Has Anyone Noticed That Their Processor Speed Drops By More Than 50% In The Faction Tab If Running In Full Screen Window?

29 replies to this topic

#21 Sug

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 18 December 2014 - 02:17 PM

View PostTexAss, on 18 December 2014 - 02:15 PM, said:

I have noticed that the power consumption of my graphics card on the faction tab is as high as in a match with 24 mechs! Really bad optimized on the faction tab. I can hear the gpu fan scream.

View PostJun Watarase, on 18 December 2014 - 02:10 PM, said:

Its a I7-4700MQ.

That model has integrated graphics, are you on a laptop? Maybe the faction tab stressing out gpus has something to do with this.

Battery or plugged in? Maybe it can't get the power it needs so it's throttling.

Edited by Sug, 18 December 2014 - 02:18 PM.

#22 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 18 December 2014 - 02:17 PM

This looks like pretty standard Intel Turboboost. CPU downclock's when there's low load, clocks back up under heavier load. Programs like Firefox aren't exactly putting a lot of load on the CPU, so I dounbt your PC is really "running slower." If you're that concerned about it, try running something CPU-intensive like Prime95 when you're in the Faction Tab (but alt tabbed out, obviously) and see if it jumps back up.

Edited by DEMAX51, 18 December 2014 - 02:20 PM.

#23 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 18 December 2014 - 02:21 PM

View PostDEMAX51, on 18 December 2014 - 02:17 PM, said:

try running something CPU-intensive like Prime95 when you're in the Faction Tab (but alt tabbed out, obviously) and see if it jumps back up.

That and maybe try downloading Throttlestop.

#24 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 18 December 2014 - 02:25 PM

Usually the OS (usually with the help of software or defined thresholds) is "intelligent" enough to reduce performance depending on the load. Other times, the app is "telling" the CPU to "use less" whenever necessary.

I don't think 30 fps on that tab is a bad thing, since it's not like the rendering is heavy.

However, the game's interfacing with the GPU is notorious since it seems to just render 100% of the time while the CPU is not working as hard. I suspect there should be "hints" by the game/app to tell the GPU to reduce the workload (they tried doing this through VSync and/or capping @ 50 fps, which is a "cheap" workaround). It's hard to figure out why they haven't overcome this obstacle yet.

#25 Jun Watarase

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 02:38 PM

View PostSug, on 18 December 2014 - 02:17 PM, said:

That model has integrated graphics, are you on a laptop? Maybe the faction tab stressing out gpus has something to do with this.

Battery or plugged in? Maybe it can't get the power it needs so it's throttling.

Yea its on a laptop, plugged in, and im running MWO with a GTX 770m.

View PostDEMAX51, on 18 December 2014 - 02:17 PM, said:

This looks like pretty standard Intel Turboboost. CPU downclock's when there's low load, clocks back up under heavier load. Programs like Firefox aren't exactly putting a lot of load on the CPU, so I dounbt your PC is really "running slower." If you're that concerned about it, try running something CPU-intensive like Prime95 when you're in the Faction Tab (but alt tabbed out, obviously) and see if it jumps back up.

But the load imposed by firefox (which is running in the background) is enough to make it to run at 2.8 ghz already.

View PostSug, on 18 December 2014 - 02:21 PM, said:

That and maybe try downloading Throttlestop.

What settings are you supposed to set that to?

#26 TexAce

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 18 December 2014 - 02:40 PM

View PostSug, on 18 December 2014 - 02:17 PM, said:

No its a GTX670 on a pretty heavy desktop machine. Definitely not my fault. i7 3770K, 32gb RAM.

#27 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 18 December 2014 - 02:58 PM

View PostTexAss, on 18 December 2014 - 02:40 PM, said:

No its a GTX670 on a pretty heavy desktop machine. Definitely not my fault. i7 3770K, 32gb RAM.

Ah, was referring to Jun's cpu.

View PostJun Watarase, on 18 December 2014 - 02:38 PM, said:

What settings are you supposed to set that to?

I have no clue. It was one of the solutions proposed to a strangely throttling CPU.

None of this means you actually have a problem to solve. If you don't have issues with anything but MWO it's probably just a weird quirk of MWO being poorly optimized.

#28 Clit Beastwood

• 2,262 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 18 December 2014 - 03:17 PM

View PostJun Watarase, on 18 December 2014 - 01:14 PM, said:

I dont know what is hard to understand about this. I already explained it very clearly.

It's not the lack of clarity, it's your lack of credibility that is the issue. Learn to contact support instead of post on the forums. There is a "workarounds" forum, you could try posting there, as this thread is far from "General Discussion" material. [Redacted]

Edited by John Wolf, 18 December 2014 - 04:29 PM.
Unconstructive

#29 Flying Fox 333

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 18 December 2014 - 05:47 PM

There isn't any 3D models to render on the Faction tab. So in my mind, this tab should be the least processor intensive. I'd say this is Turbo Boost working as it should. A way to test this would be to run another game in the background, or a browser based game that you know can push the CPU to throttle higher, whilst your in the Faction tab then take another reading. I bet it will stay at the 2.8GHz.

#30 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 12 January 2015 - 10:02 PM

I have this same problem on the faction tab, except instead of my CPU spinning down, it's my GPUs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users