Viridian Bog (Map Balance)

Maps Balance

10 replies to this topic

#1 Cyborne Elemental

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,965 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 25 December 2014 - 01:01 AM

Whoever the map maker is, if this is going to be a fair map to play on, you guys really need to fix the 2 upper center platforms.

Its totally lopsided in favor for 1 team.

Those 2 center raised need to have viable access for each team.

As is, gaining access up to that ramp requires completely exposing yourself to the entire enemy team, while the opposing team can rush either 1 or both ramps and gain control of that high ground.

After playing the map enough, its almost always a 1 sided stomp for the team who can gain control of that high ground, and its too easily controlled by the team starting on the north end of the map whom is facing both ramps up.

It would really be great to see this new map balanced out a little more fairly.

#2 AThousandD

• PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 05:02 AM

While it's a visually pleasing map, I hate its gameplay.

The platforms are not even the worst offenders. Generally, high mounted weapons and/or LRMS - sure, get up there; low-mounted weapons, sweep the ground level.

The two things that I personally hate the most about this map is the infuriating clutter blocking your freedom of movement, while at the same time frequently not providing much cover. Also, the stairs leading up to the platform - it's a royal pain in the arse to navigate those to the top under fire. I can only assume this is to an extent intentional - it's meant to be a bog, afterall, and you do get bogged down in all that clutter, trapped and exposed to enemy fire. Super infuriating. The other issue I hate with the map follows from this: the flat levels this map is divided into mean that there are firing lanes you can get trapped in with little chance to rectify bad luck/bad positioning.

Jump jets are king on this map. I don't have nice fights on this map, it's always very nasty and very messy. Just unpleasant.

#3 LowSubmarino

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 05:30 AM

One thing that is just completly annoying on viridian is the obstactles. Theres a tree fork and you have clear vision, you shoot through the big, empty space in the middle of the tree, and BAMMM, you hit the tree.

Its so unrealistic and weird that it literally kills immersion while also being utterly frustrating.

The invisible obstacles in the water that simply stop you dead in your tracks are also infuriating. If it was me I would completly and irrevocably banish all invisible underwater obstacles permanently. They are simply no fun whatsoever.

Without wanting to sound arrogant I think im a good player. I can only imagine how much trouble this gives new/inexperienced players. I see ppl trying to move back and forth many times on that map. All the while getting slaughtered by mechs that have an easy time destroying a stuck mech.

One reason why I would permanently drop this map from my rotation if that would be possible. The map sucks badly as it is. Dont care if the entire planet worships the map. For me it sux hard. Epic fail map which I would drop without any hesitation and never look back. Not even dreaming of it. it would be erased out of my memory so that I couldnt even remember it ever existed if my life depended on it.

Edited by oneda, 25 December 2014 - 05:31 AM.

#4 The Boz

• 1,317 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 05:31 AM

Map has too many greebles, too many little rocks that block low-slung weapons. Is annoying.
Also, yes, it's horribly unbalanced. inb4 the "adapt and overcome" crew spams out the topic.

Edited by The Boz, 25 December 2014 - 05:34 AM.

#5 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 07:24 AM

The top main platforms need to have steps on both sides.

The steps need fixing also. Some mechs have a terrible time getting up them. Adder comes to mind.

Still think it is a great map though

#6 Helsbane

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationThe frozen hell that is Wisconsin.

Posted 25 December 2014 - 09:42 AM

This map is another prime example of poorly conceived design and movement mechanics. The whole thing feels like it's made of velcro and bear traps. There are areas where a mech can get IN, but cannot get OUT, and feel like little corrals for assault mechs.

PGI needs to accept that maps need to be designed as a movement flow area first, then decorated with whatever the appearance of the map is to be second. This simple shift in design philosophy would eliminate all the re-tooling required for maps once they get released. This 'kill the map with clutter' design approach they use is the mark of folks that have never had to do this sort of work before and are flailing about trying to figure it out as they go.

I feel the art department does a great job making the maps look great, but there is much improvement that can be made in the underlying thought process of designing the maps. Study crowd flow dynamics before simply dropping in a pile of 'pretties' that are made of unobtainium and stop 100 ton assault mechs cold. Go through the inventory of map features and note the ones that are plagued by invisible wall syndrome, then only use those items in areas that aren't accessible to the players.

And finally, half of the problem is the movement mechanics they put in for the mechs. Personally, I find it ridiculous that these multi ton war machines get stuck far easier than a wheeled or tracked vehicle. Mechs are supposed to be far superior to conventional vehicles as far as movement goes, so why am I getting hung on handrails, automobiles, vines, and other clutter? Hell, I'd accept a minor heat spike or cooling issue on uphill slopes as my mech dumps more power into actually walking instead of just stopping for no real reason aside from 'we wanted them to feel big'. Well, they DO feel big, but they also feel like they don't have legs. Instead they feel like they have shopping cart casters.

So, yeah, between the movement mechanic and the flawed fundamentals of their map creation process, we end up with places to fight that look great, but suck to walk in.

#7 Cyborne Elemental

• 3,965 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 25 December 2014 - 10:33 AM

Yes, death by log, not a fun way to go.

Those platform ramp stairs get me killed alot too.. I'm constantly getting dead-stopped on them.

#8 LameoveR

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 153 posts
  • LocationMoscow, Russia

Posted 25 December 2014 - 11:41 AM

Good map. Haters gonna hate.

#9 Ursh

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationMother Russia

Posted 25 December 2014 - 11:47 AM

I don't play a lot, but luckily I've only gotten this map in jump equipped mechs, so the movement issues haven't affected me as much. When I ran through this map on testing grounds though, I imagined it would play hell on non-jump mechs.

One of the times I was playing my SRM Summoner, and had so much damage stolen on mostly clean shots by invisible walls between tree trunks or branches. What's the point of setting up a good shot where I take advantage of terrain and positioning to get a good firing position when all the shots explode in thin air instead of against the mech I'm shooting at?

#10 Bulletsponge0

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 02:14 PM

yeah..hate that map

#11 zeves

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 282 posts
  • LocationNorway