Are Bots Starting To Become An Issue?

BattleMechs

68 replies to this topic

#21 B0oN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 11:56 PM

Errrm, how is this game "alot harder to get to grips with" ?

It´s a pretty straight-forward shooter, besides the lore knowledge .
And driving tanks is in FPS since a long time .

My guess is that many people just like to start up a game and press buttons instead of informing themselves beforehand what could be waiting for them/getting basic information and tend to not even look at their keyboard/mouse/controller settings to give them ideas .

Oh, the influence of the lesser electronic race :P

#22 Griggio

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 252 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 11:59 PM

Nothing like that sinking feeling you get when 3 minutes after initial contact you check the mini-map and realize you are the only one left alive (except maybe that one AFK guy)

#23 That Guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 12:15 AM

View PostRad Hanzo, on 19 December 2014 - 11:56 PM, said:

Errrm, how is this game "alot harder to get to grips with" ?

It´s a pretty straight-forward shooter, besides the lore knowledge .
And driving tanks is in FPS since a long time .

My guess is that many people just like to start up a game and press buttons instead of informing themselves beforehand what could be waiting for them/getting basic information and tend to not even look at their keyboard/mouse/controller settings to give them ideas .

Oh, the influence of the lesser electronic race :P

like i said. this game is alot harder to play than we veterans realize. throttle, torso movement, leg movement, arm movement plus multiple weapon types and groups is alot harder to manage than a standard FPS.

and button mashers are to be expected in any FTP game. but i dont understand how someone can get into a game with out so much as watching a youtube video, or at least looking at the controls in options, but hey, it happens. if someone dosnt put in the effort to learn beforehand, they probably were never going to stick around anyway

#24 ShadowWolf Kell

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 12:21 AM

View PostThat Guy, on 20 December 2014 - 12:15 AM, said:

like i said. this game is alot harder to play than we veterans realize. throttle, torso movement, leg movement, arm movement plus multiple weapon types and groups is alot harder to manage than a standard FPS.

and button mashers are to be expected in any FTP game. but i dont understand how someone can get into a game with out so much as watching a youtube video, or at least looking at the controls in options, but hey, it happens. if someone dosnt put in the effort to learn beforehand, they probably were never going to stick around anyway

Bit hard to believe when some of the people being discussed are running around with a modified camo pattern and in same cases an elited mech.

I don't think anyone's really referring to the new guy in a trial mech with default camo.

#25 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 20 December 2014 - 01:29 AM

Pugs?
newbies?
wrong chassis.

seriously, since the challange is easily, I piloted my nova again, and ouch, this chassis creates just headache. a single half second of a wrong step and you are cored. In some mechs tiny mistakes are big issues, and then in others even big mistakes have only tiny results.

further, when teams start badly, like the assaults in river city at the dropship, and the lights cna instant swarm them and a few seconds later the others of their team arrive, they are toast ithin 2 minutes

ls average non CW match is like 5-8 minutes, so 4 dead people after 3 minutes is rather standard, especially on the smaller maps.

#26 Darzok

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 255 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 06:01 AM

There are people that are so bad you would be hard pushed to tell them apart form a bot set to rush forward and die.

That been said you can some times misjudge the enemy team and all most instantly die by walking around a blind bend in to a duo of Direwolfs when trying to flank thinking you are unseen.

I came form WOT and even the worst pug teams in MWO would be seen as elite pro players in WOT so just be happy we got people smart enough to shoot back when they rush in to die.

Edited by Darzok, 20 December 2014 - 06:02 AM.

#27 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 20 December 2014 - 06:14 AM

Yes, players can be that bad, I remember one match just after I got my dire wolves, still in stock configs, I had a Raven pilot try to face tank me in a Dire Wolf...

When he died he spamed global chat about how I must have been hacking the game / cheating.... Then ended quickly when I responded with:

"It's not cheating or hacking, when you take a 35t mech and try to face tank a 100t mech.... I carry more weapons than your mech weighs...."

#28 Melon Lord

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 06:24 AM

View PostDarzok, on 20 December 2014 - 06:01 AM, said:

I came form WOT and even the worst pug teams in MWO would be seen as elite pro players in WOT so just be happy we got people smart enough to shoot back when they rush in to die.

This made me laugh, and makes me both want to/never in a thousand years play WOT.

#29 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 20 December 2014 - 06:47 AM

View PostAresye, on 19 December 2014 - 11:19 PM, said:

Just run the hell outta there. You'll take some heavy damage, your back will probably be cored, but you'll be alive.

Plenty of times in the past I'd find myself in similar situations and decided to go out fighting.

Nowadays if I get into that situation I just get out as fast as possible. Some of my highest damage games were ones I barely escaped from a bad situation cored, and went on to play the rest of the match.

Numbers matter. You may do a few mechs on the other team some decent damage before you fall, but you're far more beneficial to the team ALIVE.

exactly this.

I can't count the number of times, especially in my Centurions and Hunchies, I have had one or more torso wide open, early in the match (usually courtesy of a Derp Whale, and me being a split second late on seeing it...OUCH!) only to be the last mech standing, 10 minutes laters, with 1000 dmg, 5+ kills. While I can't say it always works out, I do think the majority of my best matches came after getting the Bad Touch early.

And there is little as satisfying as finding that DW that molested you in the beginning, at the end of the match, and ending him.

#30 KodiakGW

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 1,775 posts
  • LocationNE USA

Posted 20 December 2014 - 07:17 AM

View PostAndi Nagasia, on 19 December 2014 - 11:36 PM, said:

i was too far up the creak with out a paddle, but my team was playing peka boo,

This, especially when playing Conquest. With 2/3 of the team, just finished capping one point. Another point is within line of site and only 1-2 mechs visible. Another 2 points are being capped by enemy. So I start pushing the next point. PUG Seems to be in line with me. I take a few hits from ML beyond optimal range as I move in. Then I see to my left the other 4 enemy mechs that had not even bothered to cap. I keep moving full throttle to get to a safe point thinking the rest of the PUG will start to take easy shots on the enemy mechs that are standing still shooting at me. Then I die.

Go to view my teammates cameras and see that they all stopped as soon as they were hit with ML fire and are playing peek-a-shot with the 1-2 visable mechs, which are now well under cover.

#31 Sethliopod

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 217 posts
  • LocationInside the smoking wreck.

Posted 20 December 2014 - 07:30 AM

Game starts.
One group stretches out in a long chain.
The other a big mass.
The second group rolls up the back of the first group, killing 3, 4, 5 of the first group, merely because they were slow, not necessarily bad, nor dumb, just out-gunned and unlucky.
Four minute mark, group one stops chasing a leg-shooting squirrel, notices it's takingbig losses, and groups up, attempting to recover. Thought that was a common, well-known result in MWO. Guess it could be bots. Hard to know without Voice.

#32 GeistHrafn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 450 posts
  • LocationMB, Canada

Posted 20 December 2014 - 07:49 AM

Or those matches where two lances break off to chase a JENNER, spreading halfway across the map for everyone to get picked off one at a time...

#33 Mercules

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 5,136 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 20 December 2014 - 07:57 AM

View PostFupDup, on 19 December 2014 - 10:59 PM, said:

Whenever I see a player with under 100 damage, I has a sad.

(Although I prefer to have an absolute bare minimum of 200 damage to not be ashamed).

I did 0 damage in a match last night, but I think I also helped swing the tide of battle. I circled around and ran in close with my Locust and launched a UAV that lit up 12 mechs. It also lit up that I had someone coming up behind me hard so I went forward right as a Misery turned away from a shot. He saw me and I swear it was a headshot because there was a flash of LLs and I was dead.

Spectating immediately I watched a couple mechs on our side with LRMs melt several of the enemy mechs before the UAV expired. We won but with only 4 of our mechs left so if that Dire and Timberwolf hadn't gone down to LRMs in the beginning like that...

Damage isn't always an accurate reflection of what made a difference in a match.

#34 TripleEhBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 700 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 December 2014 - 08:03 AM

View PostGriggio, on 19 December 2014 - 11:59 PM, said:

Nothing like that sinking feeling you get when 3 minutes after initial contact you check the mini-map and realize you are the only one left alive (except maybe that one AFK guy)

I pilot mediums, so I usually get stuck on the light mech lance. It's pretty painful when you see their deaths show up in the killfeed before you've even MADE contact with the other team.

#35 The Movement

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 08:20 AM

the problem is this community is bad so all your new players have no one to learn from or work with or rather no one they want to learn from or work with.

Seriously one of the worst community's right up with league of legends.

#36 NovaFury

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 386 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 08:24 AM

At least bots would have frighteningly good aiming skills.

#37 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 20 December 2014 - 08:28 AM

View PostMandyB, on 19 December 2014 - 11:25 PM, said:

Or some people just like to fight and not hide, I generally rush in, usually get 1-2 kills and 300+ damage then I die.

These "players" arent getting kills or doing damage. Usually just spreading damage around, not removing components and somply dying at 100dmg done, if that even!

#38 Ovion

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 08:40 AM

View PostLava Cookies, on 19 December 2014 - 11:00 PM, said:

I don't.. understand sometimes.
I notice it more from the enemy team, but the people that usually die first are lights or fast mediums.
They just run into the WHOLE TEAM and stay there, running around until they die in a few seconds.
Doing like.. 77 damage total. Why? You're not the flash. Stop doing that.
This is often a grinding tactic.
It's a bit of a douchey one, but it is (or at least was) effective.

Basically the idea is run in, hit as many mechs as you can to get assists and hope that the team wins to bring those assists and a proper reward.
Once you die, quit match and repeat with another mech, often keeping 3-5 mechs on the ground at a time.

As said, it's a bit douchey, but for newbies grinding C-bills, it is a faster, consistent way of doing it.

Getting 50-150k a match, but 10-15 matches an hour.

I don't know how the new reward system affected it, but I doubt by much.

#39 LordBraxton

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 08:57 AM

I confess, this morning I died on tourmaline in under 3 minutes in my Banshee.

However I pulled 390 damage in the ~60 seconds of combat I saw. (well actually we were getting hit from match start, but my weapons werent in range for a couple minutes)

I tried to start a push... it happens...

Edited by LordBraxton, 20 December 2014 - 08:57 AM.

#40 Mudhutwarrior

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 20 December 2014 - 09:20 AM

Most often in pugs everyone goes one way and tagging along in an assault I find when I get there they all turn around and head the other way. That usually ends in myself and any other assault facing the other team without support. The crowd is a fickle master in solo. Yeah I do see some totally stupid moves along with true idiots most always taking command but on a whole the good matches even out.

Sometimes you drop with good players and the gods sing. Most often its just a couple that turn the tide in a rough one with little support.

Welcome to solo where you never know what your going to get.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users