Has Cw Respawn Increased The Viability Of Is Xl Engines?

Balance

8 replies to this topic

#1 ManDaisy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationKing Of Flower Beds

Posted 23 December 2014 - 10:27 AM

Those who play CW know your mech roles, the glass cannons meant make a hurting and then be thrown away. SInce its a group effort and lasting till the end of the match takes a back seat to winning, how many people now have started using IS XL engines More?

#2 CocoaJin

• 3,607 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 23 December 2014 - 10:36 AM

I was just posing a similar question. Considering the prevalence of low TTK, does the vulnerability of XLs present such a liability as to off set the increased firepower and or speed they provide?

I'm willing to entertain their use since the low damage output/high endurance philosophy of many IS designs just can't stand against the blistering firepower of Clan chassises when forced into sustained, symmetrical engagements.

#3 Agent 0 Fortune

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 10:41 AM

It all depends.
On mechs with a lot of hardpoints and weapons (like Awesome, Thunderbolt, Stalkers, Kintaro) I prefer a standard engine, speed isn't as important, and I still have considerable firepower after losing a torso.

On the other hand, on ammo dependent mechs (jagermech, Blackjack), I feel I can get away with an XL engine because they will eventually run out of ammo, so the extended durability isn't needed.

And some mechs need an XL to run a specific build, due to tonnage and/or speed requirements (light mechs, cidada, wolverine)

#4 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 23 December 2014 - 11:39 AM

The attrition warfare of CW has actually inspired me to use STD engines in all of my drop decks's mechs.

#5 Farix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 890 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 01:24 PM

Quite the opposite. I'm having to reoutfit my mechs to remove the XL engines. They are way too much of a glass cannon in CW.

#6 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 23 December 2014 - 01:33 PM

View Postgh0s7m3rc, on 23 December 2014 - 12:39 PM, said:

I agree with Kevjack; in CW if you want to either destroy or protect the generators, you'll need standard engines on IS mechs, with exceptions being the Lights, Cicadas and Catapults. :D

Yeah that's how CW is really showing how powerful the Clan XL truly is. They get to carry the payloads we need XLs for, without feeling like a liability in a frail mech. And they get FOUR of them. Meanwhile to carry out our STD doctrine, we must greatly sacrifice weapons and/or tons of DHS. So we deal less damage and run way hotter.

Feels bad, man.

#7 Kirkland Langue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 01:45 PM

Have 2 dropdecks, one for attacking and one for defending. Attacking I would only put the XL in the light mech(s), because just surviving to act as a meat shield for the rest of your group is important. Defending I like having a Fast glass cannon as my 3rd drop for those times when the game is 35-18 with all 3 generators down. I want to be able to push out to attack the enemies before they get into the base - surviving isn't important; being in the right place with high damage is much more important.

EDIT- but I'm awful at this game, as anyone who knows me knows, so don't take my words to mean much.

Edited by Kirkland Langue, 23 December 2014 - 01:46 PM.

#8 The Boz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 02:05 PM

View PostKevjack, on 23 December 2014 - 01:33 PM, said:

Yeah that's how CW is really showing how powerful the Clan XL truly is. They get to carry the payloads we need XLs for, without feeling like a liability in a frail mech. And they get FOUR of them. Meanwhile to carry out our STD doctrine, we must greatly sacrifice weapons and/or tons of DHS. So we deal less damage and run way hotter.

Feels bad, man.

Good luck getting any of the clanners to realize they have a pretty big advantage here.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users