Grinding ... It Is Time To Update The Xp System Please

70 replies to this topic

#21 Nathan Foxbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 11:39 AM

I'd complain about the grind but I got 4 Tier Xs and several Tier IXs in WoT. That is a grind.

#22 AEgg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 11:52 AM

View PostcSand, on 20 December 2014 - 09:49 AM, said:

Takes no time to master a mech if you don't suck

Even easier if you have premium time going

sorry fellas, truth hurts

I do agree it would be nice for the XP tree to be mixed up a little, or have some more options

Nobody cares how long it takes to master a mech. It takes probably 10 times as long to acquire the cbills to BUY said mech in the first place than it does to master the thing.

#23 Mawai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 12:54 PM

I do agree it would be nice for the XP tree to be mixed up a little, or have some more options

Sure .... if I have a day to play I can master a mech.

It takes me about 50ish matches to grind out the required xp (inc premium). That is maybe 8 hours of play time ... but you know what? I have a wife, kids, work, and other real world activities. That 8 hours can take a week or two of real time. Even playing MWO for a couple of hours in a row can get really monotonous ... though good luck or bad ... real life usually doesn't give me that time to play.

So .. my suggestion is to make MWO more interesting by creating an XP system that drives player retention and interest instead of the boring, monotonous, repetitive system that it is now. Why folks would object to making grinding more interesting ... I have no idea.

#24 Mawai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 01:02 PM

View PostCathy, on 20 December 2014 - 09:57 AM, said:

Nothing wrong with stock mechs out the box, you can kill with them, and do ok, did it plenty of times with assaults highlanders come to mind, didn't change a single thing until they paid for each update, in combat..

people need to stop putting the hand out asking for easy street and look at it as a challenge to conquer

Lol ... I think the topic is drifting. Making a more interesting XP and skills system does not make anything "easy" ... it makes it more interesting ... it means you have to make decisions and choices over what abilities you want with which variant. It actually gives some meaning to having 3 almost identical variants of the same mech since each could be focused on using different weapons or playing different roles.

To me ... when I start earning xp for my 30th, 40th or 50th mech ... and each xp tree is exactly the same ... there is just little or no motivation to keep on playing. Bored with my mastered mechs and bored with getting the same xp skills with the new ones. I'm probably not the only one in that boat. So .. my suggestion to PGI was to revise the XP system and skills to make it harder, have people make choices in what they want each mech to do ... maybe charge MC if you want to respec the XP on a mech.

It has nothing to do with easy :)

#25 DaZur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 20 December 2014 - 01:11 PM

I am so done with players grousing over the time commitment necessary to grind out the FREE content in a F2P game... <_<

​Its F2P... so you have two equivalencies to decide: What is more important to me... "Time" or "money".

Literally everything in MW:O is a available to you if you have the time. If you don't, you have the option to open you wallet and buy the damn thing... problem solved.

Feigning indignation because you can neither justify the time nor the monetary investment should be a moment of pause for you to consider if MW:O is "for you"... In F2P you can't have your cake and eat it too.

#26 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 01:19 PM

Grind for GXP
Grind for Mech XP
Grind for Cbills

Never have enough of any of them. Will I buy more mechs? Not planning on it.

#27 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 01:25 PM

View PostDaZur, on 20 December 2014 - 01:11 PM, said:

I am so done with players grousing over the time commitment necessary to grind out the FREE content in a F2P game... <_<

​Its F2P... so you have two equivalencies to decide: What is more important to me... "Time" or "money".

Literally everything in MW:O is a available to you if you have the time. If you don't, you have the option to open you wallet and buy the damn thing... problem solved.

Feigning indignation because you can neither justify the time nor the monetary investment should be a moment of pause for you to consider if MW:O is "for you"... In F2P you can't have your cake and eat it too.

This sounds very fair and reasonable on its face... but lets look at it from another angle, shall we. We have players in this base that have spent upwards of $600-2000 dollars, only have around 50% or less of the current content/mechs out, and have been grinding away for 2+ years. These mechs are not fully upgraded and equipped and even though they are running PT, Heroes, the Grind is still there. Lets take another look at that statement shall we..... 2+ years, $600-2000 spent, ON A GAME....A HOBBY, and yet some have less then 50% of the the current content and still feel the grind is a bit to much of a grind, even with PT and Hero mechs used.... Hmmmmm, When did any sense of reality leave gaming? How do you guys keep a straight face? Should one throw $4-10 grand at this game to make it happen? When is enough enough?

Edited by Bill Lumbar, 20 December 2014 - 01:27 PM.

#28 Darian DelFord

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 20 December 2014 - 01:30 PM

I am sitting on almost 900 million C-Bills.... What grid are you referring to? I would love to spend my C-Bills on something.

View PostBill Lumbar, on 20 December 2014 - 01:25 PM, said:

This sounds very fair and reasonable on its face... but lets look at it from another angle, shall we. We have players in this base that have spent upwards of $600-2000 dollars, only have around 50% or less of the current content/mechs out, and have been grinding away for 2+ years. These mechs are not fully upgraded and equipped and even though they are running PT, Heroes, the Grind is still there. Lets take another look at that statement shall we..... 2+ years, $600-2000 spent, ON A GAME....A HOBBY, and yet some have less then 50% of the the current content and still feel the grind is a bit to much of a grind, even with PT and Hero mechs used.... Hmmmmm, When did any sense of reality leave gaming? How do you guys keep a straight face? Should one throw $4-10 grand at this game to make it happen? When is enough enough?

Edited by Darian DelFord, 20 December 2014 - 01:30 PM.

#29 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 01:34 PM

View PostDarian DelFord, on 20 December 2014 - 01:30 PM, said:

I am sitting on almost 900 million C-Bills.... What grid are you referring to? I would love to spend my C-Bills on something.

Well then Darian, I am really not sure what your purpose is to reply then. I am also not referring to any "Grids" in my reply.... and I am sure that even with all your vast and massive earnings you still have much you can buy in this game with them.

#30 Creovex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 1,466 posts
  • LocationLegendary Founder, Masakari Collector, Man-O-War Collector, Wrath Collector, Gladiator Collector, Mauler Collector

Posted 20 December 2014 - 01:36 PM

Though he is FRR... he is right. Don't like leveling out other variants? Convert xp from a mech you like to GXP and bam... quick maxed unantes variant. Or as some suggest... premium time makes things go by a lot faster.

#31 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 01:37 PM

It really only takes a few matches to get the XP to elite my mechs, however the C-bill grind is a bit more intensive.

#32 Creovex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 1,466 posts
  • LocationLegendary Founder, Masakari Collector, Man-O-War Collector, Wrath Collector, Gladiator Collector, Mauler Collector

Posted 20 December 2014 - 01:41 PM

I average over 200k a match with premium time.... that is running every class from lights to assaults.

200k x 5 matches = 1 mil
5 matches x 15 minutes = 1hr 15 mind
1 mil for 1hour 15 minutes of work??? Not so bad

#33 Darian DelFord

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 20 December 2014 - 01:41 PM

View PostBill Lumbar, on 20 December 2014 - 01:34 PM, said:

Well then Darian, I am really not sure what your purpose is to reply then. I am also not referring to any "Grids" in my reply.... and I am sure that even with all your vast and massive earnings you still have much you can buy in this game with them.

I have everything that I want from this game. I am wanting more The OP is staing there is a grind. Now granted I have been in since closed beta, but still I am averaging close to 150k per match with NO Premium Time and NO Hero bonus. I do not see what grind for C-Bills or XP he is referring to. There is no grind in MWO as compared to other F2P titles out there.

#34 Burktross

• Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 20 December 2014 - 01:51 PM

View PostcSand, on 20 December 2014 - 10:02 AM, said:

This right here.

People need easy mode, in fact you can see it all the "nerf this" or "change this" threads. People just want easy mode.
Standing up to a challenge is too much for a lot of gamers, hell, people in general.

I for one am glad PGI doesn't tend to cater to the lowest common denominator. In all areas of life, this is a bad decision

So in a match with 4x as many mechs, and probably 2-3 times as long, you earned more cbills?

You don't say!

Grind isn't a valid challenge in itself. It's a time impedement.

#35 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 20 December 2014 - 02:57 PM

View PostBill Lumbar, on 20 December 2014 - 01:25 PM, said:

Blll,

This is not MW:O Poke'mech... No one needs and more importantly is REQUIRED to have every mech and to have them kitted to the brim.

This game is enjoyable if you spend $0.00 or $1000.00... The inference that one has to have every mech and all the modules is a self imposes fallacy driven by the community intelligentsia who insist your "doing it wrong" or are somehow inferior to those that do.

It's a self-imposed "fun" barrier that is a mental construct and nothing more... Please stop playing the victim card.

I used to drag race as my HOBBY... MW:O has nothing on the cost my past hobby required. :rolleyes:

Edited by DaZur, 20 December 2014 - 02:57 PM.

#36 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 03:02 PM

View PostDaZur, on 20 December 2014 - 02:57 PM, said:

Blll,

This is not MW:O Poke'mech... No one needs and more importantly is REQUIRED to have every mech and to have them kitted to the brim.

This game is enjoyable if you spend $0.00 or $1000.00... The inference that one has to have every mech and all the modules is a self imposes fallacy driven by the community intelligentsia who insist your "doing it wrong" or are somehow inferior to those that do.

It's a self-imposed "fun" barrier that is a mental construct and nothing more... Please stop playing the victim card.

I used to drag race as my HOBBY... MW:O has nothing on the cost my past hobby required. :rolleyes:

DaZur,

Your response is all well and fine if it all works for you, and you are enjoying the ride. Many have said they don't, its not about playing a victim.... or about Poke'mech syndrome. Keep telling yourself that and dismiss and justify what has been said on this topic in many threads. How you justify in your mind of past expenditures is your choice, others people mileage might just vary. ;)

#37 Mawai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 03:12 PM

Hehe ...

Well "grind" certainly seems to be a hot topic issue ... maybe I should have left the term out of the OP.

The point I was trying to make was that I would find the game more interesting to play (whether you consider it a grind or not) IF the XP and skills system was revised to make it more interesting, require choice and specialization from the players (i.e. can only select a subset of skills in each tier), and allowed different skill set choices for each mech variant to allow for role and weapon customization.

NONE of these suggestions have anything to do with earning either Cbills or XP faster. They have to do with making the basic game play more interesting, less boring and more involving so that level mech 50 generates a little more interest than it does right now.

#38 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 03:18 PM

the skill grind is bad because the skill system is boring. its not even a skill system really its just a progression unlock tree. theres no meaningful choices at all.

the cbill grind is bad because you have to play hundreds of games to get ONE mech. which is obscene.

#39 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 20 December 2014 - 03:20 PM

View PostBill Lumbar, on 20 December 2014 - 03:02 PM, said:

DaZur,

Your response is all well and fine if it all works for you, and you are enjoying the ride. Many have said they don't, its not about playing a victim.... or about Poke'mech syndrome. Keep telling yourself that and dismiss and justify what has been said on this topic in many threads. How you justify in your mind of past expenditures is your choice, others people mileage might just vary. ;)

No offense Bill but you're the one who made the quantitative inference by leveling that some have ground (grinded?) for 2+ year and invested lots of money and they STILL don't have everything they might desire... I only pointed out the fact that that's a self-imposed limitation.

I'm not being dismissive and you know full well that I've agreed elsewhere that PGI needs to do something about the intrinsic value of premium content in contrast to the baseline grind so spare me the disingenuous notion that I'm dismissing anyone.

Edited by DaZur, 21 December 2014 - 08:01 PM.

#40 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 03:51 PM

Times like these only remind me of an old SNL skit.... Susan Powers... stop the insanity!!! :lol:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users