My New-User Experience With Cw...

8 replies to this topic

#1 Nullzero

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 06:51 PM

So this was my experience today with Community Warfare. Warning: Derp speak below.

My buddy says "Hey man, you should check out MWO again. The CW stuff is pretty cool." So I try to re-download the game... but there is no download button anywhere on the website. Clicking "play now" wants me to create an account... wat? I has one already. Anyway, I come to the forums to post a question "HOW TO DOWLOD GAM", but upon logging in to post, the "Play Now" button magically transforms into a "Download Now" button. Derp.

I log into the game, and chat with my buddy on Skype or whatever. He invites me to his group, I join, and he says I have to choose 4 mechs for drop... and I'm like wat? You don't see an option for that?, he says. And I'm like... wat?

Then he says oh wait, you probably have to join a faction to do this CW stuff. Just join Steiner... and I'm like durrr blue fist go go go. Then we still can't drop in CW... so my friend and I are like wtf...

Then my friend asks his clan mates wtf is up. It turns out I have to join his clan to do CW stuff. So I'm like durrr, give me invitezzz. My buddy is like durrr, there's no invite button for clan, wtf! So I guess he is not a senior member or something... so he has to get someone on Teamspeak to type in my ridiuclous username to get invited.

Anyway, I get invited, and I click to accept. But nope! Error! "Your contract is longer than the Unit Contract, so go **** yourself." And I'm like... wat?

So my buddy says try cancelling my Steiner faction contract... so I go to the break-contract button pay FIVE-HUNDRED-THOUSAND SPACE-DOLLARS... then try to join my friend's clan. Nope! "Your contract is longer than Unit Contract, I told you to go **** yourself already, get out of here nub." So I'm like... wat? I try to break contract again, but I discover that it actually DIDN'T break my contract... it just reduced it to 24 hours! So now I am locked out of playing with my friend for the day!

WTF CW SUX.

Edited by Nullzero, 19 December 2014 - 06:53 PM.

#2 Brody319

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 07:59 PM

boohoo, who would have guessed that breaking contracts has penalties!?

#3 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,669 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 19 December 2014 - 08:26 PM

My question would be, if your friend is a clanner why did he tell you to join an Innersphere organization?

But in the notes/etc, groups only made up of the same unit can drop in CW at one time. So in order for you to join him in a CW combat drop you would have had to join his unit, which would have assigned you to the faction they are currently attached to.

Then you would have been able to use only Clan mechs.

On the other hand, dropping in the normal, public queue there are no restrictions.

#4 Vapor NINE

• PipPipPip
  • Clan Exemplar
  • Clan Exemplar
  • 65 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 09:03 PM

edit

Edited by Vapor NINE, 19 December 2014 - 10:15 PM.

#5 Armando

CookieWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 938 posts
  • LocationRaiding the Cookie Jar

Posted 19 December 2014 - 10:54 PM

Nullzero -

Community Warfare is brand new (still in beta) and even seasoned MWO veterans can be confused by the new faction user interface.
First you will need to select a faction, you can choose between one of the Clans (Jade Falcons, Wolf, Ghost Bear, Smoke Jaguar) or IS Houses (Kurita, Liao, Marik, Free Rasalhague Republic, Steiner, Davion).

Some things to think about before you make your selection...

...You can chose how long your contract is, the longer the contract the greater the bonuses. You CAN break your contract but there is a wait period before you can choose a contract with a new Clan / House.

...The Clan / House you choose will determine where on the map you get ti fight. Each Clan / House is limited in the number of planets they can attack, and how many planets they have to defend during any given attack phase (once every 24 hours the map updates to reflect the planets +gained and or -lost for the Clan / House you have chosen).
Second, you have to select a 'drop deck'. These are the four mechs you will be able to play during your attack or defend mission. If you don't own ANY mechs you can still choose between the trial mechs that everyone in the game has access to. Right now the four mechs in your drop deck have a min weight of 140 tons and a max weight of 240 tons.

If you do have 'owned' mechs in your mech bay you are still limited by Clan or IS. If you selected a Clan as your faction you can ONLY drop Clan mechs while the same is true if you selected and IS House as your faction (you can ONLY drop IS mechs).
Finally once you have selected both your faction and set your drop deck you are ready to participate in community warfare. If you are not social you can drop all by yourself, it the top right hand corner of the faction map there is a list of planets your faction can attack or defend. If you want to attack, select one of the planets with a red sword to the left of the planet name. If you want to defend a planet, select one of the planets with a blue shield to the left of the planets name.

Notes:

Just because you are 'attacking' doesn't mean that you will be on the offense...if you faction has enough wins on the planet your Clan / House has pushed out the faction who was in control of the planet and you might have to defend their counter attack)

Same is true with defense. Just because you are 'defending' doesn't mean that you will be on defense....if you faction has losses on the planet your Clan / House has been pushed out by he faction who is attacking and you may have to counter attack to regain control).

This last part IMHO is very important: While it is true, you CAN drop all by yourself...this is COMMUNITY Warfare. It is much, Much, MUCH more enjoyable experience if you are dropping with a unit. In order to drop with a unit you need to find and join a unit.

Each House has a Recruitment Thread on the MWO Website...
The Great House Davion!
The Great House Kurita!
The Great House Liao!
The Great House Marik!
The Great House Steiner!
The Great Free Rasalhague Republic!

Each Clan has a section as well...
Clan Wolf
Clan Jade Falcon
Clan Ghost Bear
Clan Smoke Jaguar

You can also choose to become a Mercenary...
Mercenary Corps

If you ARE going to join a unit, most ask that you have a microphone and the FREE Team Speak Application installed on your computer. Look HERE for a list of common public team speak sever information.

There is SO much more, but hopefully this information will be a good start. I can not stress enough how much more fun community warfare is when you have a unit to drop with, get a microphone (while you can spend a lot of money for a mic, there are one you can pick up for less than 15 dollars)...and get Team Speak (It is FREE).

Edited by Armando, 19 December 2014 - 10:57 PM.

#6 ImperialKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 04:50 AM

MWO on the whole likes to kick new players in the nuts.

There are NO indications to the hidden cooldown period when you break a contract nor does it tell you that you can't join a unit while under a contract.

In fact, the game doesn't tell you you ANYTHING at all. AND the UI is convoluted.

As much I have enjoyed the Invasion game mode, the interface sucks. It needs to be fixed

#7 Scratx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 05:45 AM

View Postknightsljx, on 20 December 2014 - 04:50 AM, said:

MWO on the whole likes to kick new players in the nuts.

There are NO indications to the hidden cooldown period when you break a contract nor does it tell you that you can't join a unit while under a contract.

In fact, the game doesn't tell you you ANYTHING at all. AND the UI is convoluted.

As much I have enjoyed the Invasion game mode, the interface sucks. It needs to be fixed

To clarify, you can't join a unit whose contract is shorter than yours. This is counter-intuitive... until you learn that, when you join a unit, you inherit their contract.

Yeah, it sucks when the unit's contract is about to expire or is under a week. Not sure what can be done about it, though. Allowing someone to join a unit with a longer contract than the unit's has side effects that are not desirable, either.

Perhaps the easiest fix would be to just modify the unit invite process to allow people out of contract to join a unit under contract.

On a side note, PGI's TODO list includes allowing groups made out of players of the same faction and not just the same unit. So the OP's main problem is actually already on the list to address.

#8 GernMiester

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 169 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 10:08 AM

View PostNullzero, on 19 December 2014 - 06:51 PM, said:

So this was my experience today with Community Warfare. Warning: Derp speak below.

My buddy says "Hey man, you should check out MWO again. The CW stuff is pretty cool." So I try to re-download the game... but there is no download button anywhere on the website. Clicking "play now" wants me to create an account... wat? I has one already. Anyway, I come to the forums to post a question "HOW TO DOWLOD GAM", but upon logging in to post, the "Play Now" button magically transforms into a "Download Now" button. Derp.

I log into the game, and chat with my buddy on Skype or whatever. He invites me to his group, I join, and he says I have to choose 4 mechs for drop... and I'm like wat? You don't see an option for that?, he says. And I'm like... wat?

Then he says oh wait, you probably have to join a faction to do this CW stuff. Just join Steiner... and I'm like durrr blue fist go go go. Then we still can't drop in CW... so my friend and I are like wtf...

Then my friend asks his clan mates wtf is up. It turns out I have to join his clan to do CW stuff. So I'm like durrr, give me invitezzz. My buddy is like durrr, there's no invite button for clan, wtf! So I guess he is not a senior member or something... so he has to get someone on Teamspeak to type in my ridiuclous username to get invited.

Anyway, I get invited, and I click to accept. But nope! Error! "Your contract is longer than the Unit Contract, so go **** yourself." And I'm like... wat?

So my buddy says try cancelling my Steiner faction contract... so I go to the break-contract button pay FIVE-HUNDRED-THOUSAND SPACE-DOLLARS... then try to join my friend's clan. Nope! "Your contract is longer than Unit Contract, I told you to go **** yourself already, get out of here nub." So I'm like... wat? I try to break contract again, but I discover that it actually DIDN'T break my contract... it just reduced it to 24 hours! So now I am locked out of playing with my friend for the day!

WTF CW SUX.

This is what kills off games. It should not be work or a challenge just to join a match. If you don't see it then you need more help than can be given.

#9 Nullzero

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 11:59 AM

View PostArmando, on 19 December 2014 - 10:54 PM, said:

There is SO much more, but hopefully this information will be a good start.

Thank you for this!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users