We Are Giving You A Chance To Earn 25 Gifts Per Game Mode.

68 replies to this topic

#21 Cyborne Elemental

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,980 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 19 December 2014 - 12:24 PM

Yeah, there is no butthurt or waa waa entitlement going on.

Its just that the rare items like Premium time or a free mechbay are hard to get with the random drop system.

Given the rarity of Premium time and mechbay drops, it really brings your chances down of obtaining them IMO, unless they're fixed injections obtained at say Game #24 gives you a guaranteed free mechbay, or game #50 gives you a day of premium time ect..

The other event allowed you to keep trying as many times as you wanted to get them, even though the items themselves were capped to 1 free mech bay per person, or a total of 3 days premium time cap through the duration of the event.

During the Halloween event, it was also great to not have those cap's in place for specific game types, it gave players the freedom to play the modes they wanted in order to unlock their gifts, I personally would rather have a global cap instead of game specific.

Bottom line is, its awesome to get free stuff no matter what it is, I just really need that mechbay :D (and I'm sure others do too)

#22 RockmachinE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 12:28 PM

Jesus man, you people complain again. That's 100 freebies as*oles that's a lot!

Edited by Louis Brofist, 19 December 2014 - 12:28 PM.

#23 Dulahan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 361 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 12:33 PM

Yeah, I'm pumped for this challenge. 2 weeks long. Low pressure. and I still doubt I'll manage all 100 because time is scant over the holidays. All the parties, family obligations, etc.

#24 occusoj

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 452 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 12:33 PM

Rather than punish both ends of the spectrum and equalize them, as this does

So giving a player 100 pieces of free stuff is punishment?

PGI does a lot of things wrong but this event isnt one of them. Its great and even better than the halloween event since its spread out over a bigger timeframe which allows more people to participate and win free stuff.

#25 KraftySOT

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 12:35 PM

View PostMister D, on 19 December 2014 - 12:24 PM, said:

Yeah, there is no butthurt or waa waa entitlement going on.

Its just that the rare items like Premium time or a free mechbay are hard to get with the random drop system.

Given the rarity of Premium time and mechbay drops, it really brings your chances down of obtaining them IMO, unless they're fixed injections obtained at say Game #24 gives you a guaranteed free mechbay, or game #50 gives you a day of premium time ect..

The other event allowed you to keep trying as many times as you wanted to get them, even though the items themselves were capped to 1 free mech bay per person, or a total of 3 days premium time cap through the duration of the event.

During the Halloween event, it was also great to not have those cap's in place for specific game types, it gave players the freedom to play the modes they wanted in order to unlock their gifts, I personally would rather have a global cap instead of game specific.

Bottom line is, its awesome to get free stuff no matter what it is, I just really need that mechbay :D (and I'm sure others do too)

Exactly.

Id like to see you guys get some needed stuff.

And 100 freebies with what looks like about 8% useless "naughties" and less than a 5% chance to get a mechbay or total 500 MC respectively, which if you get all 100 games in, youre bound to get both, but if you dont, you might, you might not. Even if you do get in 100, there wll be people with, and without. Its random.

Just hardcapping the items they hand out, is imho, better for the largest portion of the player base, the space poor, than it is to hard cap the pulls.

#26 Captain Stiffy

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 12:38 PM

"stop complaining about free stuff"

This is an idiotic statement. Just because it's free doesn't mean that the way that it is done can't be improved.

#27 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 12:38 PM

i would rather i hidden Legacy Code,
so it locks out MC after you get 1000,
it locks out MechBays after you get 2-3,
it locks out premium time after you get 5-7days,

you wouldnt know their is a cap or lock,
but i would rather that but more wins

#28 KraftySOT

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 12:40 PM

View Postoccusoj, on 19 December 2014 - 12:33 PM, said:

So giving a player 100 pieces of free stuff is punishment?

PGI does a lot of things wrong but this event isnt one of them. Its great and even better than the halloween event since its spread out over a bigger timeframe which allows more people to participate and win free stuff.

To some it will be. Because its randomly handed out.

The difference between the space rich who it randomly punishes, and the space poor that it randomly punishes, is that the space poor are a much larger group and will be hit harder, at random, and to them it matters, more, than to the space rich.

If I dont get a mechbay.

I dont care.

If joeblow I spent my 60 dollars, cant afford more, really want to play CW but im getting stomped because....robots...doesnt get one, that not only hurts his chances of sticking around to drop another 60 next year some time, as well as hurts me, in that he might not stick around so as that I can shoots him.

These huge events are kind of "thank yous" to the community in one regard, and are definitely "equipping" people for the "huge new thing" that they planned to drop on us at chrismas, back in August.

Many of the space poors right now are only participating in CW, because of the Halloween event.

Tis what it is.

Notice that EVE, gives you a bunch of fireworks and a glamor item.

PGI is handing out stuff that actually makes you more effective in game.

#29 Bobzilla

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,003 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 19 December 2014 - 12:42 PM

Chill people. All he is saying is random isn't as good as progression. If the point is for people to play more, having a system that doesn't necessarily reward more play is not optimal.

You could get nothing and think not worth play in, or get what you want right away and stop play in.

Progression ensures rewards for continued play.

#30 KraftySOT

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 12:44 PM

View PostBobzilla, on 19 December 2014 - 12:42 PM, said:

Chill people. All he is saying is random isn't as good as progression. If the point is for people to play more, having a system that doesn't necessarily reward more play is not optimal.

You could get nothing and think not worth play in, or get what you want right away and stop play in.

At least someone gets it.

#31 Voivode

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 12:48 PM

View PostBobzilla, on 19 December 2014 - 12:42 PM, said:

My problem with it is he doesn't actually know that PGI isn't doing it that way. I'm sure they're well aware of the ups and downs or RNG choosing prizes and may very well have placed limitations to how many of the "premium" prizes get handed out to each player and just didn't explicitly say so. Either way, it seems excessively nit-picky, to me at least.

#32 KraftySOT

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 12:51 PM

Totally fair, they might be doing that behind the scenes.

If the are. Thumbs up. Ignore the crap out of me.

#33 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 19 December 2014 - 01:12 PM

I see this at work almost every day.

In sales, people will want things for free, things they attribute no value to.
People come to my upscale gym and want the same price as the $10 spot next town over. 'IM only gonna use the treadmill, i dont wanna pay more'. I inform them they would be paying more for convenience and if they dont value it to go to the ten dollar gym. They then get mad????

They want it, but dont value it enough to work or spend for it.

And the lesser the value, the moar complaint.

If the event was: get a score of 30/80 for 100 matches and you will be entered in a raffle for one chance at a GOLD KING CRAB!!!!!
Everyone would be going crazy!!! or 'meh i dont care'...but fewer complaints im pretty sure.

But in an event where you can win small 'worthless' fun things, people will gripe from here to Alabama and back.

Part is bad parenting and personality. Other part is being raised in an environment with too much advertising.
My non-licensed armchair analysis.

#34 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,876 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 01:55 PM

Well I do have to agree that during the Halloween event, I played 93 matchs in one weekend so considering I am off this entire weekend plus off Wed through Sun next week, it does very much suck we only get 100 awards. But they don't have to do any event so I guess I really shouldn't complain.

#35 Roadkill

• 3,610 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 01:58 PM

View PostInspectorG, on 19 December 2014 - 01:12 PM, said:

you will be entered in a raffle for one chance at a GOLD KING CRAB!!!!!

I... but...

uh...

I know I shouldn't, but...

me wantses

#36 blood4blood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 527 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 19 December 2014 - 02:15 PM

Extra accounts are free if you really want to get more than 100 rewards. I created an alt account at about the same time as my main, all the giveaways has gotten me up to about 8-9 bays (currently 8 mechs, pretty sure I have an extra bay but I haven't logged on it in a few days) without spending any money on it. Events like this are pure win, especially for the space poor. Hell, I might even start a 3rd account just for giggles since the event rewards might give some very nice starter stuff.

#37 FETTY WAP

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 456 posts
  • Locationspaaaace

Posted 19 December 2014 - 02:16 PM

It's free stuff, man.

#38 Christof Romulus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 898 posts
  • LocationAS7-D(F), GRF-1N(P)

Posted 19 December 2014 - 02:19 PM

View PostKraftySOT, on 19 December 2014 - 11:44 AM, said:

Didnt notice the fine print...

Thats pretty cheesy. A two week long christmas event that promises to give out less than the weekend halloween event.

Either PGI got a little grubby with the pass'em'outs (I guess realizing people could easily get a dozen mechbays) or theyre pagans, and just enjoy Halloween more.

Which is fine.

But still.

Would have been nice to just be wide open. Getting 14 of yer 25 as tricks or coal or whatever it is based on an RNG is pretty lame.

Some unlucky sap wont get anything useful for all 25 of his games. Some other guy will get 1000 MC and 4 mechbays. Because RNG.

I realize some of us with an abnormal amount of time ( I was one of the 1000 MC, 4 mechbays from the halloween event guys with 120 something qualifying matches) would really rake in stuff for christmas...

But youre punishing the low end, to curb the top end.

Whats worse, forking over alot of stuff to the very small percentage of us who are already space rich at the top end, or further dampening the chances of casuals ever becoming space rich.

So... in this scenario PGI... would be the Gift horse?

Hmm... so I guess that makes you...

#39 occusoj

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 452 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 03:25 PM

To some it will be. Because its randomly handed out.

Ok, guess we can agree to disagree on that one.
Free stuff, even if its just some CBIlls, a few small lasers and AC2 ammo still dont make up a punishment for me. Might not really usefull but it was free. Might as well just ignore it. I fail to see how it is a disadvantage to get free stuff in this game.

If joeblow I spent my 60 dollars, cant afford more

4 mechbays is about 7$.
So, one mechbay is less than two bucks if the MC already are in the account. Else its 7$ to buy the smallest MC package.
Thats not really that much to be honest and if he spent 60 but cant afford 7 more theres a bigger problem than not having enought mechbays for CW.
Keeping things like inflation, risk of job loss,... in mind its already somewhat unlikely that joe - who cant afford 60+7$ this year - will have 60 to spend next year. Id worry more about costs for food, gas and heating in that case than a mechbay in MWO.

If you make 1000$ per month for 4x40 hours of work thats about 6,25 per hour and close to the price of 4 mechbays. Since its highly unlikely to game MWO for 4 mechbays (or their equivalent in MC) in one hour, joe is better off spending an additional hour at work if he has the chance to do some more time.

We dont even know the distribution mechanic behind the prices, maybe its not a pure RNG.

#40 Burktross

• Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 19 December 2014 - 03:49 PM

View Postoccusoj, on 19 December 2014 - 12:06 PM, said:

Yes it does. You can win 100 prizes.

I, as space poor, see no reaseon to complain about that.

Aye, seems pretty fair to be honest.
Encourages ticking all the gamemode boxes too!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users