1 reply to this topic

#1 OznerpaG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 977 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 21 December 2014 - 04:40 PM

personally i think the angle that MWO approached attacking vs defending in CW is just all wrong. i'v been a 'military junkie' my whole life and there's only 2 ways an attacker has a decent chance of winning a battle/war - either complete surprise (which includes tactics/maneuvering), or outnumbering the defender. outside of that either the defender (generally) has to be completely inept to lose under any other circumstances

and my 20 CW battles have shown that to me - i'v won every single defensive battle and lost every single attack/counter attack battle. some have come close to tipping the other way and i'm sure it'l happen sooner or later, but all things being equal the defender will win the gross majority of time and in CW the deck is tipped in the defender's favour

basically CW is a modified battle of Kursk - there's almost no options for the attacker except to funnel into the defender's field of fire and get chopped up into pieces. no surprise, barely any maneuvering on the defenders part, just sit there and wait for the attacker to enter the crosshairs

re-play the original battle of Kursk 1000 times and i'm sure the Germans will win a few in there, but the law of averages states that the Soviets will win the majority

ideas:

want to simulate surprise? the defenders don't drop into the battle until one of the gates open or 2 minutes into the match or an enemy light hops over the gate. that give the attackers time to plan, set up and get into position, but time is the enemy of the attacker so they still want to bust down the gates fast. the defenders drop beside their generator anyways and they'l have to scramble to defend which will bring up the intensity in a massive way

want to simulate being outnumbered? defender is only allowed to drop in 3 of their 4 mechs. sure some of the 4th mechs will be locusts, but i'l take a 20t advantage over a zero ton advantage, and you never know if you you will be dropping in an attack or defense situation so it might not be a good idea to have a lousy 4th mech.

even better - implement 1 or the other randomly so the attacker doesn't know if they can approach unopposed so scouting will be much more important. if the defender gets the 2nd 'outnumbered' option of only having 3 mech drops, then maybe they can hide to make the attacker think they get the 'surprise' drop when they are getting the 'outnumbered' drop and the attacker might run into an ambush as soon as they start rushing a gate

perhaps the defense turrets and such will have to be re-adjusted since the defenders will be at a slight disadvantage in both the above cases, but adding uncertainty creates tension and and more intensity - isn't that why you play the game?

Edited by JagdFlanker, 21 December 2014 - 04:47 PM.

#2 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 December 2014 - 05:12 PM

People don't seem to have a problem winning matches. It takes having 11 victories over the defender to flip a planet. Your suggestions would mean the defenders would be at such a severe disadvantage it is unlikely they could win any matches. I mean, not dropping into 2 minutes into the match? Really?

Uncertainty creates indecision, not tension in my experience.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users