- - - - -

Oh Yea, I'm Terrible

144 replies to this topic

#61 Clawgore

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 30 December 2014 - 07:07 PM

The information that you guys have given me, and the encouragement, has helped very much. I am no where close to you guys and some games I am horrible!!!! But, then magic happens and things come together and I get happy with my progress. I've progressed enough to know how to chat and I usually say, "Don't spread out so much!!" hahaha.

See? I'm taking your advice to heart.

#62 Liquid Leopard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationChesapeake, VA

Posted 30 December 2014 - 07:13 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 30 December 2014 - 05:06 PM, said:

View PostLiquid Leopard, on 30 December 2014 - 04:56 PM, said:

The CPLT-C4? It has some generic missle perks, and some perks specific to the LRM-10.

They are for 20s now

Good catch.

And, that's why you mouse over the mech and look at the perks in the Mech Lab. :D
There are quirk lists floating around (like what I was looking at) and they aren't necessarily up to date.

#63 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 30 December 2014 - 07:30 PM

View PostClawgore, on 30 December 2014 - 07:07 PM, said:

I am no where close to you guys and some games I am horrible!!!!

Had someone get upset in a match because I was there.

Screw the matchmaker - I am not on Shar's level (or something like it) they screamed.

As I told him that match (and my score supported) I am not on my level! :P

Edit:
Knowing the mechanics and having the ability and/or talent to make good use of the mechanics are two entirely different mechanics! :rolleyes:

Edited by Shar Wolf, 30 December 2014 - 07:31 PM.

#64 Keira RAVEN McKenna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 878 posts
  • LocationAuckland ...but summer has gone and the tears now flow

Posted 30 December 2014 - 07:32 PM

its a science in itself

#65 Liquid Leopard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationChesapeake, VA

Posted 30 December 2014 - 07:43 PM

View PostClawgore, on 25 December 2014 - 01:42 PM, said:

Yea, sorry about picking a side so fast. I actually didn't know what I was doing.

Whatever faction you pick, someone's got jokes, whether you pick the Stainers, the Daviots, the Pink Chickens, the Snakes, Clan Ketchup Canine, Clan Angry Snowflake, Clan Leaping Lolcat, Clan Jaundiced Jaybird, or my faction of Wannabe Space Vikings.

Come to think of it, I don't have one for House Liao... I have to work on that...

Edited by Liquid Leopard, 31 December 2014 - 12:27 PM.

#66 Golrar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 30 December 2014 - 07:46 PM

Sounds like you have the right mindset going in Clawgore. Nice to see someone that doesn't expect this to be Stompy Robot CoD. You are learning fast and I would say you already do pretty well. Welcome to the wonderful world of BT!

#67 Liquid Leopard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationChesapeake, VA

Posted 30 December 2014 - 08:37 PM

In order to come up with mech configurations to fit the quirks, or figure out how to play a mech, I shamelessly watch YouTube videos.
Lately I've been using the search term "Mechwarrior, quirks" a lot, and then sorting by date.
I'll often be puzzling over a particular mech and just look for videos of that mech, posted in the last 2 months.

When you're watching a video of a mech, you can see the weapons and you can see it's top speed.

Sometimes I go to Smurfy's Mech Lab, look up the mech chassis in the video, and plug in different engines until I get the top speed I saw in the video. Then, I know what engine the player in the video used... and I usually don't have it and will substitute something kinda close.

Sometimes I'll go "How did that SOB make that shot? Or that one??? Or that one?!?" and conclude I can't duplicate that person's success.
This video:
Mofo is shooting at targets I can't even see. And his crosshairs are turning red, indicating he hit a target. Dafuq?
He even kills spastic light mechs with his PPCs!
I use PPCs, and light mechs see the blue lightning coming and dodge it.
This guy... How does he...? I don't even...
"This player is OP. Plz nerf."
This Thunderbolt build works great for him. I don't think I should bother.

But I also found this video of the "Wubverine". This player is clearly having fun.

I'm not gonna buy 3 Wolverines just because I saw this video. But I thought "Doesn't one of my Thunderbolts have bonuses for LPLs? :D" And it's working for me.

Sometimes, I come across a gem like this:

And for those of you who've been around a while: You thought the Hex-Stalkers were bad! Ha!

Edited by Liquid Leopard, 31 December 2014 - 07:21 AM.

#68 juxstapo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 30 December 2014 - 08:48 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 30 December 2014 - 07:30 PM, said:

Had someone get upset in a match because I was there.

Screw the matchmaker - I am not on Shar's level (or something like it) they screamed.

I can totally relate to this, btw. Shar Wolf has utterly smoked me....

...in his Locust...

...like 3 times... <_<

#69 Liquid Leopard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationChesapeake, VA

Posted 30 December 2014 - 08:50 PM

View Postjuxstapo, on 30 December 2014 - 08:48 PM, said:

...in his Locust...

...like 3 times... <_<

Shar Wolf is OP. Plz nerf.

#70 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 30 December 2014 - 08:52 PM

View Postjuxstapo, on 30 December 2014 - 08:48 PM, said:

...in his Locust...

...like 3 times... <_<

Spoilered for bein mostly off-topic

Spoiler

Edit: rearrangement

Edited by Shar Wolf, 30 December 2014 - 09:05 PM.

#71 Golrar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 30 December 2014 - 08:58 PM

LL, after seeing that 9S video, I tried that build and oh sweet momma that thing rocks.

Sorry for the hijack, OP.

#72 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 31 December 2014 - 03:02 AM

View PostClawgore, on 30 December 2014 - 07:07 PM, said:

I am no where close to you guys and some games I am horrible!!!! But, then magic happens and things come together and I get happy with my progress.

I have been playing since august 2012 and still get the occasional 0 damage games and about 1 game in 4 I get less than 100 damage, I think I am slightly below average as a player but even the best players (and I have played with some exceptional players in my unit) occasionally get a bad game, you know you are improving when the "bad" games become less common.

#73 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 31 December 2014 - 10:50 AM

Rouge, the only time I've ever gotten 0 damage was in my Locust (Which has its ups and downs), but a sniping dire whale. Typical to happen in that mech, right? (Was so PO'd after that game though, haha)

#74 AaronWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 652 posts
  • LocationSunshine state.

Posted 31 December 2014 - 11:34 AM

Oh goodness...if more people were like OP...

Posted Image

Keep up the great work and progress, dude!

#75 Spare Parts Bin

• Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 31 December 2014 - 11:43 AM

I am glad to read these posts here. My skill level ebbs and flows like an ocean's tide.
Unfortunately I am back to losing games as I am working on 3 Stormcrows, 1 Nova, 1 KitFox, 1 T-Wolf, and 1 Warhawk. Once I get a handle on these Omnis my scores will increase.
To the original poster you an inspiration. Keep playing.

#76 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 31 December 2014 - 11:53 AM

Good thread and welcome to MWO. Hard to master with a steep learning curve. But yeah never give up.
Im still a rookie and struggle for optimization, trying different builds is one part of the job.

Had my noobie moments. One memorable was when one teammate jump jetted right in front of me on his way to the enemy, just as I pulled the trigger. I flat out shot him dead in the back with my LBX 10. I didnt know if I wanted to cry or laugh, call it melo dramatic.
If such moments happens to you, always say sorry to the offended or at least in the team/ lance chat window. I have witnessed a very few instances where team killing have occured, that was just a sad moment to watch especially in CW, which can easly ruin the match totally. Luckily they are rare as far as I know.

Good luck! And happy hunting.

#77 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 31 December 2014 - 01:19 PM

View PostScout Derek, on 31 December 2014 - 10:50 AM, said:

Rouge, the only time I've ever gotten 0 damage was in my Locust (Which has its ups and downs), but a sniping dire whale. Typical to happen in that mech, right? (Was so PO'd after that game though, haha)

most of mine are in Spider, running around scouting at full health, then dead, damaged by Gauss, all my Spiders are armored to survive 20 damage to any location, so I can only assume there are some people who are excellent at hitting moving Lights with dual Gauss

#78 juxstapo

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 31 December 2014 - 09:15 PM

kinda on topic: My skill level seems to fluctuate with my.. uh.. in-game libido I guess?

tl:dr (and I didn't even type what I was thinking). I can't use MWO (or gaming period) as a substitute for my happiness. If I'm having an average day and want to game to unwind, great!
However if I'm having a pissy day, I will inevitably have a pissy gaming session and just get increasingly pissed.

This Self-aggrandizing Epiphany brought to you by the Council for Things No One Else Cares About, right across the hall from the Ministry of Silly Walks.

#79 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 31 December 2014 - 09:23 PM

View Postjuxstapo, on 31 December 2014 - 09:15 PM, said:

kinda on topic: My skill level seems to fluctuate with my.. uh.. in-game libido I guess?

tl:dr (and I didn't even type what I was thinking). I can't use MWO (or gaming period) as a substitute for my happiness. If I'm having an average day and want to game to unwind, great!
However if I'm having a pissy day, I will inevitably have a pissy gaming session and just get increasingly pissed.

This Self-aggrandizing Epiphany brought to you by the Council for Things No One Else Cares About, right across the hall from the Ministry of Silly Walks.

I could have told you this months ago. Happy Jux is Lethal Jux. ;)

#80 Clawgore

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 01 January 2015 - 12:56 AM

I am REALLY surprised by how few pissed off people there are after a match. Sure, I've seen a couple but no where near what I was expecting.

Which brings up a question. How are the matches created? I started paying attention to the names today and very rarely did I see someone from one of my other matches.

Also, after many of the matches I was in the top 7 in score and in several matches I was in the top 3. Now there is NO way that is possible unless the game recognizes me as a new player and puts me with all of the brand new players. hahaha.

Is that how it works? Some of the players I spectate are pretty good so I'm getting confused.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users