Root Of The Problem

22 replies to this topic

#21 oldradagast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 01:14 PM

View Postpwnface, on 19 December 2014 - 01:05 PM, said:

Really?? Scouting is pretty important for stopping enemy rushes and assaults are pretty handy to have if you are going to push the base.

Are you primarily a solo player? I'm not making a dig at you, but your comments make you sound like you haven't played with a coordinated team before. In my experience, scouting and having tanky assault mechs are both pretty important in CW.

You are correct about scouting overall. My apologies - I should have clarified that: in CW, there's a very limited need for super-fast scout mechs to move around large areas of the map, keeping an eye on things since enemy movements and location are far more predictable and confined to much smaller areas on the map. In short, while the act of "scouting" - as in keeping an eye on the enemy and relaying information is key - the ability to scout out vast tracks of the map at high speeds (which lights excel at) is vastly reduced.

Long story short: almost any mech with decent speed can scout in CW, which is less true in public games where more of the map is used and enemy positions are not as predictable.

I do mostly solo play, though I've also played in large groups, now and then against some of the better known teams (Lords, etc.) Based upon my CW experience, the teams that have done the best tended to focus more on mechs that can move together vs. ones at the top or bottom end of the weight / speed classes.

Your mileage may vary, of course - I can only speak to my experiences regarding the feel of CW games and what I've seen work since we don't yet have any overall info to go by (most used mechs, etc.)

Edited by oldradagast, 19 December 2014 - 01:18 PM.

#22 AlphaToaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 19 December 2014 - 01:16 PM

I think the game mode was so new that people were put off by the change in tactics needed and there's a culture of running to PGI here that they have grown accustomed to. I was fine with invasion before but will concede that I think it's better now for the attackers w/ multiple generators. The exact same tactics still apply though, so we will still see viable 12-light rushes happen, but at least now the defenders have 4 generators to watch instead of just 1.

I think while on the surface it may see easier for the defenders, the advantage actually swings more to the attackers. More generators for defenders to watch that have less health so a single mech can reliably slip past and kill a generator by itself before getting taken out by a mech shooting it. Kind of a 1 mech zerg rush there if you think about it like that, ignore the mech shooting you to hit the generator and chances are with the high TTK, the generator will die before the attacker.

Rather than 1 single zerg deathball to one generator, the zerg can target one or more generators at once in smaller groups and really scatter the defense up, then the attackers can consolidate and swoop in for the kill on the last generator open.

The game doesn't exactly end in 3 minutes anymore, but if the defenders continue to make the same mistakes that let the pre-change zerg rush work, they can lose in 5 minutes instead.

#23 AlphaToaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 19 December 2014 - 01:20 PM

View Postpwnface, on 19 December 2014 - 01:05 PM, said:

Really?? Scouting is pretty important for stopping enemy rushes and assaults are pretty handy to have if you are going to push the base.

Are you primarily a solo player? I'm not making a dig at you, but your comments make you sound like you haven't played with a coordinated team before. In my experience, scouting and having tanky assault mechs are both pretty important in CW.

/Agree

Scouting is more important than ever on Sulfur. Easier to just spot on Boreal, but those lanes on Sulfur.... Even knowing for sure which lanes the attackers are NOT using is huge for helping move people to the right places.

Instead of people ejecting out of that 30-40% mech, run it down a lane to take a look. Worst that could happen is the attackers rush a different gate before you've made contact, and you eject back to a fresh mech. Hopefully someone calls out because all the lanes are being scouted and you have enough time. Even if they are in the base, if you eject late into a rush your dropship you spawn strafes the attackers. It's really a win/win.

I'm a 100% solo player in CW so far and I understand this stuff. It's really the basics.

Edited by AlphaToaster, 19 December 2014 - 01:21 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users