Gameplay Weapons Social

2 replies to this topic

#1 Kylian Winters

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationTexas

Posted 19 December 2014 - 04:06 PM

So, I recorded a stream on twitch of my latest Community War efforts for the Jade Falcon....we won the match...that being said, I felt I was making some rook mistakes. Anyone willing to critique? I started out with an Assault Direwolf and did pretty well till I left 'safety of the base'.

www.twitch.tv/markelphoenix

Stream should be available on Highlights and Past Boradcasts. The highlights should filter out the rough technical issues I had at start.

Please leave critiques and feedback here. If you care to offer future support, I plan on posting some more streams of my learning experiences in my twitch stream. I am COMPLETELY open to constructive feedback, just try not to be TOO brutal.

Edited by Kylian Winters, 19 December 2014 - 04:04 PM.

#2 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 19 December 2014 - 04:15 PM

First thing I noticed right off is that you're way out of position in regards to the rest of your team. You got caught with your pants down so to speak. Especially in the lighter mechs. I'd also invest in advanced zoom modules if you're going to be running a lot of long(ish) range energy boats. It can make a world of difference.

I won't comment on builds because everyone has their own style. I've used LL boats quite successfully for years now.

I'd work on communicating with your team a little more. CW is harsh if your team isn't coordinating.

#3 Shalune

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 647 posts
  • LocationCombination Pizza Hut and Taco Bell

Posted 19 December 2014 - 06:15 PM

Didn't have time to watch the whole thing, but noticed a couple patterns as I skimmed:

Your first 2 mechs are very hot running. That's not necessarily bad, but it's a limitation to play around. You never want to position yourself directly in the enemy's path because you can't fire for very long without shutting down. In the Dire Wolf's case you can find places where you can establish long, and ideally narrow, fields of fire. Even at range try to be aware of where cover is nearby that you can retreat to. For the Nova you can make use of the jump jets to quickly poke up from cover, fire, and retreat to cool off.

Always try to make sure your team is communicating. The Dire Wolf is slow so you need to know where things are coming before they're there. It looks like a premade was on your side so they were probably just talking among themselves. Most units will gladly type at least major things out in chat if you politely let them know you're willing to follow direction.

In most cases you don't want to be directly at the gates. At least not in centered. It's just that you'll be a very easy target to focus fire for the enemy. When possible try to defend the gate from a distance, or angled to one side.

(Don't worry about this one too much, just something to be aware of for the future)
A really nice strategy to improve your survivability is well timed torso twisting. In between firing, or cooling, turn to face to one side (not the complete opposite direction). This forces an attackers damage into your side torsos and arms more than your center torso. It's a good all-around practice, and especially for the Dire Wolf which is big enough to take center torso damage extremely easily. This will take a while to get used to, but keep it in mind as you get better. As the rest of the game gets more natural you'll be able to focus on it more.

Anyway best of luck. Hope you continue to have a good time meching about!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users