• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 25 December 2014 - 07:36 AM

That Dire Wolf is very close to my "Swamp Thing" (so named for it's paint job of polygon camo, Invasion Green, and Basic Green).

First off, use the "A" right arm pod and add a lower arm actuator. With arm lock off, this gives your arms 10° lateral (side to side) movement. I advise this because Dires are painfully easy to flank, and anything that helps mitigate that is a point in your favor. You also have 0.31 tons left unallocated, cut the legs down to 73 armor and you can sneak in another ton of ammo (you won't have the crits for a heat sink). Swamp Thing uses a MPL instead of the TC in the CT (medium pulse laser, targeting computer, center torso - I noticed you weren't familiar with a lot of the common abbreviations, just making sure), but I'm not sure I can recommend that, it runs very hot. (But if you do go for the MPL, you can shuffle ammo around and sneak in another heat sink instead of ammo after stripping that leg armor.)

But the firepower is just nutty. Observe:

Yes, that is a Timber Wolf getting back-cored in one volley.

Ok, lemme look at that Jager... Hmm... Not bad at all. Probably more personal preference, but I'd cut the AMS and drop the leg armor to 49 to make tonnage for a pair of MLs (medium lasers). Just to have something to fall back on if you lose arms or your ammo taps out. Because once you run out of ammo, you're nearly useless.

Edited by Escef, 25 December 2014 - 07:38 AM.

#3 RePlayBoy101

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 408 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 07:40 AM

View PostEscef, on 25 December 2014 - 07:36 AM, said:

That Dire Wolf is very close to my "Swamp Thing" (so named for it's paint job of polygon camo, Invasion Green, and Basic Green).

First off, use the "A" right arm pod and add a lower arm actuator. With arm lock off, this gives your arms 10° lateral (side to side) movement. I advise this because Dires are painfully easy to flank, and anything that helps mitigate that is a point in your favor. YOu also have 0.31 tons left unallocated, cut the legs down to 73 armor and you an sneak in another ton of ammo (you won't have the crits for a heat sink). Swamp Thing uses a MPL instead of the TC in the CT (medium pulse laser, targeting computer, center torso - I noticed you weren't familiar with a lot of the common abbreviations, just making sure), but I'm not sure I can recommend that, it runs very hot. (But if you do go for the MPL, you can shuffle ammo around and sneak in another heat sink instead of ammo after stripping that leg armor.)

But the firepower is just nutty. Observe:

Yes, that is a Timber Wolf getting back-cored in one volley.

Ok, lemme look at that Jager... Hmm... Not bad at all. Probably more personal preference, but I'd cut the AMS and drop the leg armor to 49 to make tonnage for a pair of MLs (medium lasers). Just to have something to fall back on if you lose arms or your ammo taps out. Because once you run out of ammo, you're nearly useless.

i never lose my arms or ammo ... rarely... i decided to put on that ams becouse of these missile spammers

#4 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 25 December 2014 - 07:50 AM

View PostRePlayBoy101, on 25 December 2014 - 07:40 AM, said:

i never lose my arms or ammo ... rarely... i decided to put on that ams becouse of these missile spammers

LRMs are only an issue if you get caught too far from cover. And I've seen way too many people that survive to the end of the match in an ammo reliant mech only to get wasted by a nearly dead opponent because their ammo was gone. I've been in that situation a few times in my CN9-AH (has no energy hardpoints at all). It sucks when the closest thing you have to offense is the small amount of collision damage you can deal.

Like I said, probably more personal preference.

#5 Navid A1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,932 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 25 December 2014 - 08:03 AM

View PostRePlayBoy101, on 25 December 2014 - 07:40 AM, said:

I think the jager could do better without ams. ams is tonnage you can use on more UAC ammo or a pair of lasers.
The missile spammers usually have enough ammo and tubes to get past that single ams.
Also, install radar deprivation module, LRM spammers hate that.!

No.1 anti lrm tactic: using cover.
No.2 : watch the skies for UAVs (believe me a single uav is more dangerous than 10 kingcrabs)

enemy narcs?... well in that case hope that the map has a covered place to block the lrm paths or a nearby ecm buddy.

#6 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 25 December 2014 - 08:12 AM

The direwolf is fine, but hot.

As was mentioned earlier, use the DWF-A right arm pod so you can unlock the Lower Arm Actuator and get lateral arm movement.

Reduced the MK2 TC to Mk1. The difference between Mk2 and Mk1 is ridiculously tiny, and not at all worth eating twice the tons. Far better to take another DHS, as that build will be hot.

Remember that 4xUAC5 will generate ghost heat. Fortunately, AC5's are cool to start with so it's not that big a deal, but 6xERML's are toasty too. You want all the cooling you can get.

#7 151st Light Horse Regiment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 388 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 08:55 AM

Scrub UAC5's on the DWF.

Run 5x ML and 3x UAC10. The fire rate, ammo and damage are all high. You never run out of ammo and hardly overheat.

#8 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 09:22 AM

Direwolf

Jeager

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users