Mighty ATLAS

15 replies to this topic

#1 GD26

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationGlengarry

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:28 PM

Although Iglesias’ final Atlas (AS-7D ?) render looks extremely good, I’m still of the opinion that the AS-7C Atlas from the 2009 Trailer (on Deshler vs. the Warhammer) remains the best rendition of an Atlas ever! Was that a Combine Atlas?

So I wonder why have the developers not gone with that design for the MW:O? :mellow:

Also – to the powers to be – could we get some renders of the 2009 Trailer Movie Atlas in the Media section please? :)

#2 Kenyon Burguess

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:07 PM

AS7-K - An 3050's Combine upgrade of the Atlas that used rediscovered star league tech.
AS7-C - A modification of the K model, the C model was intended to carry a C3
the d models are all jihad stuff.

#3 GD26

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationGlengarry

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:34 AM

Two things:

First – the D model(s) are not all Jihad (3067-3081) stuff.

The AS-7D Atlas is the original model introduced during the Star league in 2755. That’s the reason Sarna gives this model as an example. Two of the newer versions and both post-Jihad are the AS-7 Dr and AS-7D (3136 version). Even the Clans made a version of the AS-7D, the D[C] which happened way before Jihad. Check Sarna.

Second – your post haven’t really answered (or tried to answer) any of my questions so it’s kind of a moot point. :)

#4 El Loco

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 395 posts
  • LocationNew Haven, CT

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:16 AM

Öhm... the 2009 trailer featured an AS7-D. The AS7-C fields a Gauss rifle and ER- and pulse lasers, but in 3015 these weapons were not rediscovered, yet. In 3049, these weapons are slowly reintroduced but very expensive. We will see the AS7-K and -C models soon enough, don't worry.

#5 God of War

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationGermany/Stuttgart

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:38 AM

the MW5 trailer shows a battle during the third Succession War in 3015.
During this time there where no notable variants of the Atlas available, exept the Atlas II.

Edited by God of War, 03 March 2012 - 05:38 AM.

#6 GD26

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationGlengarry

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:58 AM

Öhm... the 2009 trailer featured an AS7-D. The AS7-C fields a Gauss rifle and ER- and pulse lasers… - El Loco

Sarna doesn’t specify the addition of a Gauss Riffle. If you have other cannon sources confirming this, please give me a link. Besides, re-view the 2009 trailer please. The Warhammer’s IFF system identifies the Atlas as a “C” model. Is quite visible.

the MW5 trailer shows a battle during the third Succession War in 3015.
During this time there where no notable variants of the Atlas available, exept the Atlas II. - God of War

Atlas II. And that’d be?

I’m sorry but the main source I’m using is Sarna. Again, there is no indication to an Atlas II. Please feel free to provide me with another canonical accepted source if that’d be the case.

#7 El Loco

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 395 posts
  • LocationNew Haven, CT

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:20 AM

The AS7-C:
"AS7-C - A modification of the K model..."

And the AS7-K:
"AS7-K - An 3050's Combine upgrade of the Atlas that used rediscovered Star League technology, the K model was built with an XL Engine that reduced the weight of the engine by half. The 'Mech was been rearmed for long range combat, the 'Mech carried a Imperator Dragon's Fire Gauss Rifle,..."

Sarna is the ressource for both.

As to the Atlas from the 2009 trailer... it isn't an AS7-C, regardless of what the HUD says. The 'Mech shown fields an AC-20, the primary weapon of the AS7-D, the main Atlas variant in 3015 (the others being the AS7-DC and the AS7-RS).

And here's a link to the Atlas II.

#8 Aegis Kleais

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:26 AM

View PostGD26, on 02 March 2012 - 03:28 PM, said:

Although Iglesias’ final Atlas (AS-7D ?) render looks extremely good, I’m still of the opinion that the AS-7C Atlas from the 2009 Trailer (on Deshler vs. the Warhammer) remains the best rendition of an Atlas ever! Was that a Combine Atlas?

So I wonder why have the developers not gone with that design for the MW:O? :)

Also – to the powers to be – could we get some renders of the 2009 Trailer Movie Atlas in the Media section please? :)

I would think, succinctly put, that your preference of which Atlas looks better is merely subjective. In other words, you like it, but it's just your opinion that it's the best to use. And it seems the powers at PGI thought otherwise.

I'm not sure about 3D assets, but the 2009 trailer Atlas was developed in Unreal Engine 3, while the latest Atlas seen was developed in CryEngine 3.

#9 GD26

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationGlengarry

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:49 AM

@ El Loco

Thanks for the link. My bad. Was just before my eyes and I failed to see. :)

@ Aegis Kleais™

What you probably want to say is that the scrambled eggs made in frying pan I can't taste the same as the ones made in frying pan II? :)

But I got your point. :)

#10 EDMW CSN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:52 AM

There was no Atlas II ever in the IS space after the Exodus. The only time it re-appeared was during Tukkayid. And there was only 1 of it, in the hands of clanners.

Most likely an Atlas II C (clan) type. Thus setting the rarity into omg uber rarer than rare design.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Atlas_II

Edited by [EDMW]CSN, 03 March 2012 - 07:53 AM.

#11 El Loco

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 395 posts
  • LocationNew Haven, CT

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:03 AM

Aye... the Atlas II disappeared after the Exodus. But the Hesperus II 'Mech factories apparently had the design in one of their memory archives (or how else should WoB have been able to build some during the Jihad).

Actually, I like both designs (using the Unreal Engine and the CryEngine), with the 2012 edition being higher in favour due to its buklier appearance. The 2009 edition has the cooler colour pattern, though.

#12 Maurice

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationEasthampton Ma.

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:26 AM

No to slow to hard to kill and The AS7-D is the only one will see in this time line

#13 Arro

Rookie

• 9 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:03 AM

I have to agree that the Atlas in the 2009 trailer is a 7-D model, from the looks of the Autocannon and the weapons summary that flashes up. However, the 7-D Atlas didn't have the LRM launchers in the chest - it was in a compact launcher on the left hip. The missile tubes in the chest were part of the 7-K redesign (then refitted to 7-C for C3 networks), so I can understand the confusion!

However, now the game is in 3049 I wouldn't put it beyond plausability that we'll see some 7-K variants! The Draconis Combine were the first to upgrade their Atlases with Gauss Rifles and ER lasers, technologies they rediscovered before the Clans arrived in late 3049/early 3050. So it's possible that we might see some Atlases that have already been refitted. By and large though, I expect to see the far more common 7-D.

#14 Anthill

• PipPipPip
  • Lance Corporal
  • 51 posts
  • LocationUp In Your Mech Bay, Liberating Your Salvages

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:36 PM

I hate to say it, but I am a little disappointed that this thread didn't turn out to be an Atlas Fan page,, therefor robbing me the oppurtunity of reporting this thread and suggesting it got moved to the Steiner Faction page.

In regards to the qualitative questions concerning the Atlas, I feel that while the 3015 Atlas is much more grim dark, I feel this current Atlas fits in with the preliminary atmosphere and "feel" this game will have.

Plus, I doubt the 3015 Atlas, regardless of config, had a Hula Girl in it.

#15 Orzorn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,327 posts
  • LocationComanche, Texas

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:37 PM

View PostAnthill, on 03 March 2012 - 12:36 PM, said:

Plus, I doubt the 3015 Atlas, regardless of config, had a Hula Girl in it.

Atlas pilots prefer chia pets.
Posted Image

#16 Anthill

• PipPipPip
  • Lance Corporal
  • 51 posts
  • LocationUp In Your Mech Bay, Liberating Your Salvages

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:14 PM

View PostOrzorn, on 03 March 2012 - 01:37 PM, said:

Atlas pilots prefer chia pets.
Posted Image

Make it only Mr.T or Chuck Norris Chia Pets, and its sensical.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users