16 replies to this topic

#1 CaeruleusWolf

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 21 posts
  • LocationThe Lime in the Coconut

Posted 20 December 2014 - 01:25 AM

So I've been tossing the idea around to go back to a standard engine in CW. The idea is that since you will be dropping with multaple mech's, survivability is key. Any thoughts?

#2 Tristan Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 20 December 2014 - 01:45 AM

I think both options are good for CW.

As a defender, speed isn't necessarily a big deal, but firepower is very important. Attackers will often try to put down the turrets and generators as quickly as possible, and when the Orbital cannon is exposed, they will focus fire on Omega as much as possible. An XL engine typically gives you more firepower, so you can put them down faster.

As an attacker, speed is a big deal and some teams tend to push together through the gates and then get spread out naturally as their speed varies from 100+ kph to 50 kph. So the slow mechs will often get left behind in a push, and then light mechs can attack their rear armour as they waddle after their teammates. Speed also lets you move from cover to cover very rapidly, avoiding as much fire as possible while you swarm through the bases. Speed is life, as they say, and cover absorbs much more damage than the STD engine. On the other hand, once you get to the base, defenders often make the mistake (or selfish choice) to go for damage and kills instead of ignoring crippled targets. So if 5 mechs are blasting the Orbital cannon, defenders will sometimes focus fire a crippled zombie Centurion with only 2 medium lasers left, instead of focusing on the most dangerous attackers. In that case, the STD engine may work to your advantage. Of course, less firepower also means it takes longer to bring down that Orbital cannon. You have a very short window of opportunity to take it down before defenders get reinforcements, and you want to do as much damage as possible in a very short amount of time.

I'm not sure the choice between STD and XL engines has changed a lot after we started with CW. Catapults will still have XL engines, the Atlas will still pack an STD engine, I think. It's more about the individual mech than anything.

#3 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 02:04 PM

I don't run an XL on anything except Lights in CW, not even on my CPLT-K2.

I think running an XL is generally not a good idea, As an attacker, it gives the enemy an alternative to legging you that also takes out one of your rides. As a defender, it makes it easy to discourage your involvement in actively participating if they open up one side or the other.

Instead of running XL, I suggest finding ways to be more efficient with your firepower. Look at the quirks and weight of every chassis-variant and pick the ones that offer the speed+firepower you want, then go with that. Smurfy is invaluable.

#4 Koniks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 03:38 PM

XLs are useful if you need to add more speed and maneuverability. That works for a long range build where you want to determine the range of engagement or for a rushing build you don't intend to brawl with.

If you want to trade punches at medium to close ranges, you want the survivability of a STD.

Then you just have to consider the tradeoffs among speed, duraability, heat, and alpha to find an optimal fit.

Edited by Mizeur, 20 December 2014 - 03:40 PM.

#5 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 20 December 2014 - 04:49 PM

Yep as everything is team push mode there is little reason to run a Xl on anything but lights. Most my mechs are running 50% of the max speed too. I see no reason to move fast when I just have to keep up with assault mechs.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 20 December 2014 - 04:50 PM.

#6 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 05:17 PM

still totally depends on the build, chassis, and skill of the pilot.

#7 warner2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 05:20 PM

View PostCaeruleusWolf, on 20 December 2014 - 01:25 AM, said:

So I've been tossing the idea around to go back to a standard engine in CW. The idea is that since you will be dropping with multaple mech's, survivability is key. Any thoughts?

People farm IS 'mechs with XL engines.

You should be able to judge yourself. Are you dying too easily, or not? It's a judgement call after all. The XL bring benefits but they have to outweigh the costs. Me I have an XL 3D, 2 STD Thunderbolts and a Cicada in my current drop ship so I am erring on the side of standard engines for survivability in CW.

#8 Armando

CookieWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 938 posts
  • LocationRaiding the Cookie Jar

Posted 20 December 2014 - 05:51 PM

View Postwarner2, on 20 December 2014 - 05:20 PM, said:

People farm IS 'mechs with XL engines.

You should be able to judge yourself. Are you dying too easily, or not? It's a judgement call after all. The XL bring benefits but they have to outweigh the costs. Me I have an XL 3D, 2 STD Thunderbolts and a Cicada in my current drop ship so I am erring on the side of standard engines for survivability in CW.

I am split right down the middle so far....2 STD Assault mechs, 2 XL Light mechs. I have been toying around with a two Medium, 2 Heavy drop deck but I haven't taken it out in CW yet (soon).

I agree that it is a judgement call each pilot needs to make for themselves. Friend of mine tears it up in a CN9-AL mach, after match, after match....I try it and end up sleeping with the fishes. Same friend can't pilot an assault mech to save his life, while I prefer assault mechs and historically do very well in them. Know YOUR strengths as a pilot, and try to mask your weaknesses.

Edited by Armando, 20 December 2014 - 05:53 PM.

#9 Ragnar Bashmek

• PipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 60 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationChandler, TX

Posted 20 December 2014 - 05:58 PM

I tend to be a "speed is life" mech builder but I go both ways. Some mechs can't mount adequate FP with a STD or are too slow to get out of their own way and pretty much require a XL to be useful. Some mechs can't mount the weapon of choice (AC20) with an XL, like the Dragon Flame.

All of my Lights are XL, most of my other mech types have both STD and XL builds

For instance I have 2 dual AC20 Crabs, one a STD 330 and the other a XL 360. The XL version is more fun with the extra speed so I mostly use it for casual pugging, The STD version on the other hand is tougher and usually gets the call when "serious social work" is afoot (like CW). Same arrangement for my TDR's, BLR's, VTRs and BNC's.

The K/D and W/L stats don't seem to favor either engine type on the whole.

It's a, is it better to be able to back away from incoming missiles and reduce damage or better to be able to tolerate more damage sort of question.

Sometimes it is a "My CO wants me to use STD engines" sort of deal.

Currently in CW my 1st and 2nd wave mechs are STDs for durability, 3rd and 4th wave mechs are XLs for speed however this could certainly change to meet changes in tactics.

Hope you weren't looking for a clear cut answer. :rolleyes:

#10 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,335 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 20 December 2014 - 07:30 PM

It clearly depends on the mech, and your intention with said mech.

For instance, a Hunchback, while many see it as useless after it has lost it's hunch... has a central head laser that can still put out damage, drop a medium or medium pulse, and you still have OK punch.

Running a CN9-A or AL? you have two CT energy hardpoints that can be used to put out the hurt if built right.

AS7-D, DDC, or S? Hey you have CT lasers too!

and there are others, with missiles and the like. Keep in mind, in CW, surviveability is life, especially for defenders. If you can make the attackers stall having to deal with a couple of medium lasers on your mech. DO IT. you're being an asset to your team.

On the flipside, as an attacker, a light mech with a full sized XL can rush forward, cause havoc in the defenders, scout out possible defender locations and concentrations before fading away quickly.

A FASTLAS can thunder across the open field quickly to put bralwing pain on things... ect.

It all depends on what you need. Just don't shortchange yourself and forget to have backup weaponry if you're ammo heavy.

#11 CaeruleusWolf

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 21 posts
  • LocationThe Lime in the Coconut

Posted 25 December 2014 - 02:39 AM

Thanks for the replies, all.

#12 The Mechromancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 497 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 02:49 AM

I only ever run XLs on lights,

anything else decreases survivability by a lot, and i try to squeeze every ounce of damage I can before I die. IMO the speed is not worth dying to ST loss.

I do not die easy.

CW is a long game, make each mech last as long as it can.

tip: Battlemasters are amazing post-quirkining, they can tank like a stalker (twist baby!) have better quirks, and more hard-points. I was wrecking people with it on my 1st contract.

I highly recommend taking a look at them!

Edited by The Mechromancer, 25 December 2014 - 02:51 AM.

#13 Thorqemada

• 6,366 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 06:13 AM

If the loss of a IS XL-Sidetorso would leg me instead of kill me i would immediately change all my Mechs to XL Engines.

IS-Lights + Cicadas have to run XL-Engines with no exception!

#14 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 25 December 2014 - 08:20 AM

Depends on what you want it to do. My general rule of thumb is anything I'm going to be taking a lot of direct fire in i use std IF speed isn't my priority.

Lots will say xl in lights no matter what. I don't agree with that. My raven runs a std because speed isn't my priority with it. I am providing ecm for big boys. I don't need 130/kph for that.

#15 Void2258

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 500 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 08:43 AM

I tend to fall into the same camp as I use for regualr drops: XL for Light and ranged attacking mediums, STD for brawler mediums and all heavies and assaults.

#16 Wolfwood592

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 505 posts
  • LocationColumbia, SC

Posted 25 December 2014 - 09:04 AM

I have zero issues with running an XL in different mechs. Honestly, it just depends on the build.

If you can learn to spread damage and not face tank fights, you will live a very long time. Just pay attention, roll damage, and hit than move.

#17 Bront

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 25 December 2014 - 09:29 AM

It all depends on the mech. Some work just fine and are more durrable with XLs due to speed. Others work either way. The biggest thing to remember is will you need speed or staying power for a particular drop and go with that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users