Loadout Advice?

19 replies to this topic

#1 Nutz4floorball

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 11:47 PM

Greetings trothkin-

Would like to see what 4 mech loadouts you prefer. I am but a poor warrior and will be using the trial variants. Wanted to see what you used and why, esp if you use trials like me.

Aim true-

Jefe

#2 Bulvar Jorgensson

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 164 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 01:10 AM

Try to avoid using trials in CW, they have bad armour coverage, poor heat management (by that I mean, when people see weapons on a mech they fire them, a lot and on an Adder or Nova your cooked) and are above all TRIAL mechs have NO SKILL unlocks nor the ability to use modules (no UAV or Airstrikes (which are pretty standard to help the team win).

using clan trial mechs in normal drops can build the C-bills to buy regular clan mechs (problem is that is a lot o C-bills, for 2xSC and 2xHellbringer (laser vomit, and Gauss builds)

but I hate to advocate MC purchasing mechs if you can avoid it, but a clan package works out FASTER, better and more fun than running trial mechs period.

if pgi could fix trial mechs to be slightly more new player friendly (and by this I mean proper new account players) the player base might improve and grow.

anyhow GL trothkin and I hope you find honour and glory on the battlefield.

#3 Bagor Aga

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 530 posts
  • Locationramat.:gan

Posted 23 December 2014 - 01:05 AM

start with KFoxes as lights are cheap,- EMS and erPPC capable. Alternative is Koshi from 2d wave pack with same build ECM+erPPC - very positive responses with good fps. Hellbringer is awesome but pricy but awesome but...
4-deck depends on your style and team mates. Better you draft to unit to feel real CW-beta time. [2x SCR 2x HBR] as mentioned above. Don't hesitate to use LRMs and streaks - lrm are good in def but don't bring you in top dmg; streaks are good to counter fight lights; srm are best for Omega def.
Overall Stormcrow is most universal platform in support; Hellbr - most wanted; Koshi - fun and furious starter kit.

GL, look for unit

Edited by Bagor Aga, 24 December 2014 - 12:49 AM.

#4 CGB Behemoth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 418 posts
  • LocationRussian Federation

Posted 23 December 2014 - 01:19 AM

First of all try to play with unit-groups. This will help you to achieve more CB even on trial mechs.
Trial deck i recommend to use:
Adder
Nova
StormCrow
Timberwolf
Prime variants of this mechs could be played from the distance, so you will not have trouble with heat management.

P.S. Using C-LRM as original MRM (300-400 meters fight) could bring you in top of your team in one moment.

#5 Bregor Edain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 263 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 04:04 AM

Step 1: Join Clan Ghost Bear International
Step 2: Get your own Clan mechs (3 Stormcrows and 1 Timberwolf, could be others too) and equip em with lots o lazors
Step 3: ??
Step 4: Profit
Step5: If step 2 trough 4 did not work you did not do step 1 properly or at all and I will issue a Trial of Possession should you not do step 1 again by yourself. :)

#6 BSK

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 11:21 AM

You recommend the trial Nova? He is not in a solahma unit ..

#7 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 23 December 2014 - 01:00 PM

View PostBSK, on 23 December 2014 - 11:21 AM, said:

You recommend the trial Nova? He is not in a solahma unit ..

A Solamha unit would hardly receive a fully functional OmniMech i think..

#8 BSK

• Mercenary Rank 7
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 11:23 PM

A Nova is an infantry mech, with many grab handles on its limbs and hardpoints for elementals.

But as a trial mech without any modules for cool shots or any skills in heat dissipation unlocked, there are other mechs with better prerequisites.

#9 Nutz4floorball

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 11:59 AM

View PostBregor Edain, on 23 December 2014 - 04:04 AM, said:

Step 1: Join Clan Ghost Bear International
Step 2: Get your own Clan mechs (3 Stormcrows and 1 Timberwolf, could be others too) and equip em with lots o lazors
Step 3: ??
Step 4: Profit
Step5: If step 2 trough 4 did not work you did not do step 1 properly or at all and I will issue a Trial of Possession should you not do step 1 again by yourself. :)

Yeah- I'll join a clan here in a bit once i have more spare time; am about to move. Until then I'm PUG.

#10 Marcel Bekker

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 06:57 PM

View PostBSK, on 23 December 2014 - 11:23 PM, said:

A Nova is an infantry mech, with many grab handles on its limbs and hardpoints for elementals.

But as a trial mech without any modules for cool shots or any skills in heat dissipation unlocked, there are other mechs with better prerequisites.

ALL Omnimechs are capable of transporting Elementals, and the Nova in its Prime Config, positioned near Omega can be devastating with proper trigger discipline, opponent mechs legs and rear torsi just melt away. The perk and module issue is a problem of course, but it can still be effective.

#11 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 24 December 2014 - 08:38 PM

View PostMarcel Bekker, on 24 December 2014 - 06:57 PM, said:

ALL Omnimechs are capable of transporting Elementals, and the Nova in its Prime Config, positioned near Omega can be devastating with proper trigger discipline, opponent mechs legs and rear torsi just melt away. The perk and module issue is a problem of course, but it can still be effective.

On top of that a lot of pilots like to look for the "real" threat that is presented by a Timber Wolf or Storm Crow.... Silly freebirths...

#12 _Comrade_

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 12:50 AM

View PostCyclonerM, on 23 December 2014 - 01:00 PM, said:

A Solamha unit would hardly receive a fully functional OmniMech i think..

which is why the nova is perfect :)

#13 charov

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,110 posts
  • LocationLondon - UK

Posted 25 December 2014 - 02:44 AM

Dear OP,
you can take any mech you want and have good results as long as you are not using trial mechs. You need skills, modules and consumables on each mech you want to use in CW in order to do not handicap your team.
I suggest you to avoid the CW until you have two mechs at master level at least.

I usually play only 4fun mechs. I really hate meta builds&mechs, so I create a deck from these mechs:
- Hellbringer: 4xERML, 2XERLL, ECM (I often use 2xhellbringers)
- Mad Dog: 4xLRM5, 2xSSRM6, BAP, TAG
- Gargoyle: 6xSPL, LBX10 (we don't have the executioner, unfortunately) or TW (almost same build, LBX10, 2xMPL, 4xSPL)
- Adder: 2xSSRM6, BAP, 2xMPL
- Kit Fox: ER PPC, 2xSSRM4, ECM

If you don't have a clan mech ATM, I suggest you to start from the Stormcrow. Fast, reliable, good hardpoints and hitboxes (hide your legs, though). You can build it as a laser vomit support, light hunger (mandatory against the unkillable IS lights) or short range brawler.
Another good (and cheap) choice is the Kit Fox. It's not a scout, but it's still a good support platform. You can carry and ECM, 1-2 AMS, a LPL/ERPPC, 2xJJ and you still have enough pod space available to mount a couple of ERML+DHS, SRM6 or SSRM.
Another underrated mech is the Adder. It's not as flexible as the Kit Fox but you can make it a good SSRM boat or ERLL support.
Please don't use LRM as a primary weapon, never! If you want to use them carry backup weapons, remember to carry your own TAG (and BAP, maybe). But really, LRM boats are just wasted tons so do not take them!

#14 Zamiake

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 11:14 PM

ya you should honestly have the mechs trails are terrible.
I carry a duel gauss 8 medium dire wolf/whale (fire the left lazers then right lazers then guass till cooled)
A lancer mad dog with 5 large lasers
A nova prime with 12 medium lasers. (alpha one arm then the other. Chain fire to defend my self if needed and cool. repeat)
And a Kit fox with special ecm arm and ams. (triple ams with overload and range. Large lazer, small pulse/normal depending, and a machine gun with a 1 ton ammo)

#15 John80sk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 375 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 02:00 AM

The two better drop decks are:
2 Hellbringers 2 Stormcrows
1 Timberwolf 3 Stormcrows

Typically at least two of your mechs should revolve around longer range setups (ER Large, Laser vomit, Gauss). It's not a bad idea to have a streak crow in your deck with range/cooldown modules. The last mech can be a brawler, another streak crow, or another range mech depending on what you find yourself needing most often.

There are some other things that work, but I would use one of these decks as a jumping off point. The only good trial is the stormcrow, which apart from the weapon placement is actually a pretty good build.

#16 Harconnin

Rookie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 03:09 PM

I joined Ghost Bear= I have = NVA- Prime and 2 HNG-733C. I get on the NGNG TS in the ghost bear channels but have not seen anyone eles on- is there a TS you use other than NGNG? could use some help with decking them out to help the best way i can, If anyone can spare the time. (dont really have plans on trading my mechs for something eles LOVE THESE). one of the HNG is slow- ( I tryed changing things on it) it only runs at 39.6 K slow vary slow- but love the fire power- Hep Meh- PLZ?!!

Edited by Harconnin, 10 January 2015 - 03:11 PM.

#17 John80sk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 375 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 04:06 PM

The Highlander is an inner sphere mech, you won't be able to use it in CW while playing as the clans.

The Nova isn't the best mech, and hurts more in CW... the only thing it really excels at is generator assassination when the other team is pre-occupied, or legging if the other team is zerg rushing.

Smurfy's seems to be down at the moment, but the Nova fits I run when I do decide to dust it off are:
10 Small Pulse (rest of the tonnage to heatsinks)
12 ER Small, 4MG (1.5 ammo, rest heatsinks)
8 ER Med (rest heatsinks)
6 Med Pulse 4MG (1.5 ammo, rest heastinks)

8 ER Mediums is probably the most general purpose. I'd recommend just buying yourself 3 stormcrows though.

#18 Harconnin

Rookie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 11:45 PM

Well John80sk I sold the 2 heavy's - taking your advice - I have 2 of the Stormcrows The SCR-D and the Prime ( got to say I like the Prime better) I get better dmg out of them,last longer in battles,now i am working on getting the 3rd one and I thank you for your input! would still rather have a TS to talk through some of the upgrades and stuff, but ty again.

#19 BSK

• Mercenary Rank 7
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 12:03 PM

View PostHarconnin, on 10 January 2015 - 03:09 PM, said:

I get on the NGNG TS in the ghost bear channels but have not seen anyone eles on- is there a TS you use other than NGNG?

You can also try the Comstar na1.mech-connect.net
Try the Nova with 2 erLL and 6sl.

#20 Repasy Cooper

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,131 posts
  • LocationAlpheratz

Posted 11 January 2015 - 09:39 PM

Try fitting this guy in your lineup. Got 6 kills with this 1 mech while defending boreal vault:

TBR-SD

I was trying to emulate the TBR-D variant as closely as possible. Since the update where the jump jets got locked to the chassis, I had to downgrade the streaks from 6-tube to 4-tube, but it still deals a high amount of lock-on dmg to those pesky lings that try to rush gens, and it has the range firepower to bite back at those infernal tbolts. Best of luck.

View PostJohn80sk, on 10 January 2015 - 04:06 PM, said:

The Highlander is an inner sphere mech, you won't be able to use it in CW while playing as the clans.

The Nova isn't the best mech, and hurts more in CW... the only thing it really excels at is generator assassination when the other team is pre-occupied, or legging if the other team is zerg rushing.

Smurfy's seems to be down at the moment, but the Nova fits I run when I do decide to dust it off are:
10 Small Pulse (rest of the tonnage to heatsinks)
12 ER Small, 4MG (1.5 ammo, rest heatsinks)
8 ER Med (rest heatsinks)
6 Med Pulse 4MG (1.5 ammo, rest heastinks)

8 ER Mediums is probably the most general purpose. I'd recommend just buying yourself 3 stormcrows though.

I have used the Nova-Prime stock loadout a couple times in CW, it can actually be a pretty valuable mech to fill up your drop deck. The heat issues are a given, but after modifying my play style I found this guy most effective for finishing off mechs with their internals exposed by your teammates.

I keep all 6 lasers in the left arm group fired, but I chain fire the lasers in the right arm. The key is to never fire from more than one arm. The right arm is for sustained fire & suppression, while the left arm is for jumping out of cover juuust long enough to blow the right torso off the nearest tbolt and duck back into cover. It's worth considering. The key to this mech is to be able to stay hidden as long as possible and close the distance to the enemy, then jump out and wail on them in short bursts.

Edited by Repasy, 11 January 2015 - 09:49 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users