#21 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 December 2014 - 07:38 AM

For me. I would have to go with Marik.

You've never been through hell until you've been through Wazan. It's probably the single largest meatgrinder in all of CW history.

#22 Abivard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 1,935 posts
  • LocationFree Rasalhague Republic

Posted 28 December 2014 - 02:44 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 28 December 2014 - 07:38 AM, said:

For me. I would have to go with Marik.

You've never been through hell until you've been through Wazan. It's probably the single largest meatgrinder in all of CW history.

Try the clan border wars.

Your front is like comparing the Danish front and the Russian front for Germany in WWII, and Wazan is not in the east.

#23 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 28 December 2014 - 02:45 PM

View PostAbivard, on 28 December 2014 - 02:44 PM, said:

Your front is like comparing the Danish front and the Russian front for Germany in WWII, and Wazan is not in the east.

Lolwut?
Speaking for myself, I've fought on the Clan borders, Marik/Davion fights are much tougher.

#24 StillRadioactive

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 644 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 28 December 2014 - 02:50 PM

All IS factions can (and do) play the clan borders.

Only Marik and Davion can play the Marik/Davion border.

We speak from experience on both accounts. You've only known one.

#25 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 05:46 PM

Clan borders are tough - however they suffer from being mostly pugs. This is made worse by how many people pug the clan borders and don't care if they win. They load to snipe, ignore team tactics and are literally about as useful as someone who shows up and legs their teammates. They are ****, any halfway decent player makes two of them in their toilet every morning before breakfast.

Dav/Mar border was 100% in it to win it every match. Worlds would switch by 1 or 2 wins; everyone played like every match mattered.

I miss it, I admit.

#26 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 December 2014 - 09:13 PM

We play the clan borders, and they do get bloody, but not like this. The reason Wazan stands out, is because that planet had hundreds of drops on it in record time. It's no exaggeration to say that that one planet had thousands of mechs fighting, and exploding on it. Most other planets have heavy combat, but nothing was to that scale. It was absolutely brutal. If planets could switch ownership quickly almost immediately, Wazan would have switched ownership between Davion and Marik no less than 23 times in that one attack phase. It was a re-enactment of the Stalingrad railway station.

http://en.wikipedia....ing_in_the_city

Edited by IraqiWalker, 28 December 2014 - 09:13 PM.

#27 Podex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 657 posts
  • LocationThe soup kitchen in your Prius

Posted 28 December 2014 - 09:35 PM

Was it Roadbeer who crunched the numbers on Wazan? Something like 12,500 mechs destroyed, according to Russ's formula. Anyone who wasn't there has no idea how intense it was.

#28 hybrid black

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 844 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 09:39 PM

Rasalhague by far, everyone else MercStar has got in a fight with has been a joke

#29 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 09:44 PM

View PostPodex, on 28 December 2014 - 09:35 PM, said:

Was it Roadbeer who crunched the numbers on Wazan? Something like 12,500 mechs destroyed, according to Russ's formula. Anyone who wasn't there has no idea how intense it was.

StillRadioactive estimated an average for all 8 days of fighting at around 12,600 and change IIRC, I came up with 5,200 during the HotZone period of 3 hours prior to Cease Fire over the 8 days.

#30 Podex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 657 posts
  • LocationThe soup kitchen in your Prius

Posted 28 December 2014 - 09:54 PM

I wonder if PGI will issue special camo for Wazan veterans. :D
Those poor servers never knew what hit them.

#31 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 10:17 PM

View PostPodex, on 28 December 2014 - 09:54 PM, said:

I wonder if PGI will issue special camo for Wazan veterans. :D
Those poor servers never knew what hit them.

Well, it earned a place in my sig :D

#32 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 10:25 PM

Wazan was a meatgrinder full of units to boot. Both sides; currently both on Clan and other IS borders you tend to have units vs pugs depending on the time of day. Wazan was stacked with big groups; most matches were a 6-12man on each side, both sides using faction teamspeaks to share and coordinate tactics. It was really, really rare to see a drop where one side or the other just flubbed it, didn't push or didn't roll off the dropship with a plan. Now you are lucky to see that 50/50; most the time you get one side or the other stacked with pugs, a couple of which ignore chat or tactics and you are at least 1 in 3 that the attackers won't push.

Wazan didn't have that. It was a perpetual 'battleground feel'. Both sides absolutely wanted it and the best units stacked there relentlessly for days. It felt like you were 'going to war', as opposed to 'pugging in the group queue'.

I came out of the Dav/Mar December War with an intense desire to try and make other fronts look at feel like that.

#33 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 12:18 AM

Something else to be said about the Marik/Davion border, once that heated up, there was no time for the niceties of "training" people. As soon as the HotZone hit (3 hours prior to CF) you were queued the second you got out of your match to hit it again, and didn't stop until the Cease Fire.

You MIGHT get a 5-10 minute lobby to explain what happened on the last match to the people who were green to the "new meta" and theorycraft a counter, before you were dirtside with "CLEAR COMMS, ALPHA Lance to BETA gate" in your ear, then it got real. And those drops weren't 10-15 minute affairs, most came down to OMEGA going down with literally seconds on the clock.

The first few days of CW, I had a 0% loss rate on defense and a 5% loss rate on attack (I was on the Steiner border mostly). Then Asuncion happened. Davion got their **** together universally. There were no more cake walks, no "Oh, it's mostly PUGS", any more than a 5 man group and comm chatter got quiet REAL quick. By that point, Wazan was just getting started.

I can't think of a single night that either of those planets wasn't decided by the last two drops running once the Cease Fire started.

I can think of few who were more eager for the Holiday Cease Fire than those who fought on those borders.

/raises a glass of Old Kentucky bourbon to the North East

Well fought.

#34 ice trey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts
  • LocationFukushima, Japan

Posted 29 December 2014 - 02:29 AM

Davions we can handle in a match... that's partly why there's so much focus on the Davion border right now. That, and overwhelming numbers. We're bleeding worlds like crazy, but that's in no small part due to their having so many organized units, while we only have a handful at a time, even during peak periods.

The Smoke Jaguars are definitely tough, but their numbers are still relatively few.

The Bears, however, have consistently been
  • 12-man attacks
  • Having the obvious Clan advantage of ECM heavies, Ridicu-range on everything, and high mobility on everything but Dire Wolves and Masakaris
  • showing signs of having numbers nearly equal to the Davions.
  • Are concentrating almost everything on their IS borders.
I don't even know if there's been a phase where they haven't taken a world. I think we've just about quit trying. I can never coax my fellow group members to defend or attack a clan world anymore. Hell, I have trouble getting them to even play CW, which is a load of bull.

Edited by ice trey, 29 December 2014 - 02:31 AM.

#35 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 29 December 2014 - 03:43 AM

View Postice trey, on 29 December 2014 - 02:29 AM, said:

Davions we can handle in a match... that's partly why there's so much focus on the Davion border right now. That, and overwhelming numbers. We're bleeding worlds like crazy, but that's in no small part due to their having so many organized units, while we only have a handful at a time, even during peak periods.

The Smoke Jaguars are definitely tough, but their numbers are still relatively few.

The Bears, however, have consistently been
  • 12-man attacks
  • Having the obvious Clan advantage of ECM heavies, Ridicu-range on everything, and high mobility on everything but Dire Wolves and Masakaris
  • showing signs of having numbers nearly equal to the Davions.
  • Are concentrating almost everything on their IS borders.
I don't even know if there's been a phase where they haven't taken a world. I think we've just about quit trying. I can never coax my fellow group members to defend or attack a clan world anymore. Hell, I have trouble getting them to even play CW, which is a load of bull.

CGB has captured a planet virtually every attack phase. Do notice though that their power drops considerably when they lose Mercstar (the week they did -mercstar switched to Davion-, the IS took planets from them and wolf, then the holiday cease-fire rolled in)

CSJ is tough as nails, but they are small as you said, and they are being choked out by CGB. Who by virtue of seizing words too quickly, end up taking Kurita worlds. Which keep cutting CSJ off from their invasion corridor towards Terra.

Honestly, they are all beatable, we just need to get our houses in order nice and proper. We need to start seizing and defending planets from the clans. If we can stall them out for one attack phase, one phase where we make sure thye don't make any mentionable progress, we can rally other groups and start to push them out.

That could be our Twycross. No Rock burials, just highlander burials.

#36 bobF

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 09:09 PM

You first need to get accurate information, before you start losing to the Clans properly en masse. I've dropped with CGBI and STS and they are no joke, as their planetary ownership attests. They are the ones that re-conquered New Bergen, which wasn;t taken by "IS" but by CI working for FRR (who is also currently employed by the Bear, putting our race to Terra on turbo mode). GB does just fine without the mercs, though their wrecking face on the Bear's behalf is certainly appreciated. For all of the power and skill MS and CI can bring to bear, the Great Troll of Ferris was a failure. Wolf handled business, despite them being Wolves (no offense my canine trothkin, but cease fire with the Steiners? Somehow, intentional or not, you guys collectively RP that ponderous, wonky Warden outlook).

As for CSJ, I don't think PGI or whatever algorithm is used to determine attack pathing will choke them off from anything. They may be the first Clan to hold the distinct honor of sundering the first great house capital, something I proposed in place of a race to Terra in another post. I don't think anyone will be displeased with the epeenery that would justify, at least Clans. The IS may have some political fallout to deal with but considering the raw deal you guys are handing Kurita already with your amateur hour Dav/Marik border jerking, you likely don't care anyway.

You cannot defeat us because we are united. The lore says Invading Clans go kick everyone's ass, so that's exactly what Clans are doing. Davion goes struttin' as like half the playerbase RPs the FedCom; well, witness the power of four factions absolutely united. We got whine posts galore. Clans shouldn't have turrets. Clans always win defense. Clan mechs OP. ****, even the combined trolling power of two unhinged merc groups and the Lords couldn't break up this unity (glad you guys finally worked out that Butte Hold). Wolves making the entire Lyran peoples into peaceful bondsmen didn't even budge the unity. You guys go on full alert if a rogue Steiner pirate group attacks your precious Graham IV, and then srs bzns threads are posted, along with emergency council meetings and hasty calls for peace over the red line. SMH.

Unity is why you will lose, and unity is what will make the PvP apocalyptic. **** Wazaaaaa or w/e backwater planet you chumps keep recycling in the intellectual spank bank. You sound like middle-aged shoe salesmen reminiscing about highschool football heroism. We could have those battles every day, if IS would grow a pair.

Edited by bobF, 29 December 2014 - 09:14 PM.

#37 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 09:43 PM

View PostbobF, on 29 December 2014 - 09:09 PM, said:

Words

Posted Image

#38 bobF

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 10:28 PM

Posted Image

#39 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 29 December 2014 - 10:36 PM

View PostbobF, on 29 December 2014 - 09:09 PM, said:

You first need to get accurate information, before you start losing to the Clans properly en masse. I've dropped with CGBI and STS and they are no joke, as their planetary ownership attests. They are the ones that re-conquered New Bergen, which wasn;t taken by "IS" but by CI working for FRR (who is also currently employed by the Bear, putting our race to Terra on turbo mode). GB does just fine without the mercs, though their wrecking face on the Bear's behalf is certainly appreciated. For all of the power and skill MS and CI can bring to bear, the Great Troll of Ferris was a failure. Wolf handled business, despite them being Wolves (no offense my canine trothkin, but cease fire with the Steiners? Somehow, intentional or not, you guys collectively RP that ponderous, wonky Warden outlook).

As for CSJ, I don't think PGI or whatever algorithm is used to determine attack pathing will choke them off from anything. They may be the first Clan to hold the distinct honor of sundering the first great house capital, something I proposed in place of a race to Terra in another post. I don't think anyone will be displeased with the epeenery that would justify, at least Clans. The IS may have some political fallout to deal with but considering the raw deal you guys are handing Kurita already with your amateur hour Dav/Marik border jerking, you likely don't care anyway.

You cannot defeat us because we are united. The lore says Invading Clans go kick everyone's ass, so that's exactly what Clans are doing. Davion goes struttin' as like half the playerbase RPs the FedCom; well, witness the power of four factions absolutely united. We got whine posts galore. Clans shouldn't have turrets. Clans always win defense. Clan mechs OP. ****, even the combined trolling power of two unhinged merc groups and the Lords couldn't break up this unity (glad you guys finally worked out that Butte Hold). Wolves making the entire Lyran peoples into peaceful bondsmen didn't even budge the unity. You guys go on full alert if a rogue Steiner pirate group attacks your precious Graham IV, and then srs bzns threads are posted, along with emergency council meetings and hasty calls for peace over the red line. SMH.

Unity is why you will lose, and unity is what will make the PvP apocalyptic. **** Wazaaaaa or w/e backwater planet you chumps keep recycling in the intellectual spank bank. You sound like middle-aged shoe salesmen reminiscing about highschool football heroism. We could have those battles every day, if IS would grow a pair.

Boy, I would really care about those words, if they didn't come from a bear. You're all an insult to the lore CGB. If they saw you, they would declare a trial of annihilation right then and there. Especially since CGB was the main clan that lead the anti-mercs campaign, to the point where there was no zellbriggen offered to mercs, and all bears were instructed to kill mercenaries on sight.

Go back to your cave. Grow some claws, and maybe then we might care.

#40 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 29 December 2014 - 11:29 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 29 December 2014 - 10:36 PM, said:

Boy, I would really care about those words, if they didn't come from a bear. You're all an insult to the lore CGB. If they saw you, they would declare a trial of annihilation right then and there. Especially since CGB was the main clan that lead the anti-mercs campaign, to the point where there was no zellbriggen offered to mercs, and all bears were instructed to kill mercenaries on sight.

Go back to your cave. Grow some claws, and maybe then we might care.

Honestly, If we had more players in CW i wouldn't mind the Mercs not being allowed to join the clans....but then again that would be fair to them on a RL level, especially those with Clan mechs. I wouldn't mind the contracts being longer as well....7 days is too short.

View PostIraqiWalker, on 29 December 2014 - 03:43 AM, said:

CSJ is tough as nails, but they are small as you said, and they are being choked out by CGB. Who by virtue of seizing words too quickly, end up taking Kurita worlds. Which keep cutting CSJ off from their invasion corridor towards Terra.

We may be few but we are fierce and fight to the bitter end everyone of us. Even though the Smoke Jags go under many Unit Tags we are very much one force moving to Terra. We even bring the PUGS and SOLO pilots into our TS servers to ensure the best chance of success each time. Some even join once they see the finely geared machine moving...we have even taking a few bondsman.

But to answer the OP....any 12 man fit to fight and coordinated on comms is a true test of skill for our pilots. The toughest fights I have had to date have been against Nights Scorn [NS] which have mostly been brawls to the finish with them taking many more wins then I care to mention. :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users