10 replies to this topic

#1 NadeMagnet

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 26 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 December 2014 - 02:29 PM

There should be not only an incentive in c-bills for taking command and for players following orders but a healthy incentive. So for example you send a defend here order. A lance goes there and starts a counter once all are within X of the spot. After X amount of time both the commander and the lance members start earning bonuses. Cause lets face it, if you're on an attacking team and you have no plan in place you're basically just fodder for the defenders. Can't tell you how many CW games I've been in where half the attackers won't even go through the damn gates.... Now they have a good reason to go if for some reason they can't figure out that it's really really hard to win on attack from our side of the gate.

I'm reminded of battlefield 2142 as a good example of making rewards worth it to take command. There you wouldn't even be playing the normal game you'd just be sitting in the command ship steering it around and giving orders. So even in a game that's a dedicated FPS you still had a system where people were happy to play it as something else. Because it wasn't just a nice change of pace, it was more then worth it to do so.

#2 pwnface

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,009 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 02:50 PM

I couldn't disagree more. The in-game command menu is terrible and clunky to use. There should not be rewards for using a poorly implemented command menu. Teams that are actually organized typically use teamspeak to coordinate and don't bother with the in-game command menu.

#3 NadeMagnet

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 26 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 December 2014 - 03:19 PM

The validity of the current system is not my point. Clunky or not it's what we currently got to work with. The system itself doesn't change the fact that something is needed to make it worth giving and following orders. In a perfect pipe dream world I would love to see a dedicated command roll where someone never even touches a mech. Like in battlefield they'd be in the dropship leading. Not very practical or fun with only 12vs 12 but whatever. Like in a 24vs 24 or more it would be awesome.

Edit: Yes many use teamspeak and I have zero problem with it but many don't. The fact that a third party system is needed instead of a simple in game VoIP is rather embarrassing for PGI. But then again they don't even have a real in game chat so I don't know why anyone would expect VoIP.... But again none of that has anything to do with my point of making it appealing to give or follow orders.

Edited by NadeMagnet, 22 December 2014 - 03:25 PM.

#4 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 03:21 PM

I disagree as well.

And even if we had integrated VOIP and preset chat macros for designating focus fire targets I would still disagree with handing out rewards for giving/following orders.

Helping your team win should be its own reward. You should do it for no other reason than wanting to win.

In a perfect pipe dream world I would love to see a dedicated command roll where someone never even touches a mech.

command roll? like a round loaf of bread giving everyone orders?

Edited by Khobai, 22 December 2014 - 03:24 PM.

#5 pwnface

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,009 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 03:30 PM

It's faster and more efficient to type "go to b3" than to click through the stupid menu and use the icons that clutter your mini map. It seems like you should be garnering support for VOIP rather than trying to get support for rewards for using a bad system.

#6 NadeMagnet

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 26 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 December 2014 - 05:05 PM

View PostKhobai, on 22 December 2014 - 03:21 PM, said:

Helping your team win should be its own reward. You should do it for no other reason than wanting to win.

lol Should be is a far cry from is. People aren't doing it. Many times people can't even be bothered to plan anything. Typing is hard or something apparently... Need something other then counting on whether or not people will wise up on their own. I'm from the George Carlin school of thought who said think about how stupid the average person is and realize that half of them are stupider then that.

Roll.... Sigh..... Hawaiians will get even more c-bills cause their rolls are so freaking good. :P
My bad. lol

View Postpwnface, on 22 December 2014 - 03:30 PM, said:

It seems like you should be garnering support for VOIP rather than trying to get support for rewards for using a bad system.

Look guy I don't know how to be any clearer. I could care less about about the system used. I just want there to be something to help force people from being moronic *******. This is CW you can't just go in all willy nilly and expect to win.

#7 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 05:19 PM

Many times people can't even be bothered to plan anything.

you dont have to plan anything.

90% of the time all your team has to do to win is stayed grouped up and deathball.

#8 pwnface

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,009 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 05:19 PM

Honestly, if people aren't going to listen to you in chat then they definitely won't listen to your dumb order commands. We don't need extra rewards to move people around on the grid map.

You don't want to play with moron solo pug players? Go join a group in voice comms.

#9 loopala

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,242 posts
  • LocationDa UP of Mich

Posted 22 December 2014 - 05:20 PM

i have to agree with this. right now there are some very very good tactics and strategies for winning the attack. more then half the games i play (i pug just pug) there is someone willing to herd cats with good tactical orders but not every one follows. right now there just is not the incentive to. you make good xp/lp/cbills from a loss if you brawl hard but still not take or get anywhere near the objective. heck even in defend mechs are rushing out to brawl, because as one pug put it "i just loaded short range mechs and waiting is boring"

in organized teams or semi organized TS users they have no need for this. true. but let your 8/6 man drop with non TS pugs that just don't listen or understand what you are doing and you will see the need for something to at least reward organized play amongst pugs.

#10 Sadist Cain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 605 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 05:52 PM

View Postpwnface, on 22 December 2014 - 05:19 PM, said:

Honestly, if people aren't going to listen to you in chat then they definitely won't listen to your dumb order commands. We don't need extra rewards to move people around on the grid map.

You don't want to play with moron solo pug players? Go join a group in voice comms.

Wheres the sense in complaining about a broken, clunky system "stupid moron pugs" and all that jibber jabber?

Surely it's more constructive to encourage a bit of support to un-bad these systems and aid the players using them so they might lift up others.

The "Go join a unit in voip" argument doesn't hold water when a lot of the time units in voip ignore everything else going on around them cos "we'z in a 5 man on voip ermagewd stoopid pugz!"

What about when everyone playing is in a unit? but not the same one? The battlefield network between players is so poultry we're just sending text messages to each other.

Some of the very worst players I've ever seen have been Unit's who don't communicate with the stupid pugs cos they're all on voip. Edit: Also Have seen mighty fine units splintered in game and unable to communicate at the most crucial moments because they can't pull up a typewriter and print a paperback novel to send over chat as to the current situation which entails them getting shafted in the face by 6 ERPPC
I think the OP's argument is leaning more towards simply encouraging players to actually coordinate using in-game systems rather than isolating themselves from everyone else.
course the systems we have at the moment are balls, that's not the point.

Edited by Sadist Cain, 22 December 2014 - 06:22 PM.

#11 NadeMagnet

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 26 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 December 2014 - 06:11 PM

View Postpwnface, on 22 December 2014 - 05:19 PM, said:

Honestly, if people aren't going to listen to you in chat then they definitely won't listen to your dumb order commands.

Right because they have no reason to do so. So I'm calling for a reason. It's not like I'm trying to say one would earn an extra 100k a match or something. You could easily add in a simple incentive just like they did with giving c-bill bonus for lances being in formation. Only these bonuses wouldn't be automatic it would require whatever parameters for orders that are set by PGI like maybe something along the lines of my original post.

View PostSadist Cain, on 22 December 2014 - 05:52 PM, said:

I think the OP's argument is leaning more towards simply encouraging players to actually coordinate using in-game systems rather than isolating themselves from everyone else.
course the systems we have at the moment are balls, that's not the point.

This^

As it is now there is nothing other then common sense which lets face it, isn't so common anymore, to get people to work like a team. What I proposed would be a good way to change that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users