Near And Dear To My Heart

7 replies to this topic

#1 Felix7007

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 12:46 PM

I played this game called Chromehounds on the xbox 360 way back. I was actually quite good. The game had a world map similar to MechWarrior.

I would like you to read the way the game was laid out so that it can spark some ideas:

There were 3 factions on a world map. Each territory (planet) had multiple unique multiplayer maps on it (Usually 3). Each map had 3 bases in which you could spawn from. Each map also had POI's on it like conquest mode that you can capture. The winning conditions are, destroy all mechs, who has the most POI's at the end of 15 minutes or destroy the correct opponent's base. If no one is there to defend, you can choose to run against an AI opponent which will give minimal points toward the map.

Once a match was done, whoever wins earns points for that map. Once a factions earns a specific amount of points on a map, they control it. Once a specific amount of points are achieved on 2 of the 3 maps, the faction owns the territory. Once the territory is controlled, the next territory is opened all the way till you get to the other faction's capitol where if you win that territory, you take over the faction. Players of the faction that was taken over can only spawn at the capitol to try and reclaim it. Once a faction wins all three capitols, the war is over, rewards are given and it starts over. Usually took 3-4 months.

The lobbies were set up like so:
You select how many are in your party and create a lobby for a map and wait for a party of the same size to join. Or you can search for a party of a specific size. The pre game lobby was set up so that everyone is looking at the map and each person can draw and put waypoints on the map essentially making it a planning room for a maximum of 5 minutes before the game starts.

Here is a little look at a map and the world map along with a review. Observe how, in no way, is the map limited by a series of chokepoints in which you are forced to run at your enemy in.
http://www.ign.com/a...s-review?page=2

Edited by Felix7007, 22 December 2014 - 01:28 PM.

#2 Basilisk222

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 288 posts
  • LocationElmira Heights

Posted 22 December 2014 - 01:10 PM

Ah, loved that game.

#3 Brody319

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 01:12 PM

was okay. I'm more of an RPG guy though so..

#4 Slater01

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 430 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 22 December 2014 - 01:23 PM

Very cool, thanks for the link. The great thing about making games now is tremendous amount of game mechanics/designs made over the years. I like this one, perhaps PGI will expand on the planetary conquest and defend using a similar mechanic.

#5 Felix7007

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 01:25 PM

Not saying MWO is bad, just saying they could learn a lot from this game. I would still rather play Chromehounds if the servers were up and populated.

#6 cSand

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 22 December 2014 - 01:26 PM

View PostBrody319, on 22 December 2014 - 01:12 PM, said:

was okay. I'm more of an RPG guy though so..

FROM software who mae Chromehounds also makes a wicked series of RPGs :D

#7 Brody319

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 01:30 PM

View PostcSand, on 22 December 2014 - 01:26 PM, said:

FROM software who mae Chromehounds also makes a wicked series of RPGs :D

Bethesda fanboy here so..

#8 Felix7007

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 01:34 PM

I guess this would be a great time to ask:

If you played Chromehounds Multiplayer please share your info like so:

Gamertag: Felix7007
Squads: MusicalChairs #70 Was in ACV-Squadron for a short time
Mechs: AR-Nader, 5-Banger
Play time: Exactly 1000hrs

If you are from MusicalChairs, please contact me. Its been too long. The following have my salute:

ACV-Squadron
Chrome Veterans
Spank the midget
Wonderbreads

Edited by Felix7007, 22 December 2014 - 01:39 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users