Pls Let Met Play Canyon, Crimson, Mining And Tourmaline Only

43 replies to this topic

#1 LowSubmarino

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 01:54 PM

...because I have much, much, muuuuch more fun playing on those 4 maps than on all the other maps. They are just infinitely better and the fun is reduced significantly on the rest of the maps.

I luv shooting mechs on those 4 maps. It is a ton of fun for me. On the other maps I do not have so much fun. Not at all. The fun is significantly reduced for me on other maps.

Why am I forced to play maps I do not enjoy? Why not let me have fun all the time on those 4 maps?

I dont understand why I cannot choose where to play? I do not want to play on other maps as they are bad.

Pls rethink your choice to force me to play every map.

#2 WarHippy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 02:01 PM

Because it has the potential of screwing up the fun for other people that prefer other maps by diluting the player pool even more than it already is for you and them. The answer is NO.

#3 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 23 December 2014 - 02:02 PM

Get some premium time and set up private matches and you can play on any map you want.

#4 LowSubmarino

• Bad Company
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 02:06 PM

I'd be happy if they at least allowed me to exclude three maps from the rotation.

And that is no valid argument. I sometimes didnt play because i thought 'yeah, uhm, ill prolly get this or that map and I just dont like them,' and instead checked the forum a bit and then logged off.

So what good am I for the player base if I choose not to play at all because I simply dont enjoy certain maps? Where's the logic in that.

#5 Darian DelFord

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 23 December 2014 - 02:08 PM

View Postoneda, on 23 December 2014 - 02:06 PM, said:

I'd be happy if they at least allowed me to exclude three maps from the rotation.

And that is no valid argument. I sometimes didnt play because i thought 'yeah, uhm, ill prolly get this or that map and I just dont like them,' and instead checked the forum a bit and then logged off.

So what good am I for the player base if I choose not to play at all because I simply dont enjoy certain maps? Where's the logic in that.

Why so you can make custom builds that are actually made for those maps?

Nah no fun in that

#6 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 23 December 2014 - 02:08 PM

Would increase wait times that's for sure

#7 FETTY WAP

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 456 posts
  • Locationspaaaace

Posted 23 December 2014 - 02:09 PM

Canyon/Crimson/Viridian are my favorite maps.. to me at least - they seem to have more things to do. Like in Crimson, you can go saddle for either team, flank around.. go tunnel, explore that hill if you're a light mech. Fire LRMs at the people on the island.

Alpine makes me sad no matter what kind of build I have, just because of how people tend to flock to the hill and wade around it.. like a giant, kinda-unbalanced Frozen City.

You can't pick and choose because then you could have mechs optimized for those maps only, while everyone else brought random gibberish.

Edited by Lava Cookies, 23 December 2014 - 02:10 PM.

#8 TripleEhBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 700 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 December 2014 - 02:12 PM

You don't like HPG?!

HERESY!

#9 Chimperator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 December 2014 - 02:17 PM

View Postoneda, on 23 December 2014 - 01:54 PM, said:

...because I have much, much, muuuuch more fun playing on those 4 maps than on all the other maps. They are just infinitely better and the fun is reduced significantly on the rest of the maps.

I luv shooting mechs on those 4 maps. It is a ton of fun for me. On the other maps I do not have so much fun. Not at all. The fun is significantly reduced for me on other maps.

Why am I forced to play maps I do not enjoy? Why not let me have fun all the time on those 4 maps?

I dont understand why I cannot choose where to play? I do not want to play on other maps as they are bad.

Would u be happy when 12men drops specialized with there loadouts on one Map and stomping you faster then alrdy ?

#10 LowSubmarino

• Bad Company
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 02:19 PM

View PostTripleEhBeef, on 23 December 2014 - 02:12 PM, said:

You don't like HPG?!

HERESY!

Damn I actually forgot that map. I luv it!!!

#11 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 23 December 2014 - 02:25 PM

View Postoneda, on 23 December 2014 - 02:06 PM, said:

Allowing players to chose their map in the public queue would negatively impact wait times in match maker for everyone, regardless of the number of players online.

While some players may be disgruntled by the fact they can't choose their map, there are still more that will continue playing anyway.

So, even if some players stop playing because they can't chose their map (which would be a silly reason), their absence will not affect the wait times as drastically as it would to allow players to choose the map.

#12 KuroNyra

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationIdiot's Crater.

Posted 23 December 2014 - 02:27 PM

View Postoneda, on 23 December 2014 - 01:54 PM, said:

No.

#13 LowSubmarino

• Bad Company
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 02:28 PM

Theres a difference between choosing one specific map and then run very customized builds on that map and having more control over which maps you play.

And so what, let ppl run their special super custom builds on specific maps. Where's the harm if everybody can do it? I didnt even have that in mind. I run the builds I enjoy no matter what map I play. But I just dont enjoy therma, forest colony or frozen city. Frozen city destroys my fps when theres fog. It is unplayable for me when there is fog. What am I supposed to do then?

I dont wanne simply disconnect cause then ppl report me so i just charge the enemy team and die very fast. I just cant play or rather dont enjoy it when the fps drops too much.

Alpine plays the same every single game. It is more than boring. Forest colony is tiny, has no vision and is - in my opinion - badly designed. The swamp has no vision, usually focuses on the center platform (i mostly play skirmish) and just plays the same every time.

Caustic is not so bad, but again, just like in alpine, it plays out identically each time.

I dont see any reason why we cant exclude a few maps from our rotation. Some ppl here love therma or forest colony. Not everybody has my taste. So not everybody would exclude the maps I would immediatly drop. There would always be players that are willing to play.

And Id rather have ppl that enjoy the maps they choose to play than players that hate certain maps but are forced to play them. Thats just bad and bad only.

#14 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 02:46 PM

View Postoneda, on 23 December 2014 - 02:28 PM, said:

Theres a difference between choosing one specific map and then run very customized builds on that map and having more control over which maps you play.

And so what, let ppl run their special super custom builds on specific maps. Where's the harm if everybody can do it? I didnt even have that in mind. I run the builds I enjoy no matter what map I play. But I just dont enjoy therma, forest colony or frozen city. Frozen city destroys my fps when theres fog. It is unplayable for me when there is fog. What am I supposed to do then?

I dont wanne simply disconnect cause then ppl report me so i just charge the enemy team and die very fast. I just cant play or rather dont enjoy it when the fps drops too much.

Alpine plays the same every single game. It is more than boring. Forest colony is tiny, has no vision and is - in my opinion - badly designed. The swamp has no vision, usually focuses on the center platform (i mostly play skirmish) and just plays the same every time.

Caustic is not so bad, but again, just like in alpine, it plays out identically each time.

I dont see any reason why we cant exclude a few maps from our rotation. Some ppl here love therma or forest colony. Not everybody has my taste. So not everybody would exclude the maps I would immediatly drop. There would always be players that are willing to play.

And Id rather have ppl that enjoy the maps they choose to play than players that hate certain maps but are forced to play them. Thats just bad and bad only.

No. Map selection should not be allowed to happen. In too many games where map selection is allowed the game ends up with only one or two maps that everyone ends up playing on, and it isn't because those are the only maps that are fun for a lot of people. It ends up being a snowball effect where people start seeing that their wait times are going up when trying to play the maps they like and switch to a map they might not like as much just so they get in games faster. This keeps happening as more and more people start moving, and wait times get longer and longer causing more and more to move onto something else. At some point you end up with people on coms after their 800th drop in a row on HPG reminiscing about some other map and how they used to enjoy playing it but doesn't get to because everyone is playing HPG. Screw dust2 I'm tired of it. :ph34r:

#15 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 24 December 2014 - 01:44 AM

No there's not. You asked for very specific abilities to exclude very specific maps. So you shouldn't have to balance builds that will perform on hot maps just because you don't like them?
No thanks.

You're essentially asking for a select section of players to be able to dictate the entire game for everyone that plays. That's what would happen. You personally might not exploit it in such a way but there are plenty who would. You're also dismissing the fact that every time you click off a map that excludes it from being available for every other player looking for a match.

#16 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,994 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 24 December 2014 - 03:07 AM

its a game and there is nothing wrong with having fun while you play

there are a few maps that I hate like the bog (since I have to use heat mode 100% of the time)

I see no down side to letting people choose its like choosing your weapons load out what's the big deal

#17 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 24 December 2014 - 03:33 AM

If we let people pick and choose which maps they want for the public queue then it would lead to people picking builds that are optimal exclusively for those maps, e.g running a mech much hotter because you pick only cold maps or packing a ridiculous number of LRMs for maps like Caustic Valley where it would otherwise not be too viable.

That's not good design, people should be making (at least somewhat) balanced builds.

View PostWarHippy, on 23 December 2014 - 02:01 PM, said:

Because it has the potential of screwing up the fun for other people that prefer other maps by diluting the player pool even more than it already is for you and them. The answer is NO.

This is also a factor too.

View PostEscef, on 23 December 2014 - 02:02 PM, said:

Get some premium time and set up private matches and you can play on any map you want.

Even though I usually don't agree with this sort of statement entirely, this is the solution in this case.

Edited by Pjwned, 24 December 2014 - 04:02 AM.

#18 Mercules

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 5,136 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 24 December 2014 - 03:44 AM

But I just dont enjoy therma, forest colony or frozen city. Frozen city destroys my fps when theres fog. It is unplayable for me when there is fog. What am I supposed to do then?
Buy a real computer? Upgrade your existing computer? Not play modern games on older computers and expect to have a good experience?

Bought a computer specifically to run MWO well two years ago, never regretted the decision.

These maps only play the same every time if everyone derps to the same location. Get the word out to your side to form up in an unusual place that is defensible. Point out that what typically happens then is a couple mechs will range out not being patient and get caught away from the main force giving you an advantage. Then the other team HAS to come to you.

No, it's good, and good only. It forces you to consider you might drop on a map with longer ranges in your SRM boat. It forces you to consider you might drop on a hot map with your mech that runs hot from energy weapons or drop on a cool map in a mech that mostly uses gauss and so will be facing mechs that will be able to shoot a little longer because they typically run hotter than it.

Basically random maps for you to consider all the possibilities and actually think instead of perfecting a build and strategy for one map and only dropping on that.

#19 Mudhutwarrior

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 24 December 2014 - 03:50 AM

Been trying to find the post as it was well over a year ago before the changeover here on the forum. It went into detail about how to eliminate maps from the code to gain that ability. Don't remember the details but I think it was a Goonie thing.

I wonder why none of the old names here didn't mention that? It was a known practice at the time to front load for advantage.

If that's still possible maybe some industrious honest forum member could explain.

Doing so then would be a pretty scumbag move though but its good to be aware so you can catch it when its done.

#20 Mercules

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 5,136 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 24 December 2014 - 03:55 AM

View PostMudhutwarrior, on 24 December 2014 - 03:50 AM, said:

Been trying to find the post as it was well over a year ago before the changeover here on the forum. It went into detail about how to eliminate maps from the code to gain that ability. Don't remember the details but I think it was a Goonie thing.

I wonder why none of the old names here didn't mention that? It was a known practice at the time to front load for advantage.

If that's still possible maybe some industrious honest forum member could explain.

Doing so then would be a pretty scumbag move though but its good to be aware so you can catch it when its done.

No longer works. They altered the code and told us that anyone caught trying to circumvent it would take a vacation.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users