Community Warfare Faq/tutorial?

4 replies to this topic

#1 DevsAdvocate

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 06:02 PM

Is there an instruction guide to how CW is supposed to work somewhere? I'd like to fight for one of the IS factions, but my clan sent me an invite and they're strictly Clan Wolf only... I don't want to play Clan Wolf because I don't want to buy clan mechs. I want to play IS. Right now my contract is permanent... what does that mean? Can I break it?

Then, how do I play with IS?

Thanks!

#2 Kanatta Jing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 09:50 PM

You need an IS Clan to play for the IS. Or to get a private contract with one of the IS factions but those are over ruled by Clan affiliations.

So yeah you need to ditch your friends...

Or try out those trial clan mechs

#3 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 19 December 2014 - 10:55 PM

No tutorial as far as I know. There really should be. People shouldn't have to dig through old forum posts. One of the reasons we need a community manager ASAP.

If you leave your unit, you can break your contract. You don't have to be part of a unit to fight for any faction. You can be a Lone Wolf. And then you can choose to join an IS unit or a mercenary unit, as you please.

When you've left your unit and chosen a new faction, you just click on any planet on the galaxy map you want to attack or defend. Matchmaker will set you up with teammates from the same faction.

#4 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 19 December 2014 - 11:00 PM

The best place is the current CW thread that Paul regularly updates and Russ posts in. It's up to date and pretty informative. It's also current so you don't have to dig through archives

#5 Armando

CookieWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 938 posts
  • LocationRaiding the Cookie Jar

Posted 19 December 2014 - 11:00 PM

No tutorial that I could find, but I did put this together for a different tread (also relevant here)...
Community Warfare is brand new (still in beta) and even seasoned MWO veterans can be confused by the new faction user interface.
First you will need to select a faction, you can choose between one of the Clans (Jade Falcons, Wolf, Ghost Bear, Smoke Jaguar) or IS Houses (Kurita, Liao, Marik, Free Rasalhague Republic, Steiner, Davion).

Some things to think about before you make your selection...

...You can chose how long your contract is, the longer the contract the greater the bonuses. You CAN break your contract but there is a wait period before you can choose a contract with a new Clan / House.

...The Clan / House you choose will determine where on the map you get ti fight. Each Clan / House is limited in the number of planets they can attack, and how many planets they have to defend during any given attack phase (once every 24 hours the map updates to reflect the planets +gained and or -lost for the Clan / House you have chosen).
Second, you have to select a 'drop deck'. These are the four mechs you will be able to play during your attack or defend mission. If you don't own ANY mechs you can still choose between the trial mechs that everyone in the game has access to. Right now the four mechs in your drop deck have a min weight of 140 tons and a max weight of 240 tons.

If you do have 'owned' mechs in your mech bay you are still limited by Clan or IS. If you selected a Clan as your faction you can ONLY drop Clan mechs while the same is true if you selected and IS House as your faction (you can ONLY drop IS mechs).
Finally once you have selected both your faction and set your drop deck you are ready to participate in community warfare. If you are not social you can drop all by yourself, it the top right hand corner of the faction map there is a list of planets your faction can attack or defend. If you want to attack, select one of the planets with a red sword to the left of the planet name. If you want to defend a planet, select one of the planets with a blue shield to the left of the planets name.

Notes:

Just because you are 'attacking' doesn't mean that you will be on the offense...if you faction has enough wins on the planet your Clan / House has pushed out the faction who was in control of the planet and you might have to defend their counter attack)

Same is true with defense. Just because you are 'defending' doesn't mean that you will be on defense....if you faction has losses on the planet your Clan / House has been pushed out by he faction who is attacking and you may have to counter attack to regain control).

This last part IMHO is very important: While it is true, you CAN drop all by yourself...this is COMMUNITY Warfare. It is much, Much, MUCH more enjoyable experience if you are dropping with a unit. In order to drop with a unit you need to find and join a unit.

Each House has a Recruitment Thread on the MWO Website...
The Great House Davion!
The Great House Kurita!
The Great House Liao!
The Great House Marik!
The Great House Steiner!
The Great Free Rasalhague Republic!

Each Clan has a section as well...
Clan Wolf
Clan Jade Falcon
Clan Ghost Bear
Clan Smoke Jaguar

You can also choose to become a Mercenary...
Mercenary Corps

If you ARE going to join a unit, most ask that you have a microphone and the FREE Team Speak Application installed on your computer. Look HERE for a list of common public team speak sever information.

There is SO much more, but hopefully this information will be a good start. I can not stress enough how much more fun community warfare is when you have a unit to drop with, get a microphone (while you can spend a lot of money for a mic, there are one you can pick up for less than 15 dollars)...and get Team Speak (It is FREE).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users