• 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 24 December 2014 - 09:42 PM

View PostEpic Rage Quitter, on 24 December 2014 - 07:03 PM, said:

The ups:

It's Mechwarrior.
Mechs are great.
Mechs are awesome.
Game feels just like playing MW4 all over again, but with Cryengine!
The lasers, ballistic and missile weapons all look and sound great.
Mechs all have their own unique engine noises.

The downers:

Game seriously needs more maps.
Why only 12 Mechs per team? This isn't 2004.
Income really sucks after 25 matches.
Buildings aren't destructible.
There doesn't seem to be any visible scarring or damage left on the buildings or terrain?
"Incoming missiles" becomes tedious after a few hours.
The game needs some PvE content. Even MW4 LAN had co-op missions against the bots.
Game throws you onto the maps randomly. Can't pick which map to play on.
You have to fight against veterans from day one. I wouldn't mind playing against/with other cadets at first.

But, GG so far. Enjoying it until the maps become ultimately tedious.

Gotta remember that PGI is a smaller company that just got away from IGP.

Last 6 months or so have been very upswing...and im no white knight. Im fairly content and PGI is winning me over slowly.
CW is in Beta, they need to have a larger map-based mechanic in place.

CW is for the 'veterans/serious players', MWO was intended from the start NOT to be a robot-shooter ala CoD. More Sim, more long term strategy if i heard right.

Currently its:
Clan Mario Kart dash to Terra.
Some IS fighting the good fight vs the Clans(yay FRR!)
Some IS not caring about the INVASION and really wanting to just fight other IS(not a problem, just one map trying to fit 1+ timelines of content.)

#22 Utilyan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 11:37 PM

The ups:

It's Mechwarrior.
Mechs are great.
Mechs are awesome.

The downers:

There doesn't seem to be any visible scarring or damage left on the buildings or terrain?
The game needs some PvE content. Even MW4 LAN had co-op missions against the bots.
You have to fight against veterans from day one. I wouldn't mind playing against/with other cadets at first.

I don't believe your a noob. I think its belkor with the candlestick in the study. That's my guess.....I like a whodunit.

I think a noob would of mentioned what mech he bought blah blah blah...... I don't even think half the people here know what the hell a cadet even is, let alone a noob. And a mechwarrior 4 vet would have no problem.......whatso-ever kicking anyone's ass here.

"Mechs all have their own unique engine noises." Hell I didn't even know that.....how the hell you know that!? :huh:

Who the F# decides to play MechWarrior....first time on Christmas......doesn't even tell everyone Merry Christmas? :blink:

How the hell you played 3 days....and a member since today? :ph34r:

Posted Image

#23 Mudhutwarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 25 December 2014 - 03:57 AM

I don't care if he is established or not. He makes good points. Smearing rather than discussing his ideas serves no purpose except to distract.

#24 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 25 December 2014 - 04:06 AM

I'm actually pretty happy that MWO does NOT plays like MW4 on Cryengine.

#25 GeistHrafn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 450 posts
  • LocationMB, Canada

Posted 25 December 2014 - 04:08 AM

The ups:

It's Mechwarrior.
Mechs are great.
Mechs are awesome.

The downers:

Since no-one else seems to have said it, Welcome to the community!!.
Oh, and Merry Holiday Season to you!

#26 LowSubmarino

• Bad Company
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 04:45 AM

Yeah, well, I hate that I cannot pick maps or at least exclude a few maps from rotation. But I got brutalized in another thread. Nobody wants to pick maps. You and me are utterly alone with that wish.

Ppl say it is unfair, imba and generally bad to be able to choose where to play. Ive rarely seen the community agree so hard on one thing. I completly oppose that. I wanne choose. I hate certain maps and luv others.

But that prolly wont ever change. You'll have to play all maps if you like it or not.

Edited by oneda, 25 December 2014 - 04:47 AM.

#27 Thorqemada

• 6,369 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 06:26 AM

You can pick maps in private matches afaik.

Edited by Thorqemada, 25 December 2014 - 06:26 AM.

#28 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 25 December 2014 - 06:36 AM

The ups:

It's Mechwarrior.
Mechs are great.
Mechs are awesome.

The downers:

note on the downers in order...

There are new maps coming in. The thing is this game has more maps on an MMO then I would expect. I know some MMO's that only have 2 maps... and sometimes they are nearly identical.

because tehre is huge amounts of lag when there are more then 24 mechs and to be honest not many people like 12 vs 12, many people want it reverted back to 8 vs 8. So your situation off saying "we need more mechs!" is countered by a lot of peoples opinions on "we need less mechs!", More doesn't make it better. It just means you are more and more less useful. And imagine what happens if a pre made 24 man team attacks a bunch of 24 randoms? You have any idea how much firepower 24 mechs can throw at 1 mech focusing? We already got problems with 12 man groups doing this.

As you gain skill and such, credit seems to flow a bit easier. Trust me. The intro level credit bonus is just like a kick starter.

some buildings are destructible in CW. ie the generators. however buildings being destroyed like in MW4 doesn't work that way, you can't simply bump into it and have the whole thing flattened after a few seconds sadly...

There are on higher graphical settings I believe.

Isn't as annoying as versing peter dexter in solaris at least. You are not knocked onto the ground and have 80 damage flying your way again and again while you try to pry your mech out of the lava and back at him.

The game isn't focused on PvE. if you want that then well that's what MW4 is for. It'll take a lot of resources and will yield no fruit. Anyway if we look at the turret ai's we will see enemy ai mechs doing 100% headshots or being completely stupid...

You can pick your map basically in CW (not all planets though)

You start with a low elo and if you are very that bad at the start it keeps dropping. And the entry level elo isn't filled of veterans. I had a friend who just joined and had a few matches and wanted a 'veteran' friend (ie me) to help him out, so we grouped up and he quickly realized that due to my high elo that the enemies in that match seemed quite a lot scarier then before.

I also want to note that this game and MW4 is quite different. anyway this is just my response to the negatives to supply you with more information on the topic.

I am quite glade you're having a good time. I do wish for more targets involving buildings though. Like "Destroy this factory complex!"

Edited by Nightshade24, 25 December 2014 - 06:37 AM.

#29 Ursh

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationMother Russia

Posted 25 December 2014 - 06:51 AM

View Postoneda, on 25 December 2014 - 04:45 AM, said:

Yeah, well, I hate that I cannot pick maps or at least exclude a few maps from rotation. But I got brutalized in another thread. Nobody wants to pick maps. You and me are utterly alone with that wish.

Ppl say it is unfair, imba and generally bad to be able to choose where to play. Ive rarely seen the community agree so hard on one thing. I completly oppose that. I wanne choose. I hate certain maps and luv others.

But that prolly wont ever change. You'll have to play all maps if you like it or not.

It's mostly people on these forums that scream bloody murder any time you suggest being able to pick the map, or exclude a map or two from your rotation. Judging by how much people in general chat say they hate certain maps, such as river city night or alpine, there is a desire within the overall community for some kind of map selection or exclusion. They say it would make queues take even longer, and that people would just exclude sniper maps like Alpine Peaks or hot maps like Terra Therma. Never mind that if most people were excluding the same maps, it would tell PGI that bad map is bad, and the queue times wouldn't significantly increase because the majority of players have the majority of maps available for selection.

A big complaint that people would just take high heat brawlers and exclude sniper maps...forgetting that sniper loadouts work on almost every single map, while brawlers have to be extremely careful on almost every single map.

Edited by Ursh, 25 December 2014 - 06:51 AM.

#30 Epic Rage Quitter

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 12:41 PM

View PostRhazien, on 25 December 2014 - 04:08 AM, said:

Since no-one else seems to have said it, Welcome to the community!!.
Oh, and Merry Holiday Season to you!

Thanks man, merry chrimbo to you aswell :)

#31 Epic Rage Quitter

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 12:45 PM

View PostUrsh, on 25 December 2014 - 06:51 AM, said:

It's mostly people on these forums that scream bloody murder any time you suggest being able to pick the map, or exclude a map or two from your rotation. Judging by how much people in general chat say they hate certain maps, such as river city night or alpine, there is a desire within the overall community for some kind of map selection or exclusion. They say it would make queues take even longer, and that people would just exclude sniper maps like Alpine Peaks or hot maps like Terra Therma. Never mind that if most people were excluding the same maps, it would tell PGI that bad map is bad, and the queue times wouldn't significantly increase because the majority of players have the majority of maps available for selection.

A big complaint that people would just take high heat brawlers and exclude sniper maps...forgetting that sniper loadouts work on almost every single map, while brawlers have to be extremely careful on almost every single map.

I think the random map situation is evidence of that dreaded "MWO Arcade Mode" rearing its ugly head. I would prefer a little more immersion/realism/simulation.

Any Mechwarrior would want his mech to suit the terrain before making planetfall, surely!

But I can also see the advantages of randomization of maps. It keeps things erm.... kinda random.

#32 Epic Rage Quitter

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 12:50 PM

View PostUtilyan, on 24 December 2014 - 11:37 PM, said:

How the hell you played 3 days....and a member since today? :ph34r:

Errr, I bought the wrong mech variant and decided to make a new account since I wasn't receiving any real money after my 25 matches. I should have looked at the hardpoints before making the purchase. Big noob mistake that I won't be making again.

#33 Green Mamba

• Shredder
  • 1,659 posts
  • LocationNC,United States

Posted 25 December 2014 - 12:54 PM

I really just wanted my MW5 that was shown in the July 09' trailer

#34 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 01:01 PM

The downers:

LRMs are probably the toughest thing for newer players to get accustomed to. I remember when I first starting out they were the bane of my existence. In fact I think my first post on the forums was "LRMs ARE OP!" My suggestion is to equip an AMS (anti missile shield) on all your mechs and avoid piloting anything slower than 70 kph. That way you can reduce damage and get back behind cover at a reasonable pace.

One thing you will eventually learn is being able to quickly sniff out when there is an enemy UAV above you providing targeting for the LRM user. Takes time to get a sense of quickly knowing when there should be no way an enemy could have a lock on you, but it does come with experience.

#35 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 01:13 PM

The ups:

only agree with the above for downers.
we dont need more than 24 players in game. mechs were supposed
to be rare even 12vs 12 is pushing it imo.

#36 GeistHrafn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 450 posts
  • LocationMB, Canada

Posted 25 December 2014 - 01:14 PM

View PostEpic Rage Quitter, on 25 December 2014 - 12:50 PM, said:

Errr, I bought the wrong mech variant and decided to make a new account since I wasn't receiving any real money after my 25 matches. I should have looked at the hardpoints before making the purchase. Big noob mistake that I won't be making again.

I did exactly the same thing when i started out. Made a new account and haven't looked back.
Joined a laid back unit that didn't mind my noob questions, made the learning curve much easier, which inevitably avoided me wasting hard earned c-bills through the grinding process as well.

Premium time really helps with c-bill and XP earnings as well. I'm not sure if it will apply to your account (being as new as it is), but PGI gave everyone a holiday gift of 7 days premium time. Click on "Redeem" at the top of the website and try entering holiday2014 if you haven't already.

Look forward to seeing you on the battlefield!

#37 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 25 December 2014 - 03:11 PM

MW:LL using Cryengine2 had servers which could handle up to 36 players

#38 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 03:20 PM

Lol OP, ive played 90 games and I find the maps all tedious, or maybe its my lack of enjoyment in the game. I mean, PLanetside 2 only has 3 continents. Of which I only played on 1 for a large portion of my 2 years and loved it fine.

But in MWO, I am tired of seeing Caustic, Tourmaline and Canyon...

View PostGremlich Johns, on 25 December 2014 - 03:11 PM, said:

MW:LL using Cryengine2 had servers which could handle up to 36 players

On considerably bigger maps, with considerably more depth in each battle. I only played MWLL for maybe 10 games, of which all of them I didnt accomplish much, but still. It was pretty awesome to drive the mechs around. Many fire bases, working repair/rearm bays......

#39 Iqfish

• 3,488 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany, CGN

Posted 25 December 2014 - 03:21 PM

View PostKhobai, on 24 December 2014 - 07:26 PM, said:

pve content is the complete antithesis of free 2 play

Funniest thing I've seen in weeks!

#40 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 03:34 PM

View PostGreen Mamba, on 25 December 2014 - 12:54 PM, said:

I really just wanted my MW5 that was shown in the July 09' trailer

^^^^ This...a million times this ^^^

That trailer was the only time I was ever actually moderately enthused about having to be stuck with IS Tech. I was hoping we would get that trailer as a game, the warhammer and the Zeus......

Edited by LordKnightFandragon, 25 December 2014 - 03:35 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users