x2 daily bonus will go away for both the owned 'mech and the Trial 'mech.

And every 'mech has at least x3 variants that are able to be purchased through the use of C-Bills. But it's entirely up to you whether or not you want to spend MC. The general opinion leans more towards saving MC and using C-Bills if your goal is to master any 'mech available.

#15 MechWarrior3671771

• 2,021 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 17 December 2014 - 12:34 PM

Right, I dont plan on always using MCs this way, this is just to get my CW drop deck ready as soon as I can download the game. Victors and Ravens. Im assuming I can do my 25 cadet matches in an MC-bought mech, instead of the trial mechs? I'll go back and playtest them all after my dropdeck is up.

#16 Jody Von Jedi

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 17 December 2014 - 01:14 PM

View PostFenrisulvyn, on 17 December 2014 - 12:34 PM, said:

Right, I dont plan on always using MCs this way, this is just to get my CW drop deck ready as soon as I can download the game. Victors and Ravens. Im assuming I can do my 25 cadet matches in an MC-bought mech, instead of the trial mechs? I'll go back and playtest them all after my dropdeck is up.

Correct, it doesn't matter what mech you pilot to complete your Cadet matches.Just Git-r-done.

#17 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 17 December 2014 - 02:32 PM

View PostFenrisulvyn, on 17 December 2014 - 12:34 PM, said:

Right, I dont plan on always using MCs this way, this is just to get my CW drop deck ready as soon as I can download the game. Victors and Ravens. Im assuming I can do my 25 cadet matches in an MC-bought Mech, instead of the trial mechs? I'll go back and playtest them all after my dropdeck is up.

yes you can do your first 25 matches in any Mech but I would advise against buying a Mech until you have finished the 25 cadet bonus matches, I strongly suggest trying the trial Mechs to get a feel for the different Mechs so you do not end up purchasing something you do not enjoy using.

please bear in mind that CW is hard mode, and this game has a steep learning curve as it is. I would strongly advise you at least level up your Mechs before going to CW, or you may be learning to control your Mech while playing against a highly organized team with years of experience, also it would be worth looking for a unit for CW (and possibly to help you learn the game), just knowing you are working with your teammates and that they will help you is great.

#18 MechWarrior3671771

• 2,021 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 17 December 2014 - 04:11 PM

Thanks. I've played MW2-4, as well as BZ and MWL Planetary, so I'm hoping that will make it easier for me to get up to speed.

Im looking at those 2 mechs like "...you dont get to choose your first duty station - thats your Victor over there, thats your Raven, learn to love them and.good luck now sign here" :) Besides, they both look like useful mechs on paper and in the forums so they should work out ok for a drop deck in the short term.

Good idea on levelling. I was thinking of not dropping into CW until I have 4 mechs at Elite. Does that seem reasonable?

#19 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,159 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 04:48 PM

View PostFenrisulvyn, on 17 December 2014 - 04:11 PM, said:

Good idea on levelling. I was thinking of not dropping into CW until I have 4 mechs at Elite. Does that seem reasonable?

YES.

I can hardly think of a more off-putting experience of MWO than dropping solo into a CW match and getting stomped by a 12-man*.

*I'm a 12-man stomper way more often than I'd like.

Edited by Terciel1976, 17 December 2014 - 04:49 PM.

#20 Macksheen

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationNorth Cackalacky

Posted 17 December 2014 - 05:10 PM

You might strongly consider ravens and stalkers, rather than victors. Very strong options and the stalker is far more beastly than you might expect, esp. Once you kit it out yourself.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users