A Tale Of Two Mediums (It Dont Make Sense)

47 replies to this topic

#41 NovaFury

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 386 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 04:56 AM

Novas are also very uh... "Round"

This makes them excellent for catching SRMs, LRMs and LBX spreads.

#42 kf envy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 590 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 05:28 AM

View PostThat Dawg, on 22 December 2014 - 06:54 PM, said:

Nova, Stormcrow. I'd like to hear from those who know both mechs.
One, a ******* child no one wants, the other, the cabin boy of clan drops in CW

5 MPL SCR-PRIME
5 MPL NVA-S(I)

both have the same weapons
Storm has 11 DHS
Nova has 8..wait, eight? 3 less? Oh, right, its a 50 ton vs. the 55 to...wait..5 extra tons only gets three extra DHS? wut?

I've now maxed out 6, 3crows, 3novas.
Two variants in each took to the extra bonus module (we're talking total of 4)
I have 300+ battles in the nova and 180-200ish? in the Crow.
a buttload I can tell ya, so I'm not guessing, nor conjecturing on the two.
Just wanted to point that out for the next part

Do me a favor -open both links, and click "weapon lab" and compare the two back and forth.
You'll see pretty quickly that they are BOTH very similar, and should be. On paper that is...

Yet, the nova shuts down, overheats, cooks itself WAY more than the crow. Any of you nova jocks knows this to be true.

Now, I'm the same guy running both, same player, playstyle, maps, teams, pugs, same same same.
And I can say unequivocally the Nova will run hotter, shuts down quicker than the Crow.

why? WHAT am I missing, whats the difference, they should be damn near the same.
The hitboxes might be different..except I live longer in the crow, the nova tosses its arms off like a stripper.
One is fast, yes. The other has jumpjets, yes. One is wide, so what, one is..fugly, m'eh.

But apples to apples, why does the nova NOT show up in tournaments, drops or too often in pugs, if all on paper is so close? (add 4MG's and it suddenly has a much higher DPS than the crow, but that does not help the poor Nova.

this is my point for the nova to get a buff, start with endo, AND ferrous give it the same slots per ton the storm crow has.

Its a pity such a neet mech got crippled and PGI's answer was a 1.5% heat buff last patch...I could not feel a difference. I'm quite familiar with both mechs. I'd rather not sell off my Nova, but I would not suggest someone waste their time on the entire line, and the thought of a champion or hero nova would be a bad joke.

to be far the Nova is missing something that i was built "for/work with" Elemental. so maybe after ComStar gives the Nova an point of AI elemental to off load an attack the Nova is going to be lacking an missing it role on the battle field other then a EZ kill for all the OP CHEESE IS MECHS that have tech that they should not have yet.

#43 Fate 6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 05:38 AM

Give us Nova-U omnipod for ECM, Nova-C and -D for missiles. I like suggestions of no JJ heat on Novas too.

#44 GorlockTheDestroyer

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 64 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 07:37 AM

650 drops in my nova and counting...

imho
mech needs:
movement quirks (high significance)
heat dissipation quirk (low)
heat generation quirk (low)
+ arm armor (significant)
Fall Damage quirk

Does not need:
Endo
FF
JJ heat quirk
Energy Range quirk
Energy Cooldown quirk
Any omnipod with missiles

This is a a high-risk high-reward style mech. Its also a fun mech to pilot cuz the "o crap i just made a bad decision, im dead" factor is high. Id like to retain this aspect of piloting for this mech.
Giving it range quirks plus missile means more people playing "You sunk my battleship!" from 1 grid over, rather that shoving its abundance of energy hardpoints into somemechs backside or damaged torso.
Mech already has great dps so cooldown would make the one aspect where this mech is rich even richer,not needed i say::shrugs::
As far as JJs....Meh more pgi annoyance.

oh BTW all the above if implemented right, still dosent do jacksquat to make the nova anywhere close to the stormcrow in MWO.

#45 Variant1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 08:02 AM

It does make sense. The nova may be 5 tons less but has a lower profile, its strength is mainly lasers and the quad machines are good crit seekers, it also has good mobility if you use the jj variant. The stormcrow on the other hand is a hybrid, it mixes weapon more than the nova but suffers in mobility (lack of jj). The stormcrow can get missiles and ballistics with lasers but suffers in term of managing those weapons, don't get me wrong the stormcrow is very deadly. Those 2 mechs are different but both can be good. All mechs are different, i guess nova doesn't fit your playstyle.
What the nova needs is probably quirks.

#46 Apocryph0n

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Clan Exemplar
  • Clan Exemplar
  • 325 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 08:07 AM

At least for CW the Nova works as a nice defender. I'd still take a SCR over one every day tho.

Nova has the great advantage that you don't have to wait the 3+ seconds to eject tho, you just have to alpha to be able to select a new mech, so there's that :)

#47 Hydrocarbon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2017 Qualifier
  • WC 2017 Qualifier
  • 659 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 05:06 PM

Allow us to change "LEG" omnipods, rid the Nova of the JJ bloat, and it will be a lot better. JJ's barely add any advantage now, especially in CW.

#48 GorlockTheDestroyer

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 64 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 08:20 PM

View PostVariant1, on 24 December 2014 - 08:02 AM, said:

It does make sense. The nova may be 5 tons less but has a lower profile, its strength is mainly lasers and the quad machines are good crit seekers, it also has good mobility if you use the jj variant. The stormcrow on the other hand is a hybrid, it mixes weapon more than the nova but suffers in mobility (lack of jj). The stormcrow can get missiles and ballistics with lasers but suffers in term of managing those weapons, don't get me wrong the stormcrow is very deadly. Those 2 mechs are different but both can be good. All mechs are different, i guess nova doesn't fit your playstyle.
What the nova needs is probably quirks.

Post in a thread about the 2 mechs i love and i get this.

You are ignorant of the very game you play.

"...if i use a jj variant."(nova reference) Mind telling me a variant of the Nova(s) in MWO that dosent have jj?

"...but suffers in mobility, lack of jj "(stormcrow reference). Have you ever touched a stormcrow its mobility is second only to is lights with jjs in its ability to climb things a normal non-jj mech looks at and goes "NOPE!". The stormcrow rumbles right up said path/side of mountain.

NO MECH suffers in terms of managing weapons, the PILOT DOES! You manage the weapons.

If you dont understand why the nova lacks so immensely behind the stormcrow its a shame.
-lest not touch on the magic hitboxes now shall we-

So much misinformation. Cest pool forum.

btw Let the hate/anger rain down on me for my tone. Im fine with this.

Edited by UncleTouchy, 24 December 2014 - 08:24 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users