8 replies to this topic

#1 Rihko

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 37 posts
  • LocationLincoln, NE

Posted 23 December 2014 - 01:37 PM

Before I get into the full discussion, I would like to say that I rather like the improvements that have been made to CW over the last week; being able to see who is queued where and so on have been fantastic. That being said, I think that a byproduct of the queue visibility is that the majority of active players have migrated to the Clan front.

Are the empty queues too discouraging? Have we lost the drive to fight back against Davion already? When are we going to start turning around our 21 planet loss? What will it take to get more pilots on the Davion front again?

#2 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 01:39 PM

Yes. Return to harassing the Davions.

This way there won't be an overhwelming 4-to-1 majority of Davions pushing on Liao territory granting them free wins.

#3 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 23 December 2014 - 03:33 PM

View PostKoniving, on 23 December 2014 - 01:39 PM, said:

This way there won't be an overhwelming 4-to-1 majority of Davions pushing on Liao territory granting them free wins.

Especially since they're getting thrown against the meatgrinder that is the Marik/Davion front.

#4 Not Bob

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • 688 posts
  • LocationThat one place

Posted 23 December 2014 - 03:51 PM

Posted Image

#5 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 04:02 PM

Watch the Queues. If the Davion border with Liao is quiet, as in no Liao are attacking Davion, generally the queue for attacking Liao from Davion is quiet. They problem is you see attackers queue up to attack Davion from Liao, then suddenly 50 or 60+ defenders queue up (we fill our defensive queues QUICKLY you'll notice) and then people start filling to attack Liao since they don't want to wait 20 minutes to defend against them.

Defense queues fill first, then attack, generally as a response to a full or lop-sided defense queue. There's always going to be a few folks who just want to drop against Liao but the only reason we HAVE such a hot Dav/Mar border fight going on was that Marik had some early successes against Davion and it's sparked ah 'Oh, so you want to play hardball?' otherwise we'd probably have stuck to Kurita for 90% of our efforts.

Best way to get 200 Davions lined up, itching to shoot at you is try to take a Davion world. Manage to take one and it'll turn into 500 and stay that way for the next 10 or 20 cycles and people forget.

Ask any Davion though, they'd tell you that in general they prefer raging against Kurita and Clanners. Marik just really pissed us off by beating us consistently early on (and having some units that specialized in light zergs before the hitreg fix). We're slowing down on the Marik border and that'll likely continue to taper off; I think we're starting to feel like we paid that back in spades especially with the recovery of Old Kentucky.

That and fighting Clanners is like clubbing seals. Seriously. I've had matches where we were on defense and literally went in with the objective of just farming kills; leg them, then both arms, then one side torso, then the other for max score. Many of us are spending more and more time up north. Bluntly Mariks are a hard, brutal fight every single match and we're generally at a 60% win rate - enough to ensure victory when combined with our numerical advantage but it's hard fought every single round. Against Clanners I've won on wave 2 playing pugs against organized groups. Jade Falcons are hardcore; they've been fighting with top tier Steiner units for the last few days and have had to buck up. Everywhere else on the line? They've been playing against 80% disorganized pugs and first-time CW drops and have never had to learn hard tactics. We went 11 for 12 against them last night and only 1 match was one I'd call 'close'.

Queues for IS matches are quieting down while Clan borders are heating up. That's not a bad thing.

#6 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 23 December 2014 - 04:05 PM

You operate under the assumption that we're going to let up on the border.
Kurita promised us kick ass sushi when our borders touch.

Edited by Roadbeer, 23 December 2014 - 04:07 PM.

#7 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 04:24 PM

View PostRoadbeer, on 23 December 2014 - 04:05 PM, said:

You operate under the assumption that we're going to let up on the border.
Kurita promised us kick ass sushi when our borders touch.

Best of luck on that. Suppose you win one tomorrow; that'll be, what, 6 or 7 worlds lost for 1 gain. Going to be hard to make a lot of progress that way. Actually taking a Davion world would be a great way to ensure that you get a lot more attention for the next few weeks, again.

Do what you got to do. Maybe you should ask Kurita to at least show up on their border sometimes. That might make meeting them for sushi a bit easier. Given that the Kurita border moves 1 world away from you every single round you've got a long row to hoe.

#8 Rihko

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 37 posts
  • LocationLincoln, NE

Posted 24 December 2014 - 08:43 AM

View PostMischiefSC, on 23 December 2014 - 04:24 PM, said:

Do what you got to do. Maybe you should ask Kurita to at least show up on their border sometimes. That might make meeting them for sushi a bit easier. Given that the Kurita border moves 1 world away from you every single round you've got a long row to hoe.

I've tried. :) If it would let me drop with less than 12 I'd have been there. :/

#9 StillRadioactive

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 644 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 24 December 2014 - 11:34 AM

View PostKoniving, on 23 December 2014 - 01:39 PM, said:

Your excuse falls flat. The fact is that the combination of Kurita + Marik + Liao greatly outnumber Davion. Add to that the fact that Liao literally only has one contested border, and reports that Marik aren't defending their Steiner border at all point to them being solely focused on the Davion border, and you've got a tough fight.

Especially if you consider the fact that the Davion/Marik and Davion/Liao borders have some of the toughest fighting in the game, you'll realize that it's not auto-wins. Your unit might be doing well, but there are several other games going on that you can't see. Somewhere, someone is losing actual games to Davion pretty much at all times.

Oh, and there's also the tweet from Russ about auto-wins not deciding planets... so...

https://twitter.com/...121833934213120

Edited by StillRadioactive, 24 December 2014 - 11:34 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users