My Reasons For Playing The Lurm Game

54 replies to this topic

#1 Shiroi Tsuki

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,205 posts
  • LocationCosplaying Ruby from Rwby in Aiur, Auckland, GA America, Interior Union, Mar Sara and Remnant

Posted 28 December 2014 - 06:17 AM

We've all heard "Warning, Incoming missile" and we all hate it. I'm talking about Lurms, for those that don't know. I'll admit, I play with Lurms. About half of the Mechs I own are modified as Lurm boats, even though a couple of them are not designed to. These are my reasons why I play the Lurm game.

Reason 1: I find them visually appealing when I launch them out of my Mech, or seeing them flying around in the sky. The sound on the larger LRM launchers also sound "cool" . It's even cooler when I see a couple hundred of these in the sky at once. Peace through superior firepower anyone? :D

Reason 2: I like to play as the artillery role. Don't get me wrong, I'm NOT a big fan of point and click, I just like to provide fire support for the team! If Mech mortars or artilleries were implemented in, It's very likely that I would be using those a lot.

Reason 3: The biggest reason why I play the lurm game, is because I have sh!77y FPS. My average is around 15. In CW, it's 8 (assuming that I'm lucky enough to connect, AND avoid watching a very slow slideshow of a battle for 30 mins). Lately, I've been getting random FPS lag to the point whenever I get one, I die. It's infuriating. I want to participate in battles, but if I want to be anywhere near helpful or successful, I need to go Lurms.

I don't like point and click, but those are my reasons why I play the LRM game. Personally, as one of those that uses these, I don't find them OP, but I do find them annoying. (I mean c'mon! point and click from like a 800+ meters away, who wouldn't get annoyed?) An oblivious LRM boat pilot is almost as useless as an AS7-DDC that has lost both side torsi running a STD engine. LRMs are not OP, they're annoying. If you're getting killed by these, you're probably doing it wrong.

#2 superteds

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 722 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 06:23 AM

interdasting

#3 RustyBolts

• The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 06:26 AM

I have played them at various times and will still play them on a occasion or two. The best way to learn how to defeat a LRM boat is to play one in order to learn its weaknesses. Rule number one, Know your enemy.

I also like to use the LRM boat when my FPS start going south also or because I just want to LRM someone to death. And I have to admit that I also like to occasionally cause some hate and discontent.

#4 StraferX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 640 posts
  • LocationWest Virginia

Posted 28 December 2014 - 06:37 AM

Please forgive me as I have probably been the one who in my inner voice have been asking why? I so understand with the low FPS but you just don't know that when your in the heat of the battle.

I don't hate LRM's but I hate the way they are implemented. The current state makes them exactly as you state easy mode point and click and as much as I know this will never change I wish a more tactical use could be made for LRM pilots. I stand in aw in the cover of a tall structure watching as some poor sap gets pummeled to death by 5 LRM boats firing hundreds of rockets.

I wish you had better FPS and could join in the brawl.

#5 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 28 December 2014 - 06:40 AM

View PostShiroi Tsuki, on 28 December 2014 - 06:17 AM, said:

We've all heard "Warning, Incoming missile" and we all hate it.

I don't. It doesn't even sound dangerous to my ears anymore. I graduated that school already back in 2012. ;)

As for reasons to play LRM boats, I can name more:

1. It is a very efficient means of overlapping team firepower. When two teams duel across narrow place, (Mining colony pathways come to mind) it is much better to have half the team shooting DF weapons while the other half provide overhead missile fire support.

2. It is a very effective psychological tool. Even a single LRM5 is enough to send the whole enemy team ducking down or torso twisting sometimes--which equals to them not shooting at our team. Plus it annoys the crap outta the enemy and I enjoy every single bit of their tears.

3. It ignores lag-shield of those pesky Lights. Once I get my NARC on them, it is goodbye to their legs, no ifs ands, or buts.

4. It is a great suppression tool. See that Direwhale or a King Crab? Watch me chainfire my LRMs and mess with their aim so much that their only strength--extreme firepower--is rendered nearly useless. And Clan launchers take that philosophy to the next level with no-minimum range. I scared off so many Lights with CLRMs at close range, they must have thought that I have SSRMs. :D

Edited by El Bandito, 28 December 2014 - 06:54 AM.

#6 Shiroi Tsuki

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,205 posts
  • LocationCosplaying Ruby from Rwby in Aiur, Auckland, GA America, Interior Union, Mar Sara and Remnant

Posted 28 December 2014 - 06:46 AM

View PostStraferX, on 28 December 2014 - 06:37 AM, said:

Please forgive me as I have probably been the one who in my inner voice have been asking why? I so understand with the low FPS but you just don't know that when your in the heat of the battle.

I don't hate LRM's but I hate the way they are implemented. The current state makes them exactly as you state easy mode point and click and as much as I know this will never change I wish a more tactical use could be made for LRM pilots. I stand in aw in the cover of a tall structure watching as some poor sap gets pummeled to death by 5 LRM boats firing hundreds of rockets.

I wish you had better FPS and could join in the brawl.

Some of my Mechs are "multiroles" and I have a bad FPS in general.

View PostEl Bandito, on 28 December 2014 - 06:40 AM, said:

I don't. It doesn't even sound dangerous to my ears anymore. I graduated that school already back in 2012. ;)

As for reasons to play LRM boats, I can name more:

1. It is a very efficient means of overlapping team firepower. When two teams duel across narrow place, (Mining colony pathways come to mind) it is much better to have half the team shooting DF weapons while the other half provide overhead missile fire support.

2. It is a very effective psychological tool. Even a single LRM5 is enough to send the whole enemy team ducking down or torso twisting sometimes--which equals to them not shooting at our team. Plus it annoys the crap outta the enemy and I enjoy every single bit of their tears.

3. It ignores lag-shield of those pesky Lights. Once I get my NARC on them, it is goodbye to their legs, no ifs ands, or buts.

4. It is a great suppression tool. See that Direwhale or a King Crab? Watch me chainfire my LRMs and mess with their aim so much that their only strength--extreme firepower--is rendered nearly useless.

Yes! I also like that psycho effect! I can't believe I forgot to add that in.

#7 Latorque

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 06:54 AM

Enemy mechs taken apart by LRMs are the only time "killstealer" crosses my mind.

Basically; i don't suffer much under them (thanks to enough RDMs); was forced to play them occasionally (for mastering better variants of a chassis, see K2), and i kind of suspect they're basically a tool for keeping very bad players in the game by giving them a "auto-win/ auto-profit" button. Jesus; it's basically the only weapon system with several modules and countermeasures (eating up C-Bills, slots and tonnage) specifically designed to alleviate their otherwise crushing influence on a match.

I can live with them though; as long as they're not as ubiquitous as after the speed buff. If nothing else works for your horrible FPS; i guess it's the best reason to field them ;)

#8 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 06:59 AM

View PostLatorque, on 28 December 2014 - 06:54 AM, said:

Jesus; it's basically the only weapon system with several modules and countermeasures (eating up C-Bills, slots and tonnage) specifically designed to alleviate their otherwise crushing influence on a match.

Oh, and I suppose Advanced Targetting Module, BAP, TAG, NARC, and Artemis does not cost C-Bills, slots, and tonnage then?

Stop being one-sided.

#9 Shiroi Tsuki

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 07:02 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 28 December 2014 - 06:59 AM, said:

[/size]

Oh, and I suppose Advanced Targetting Module, BAP, TAG, NARC, and Artemis does not cost C-Bills, slots, and tonnage then?

Stop being one-sided.

He's got a point. The artemis upgrade is kinda costly, but I honestly don't see the difference. Well, in Lurms anyway

Edited by Shiroi Tsuki, 28 December 2014 - 07:02 AM.

#10 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 07:08 AM

View PostShiroi Tsuki, on 28 December 2014 - 07:02 AM, said:

He's got a point. The artemis upgrade is kinda costly, but I honestly don't see the difference. Well, in Lurms anyway

It shows its difference in LRM15 and LRM20 the most by making the grouping much tighter as well as speeding up lock time. But you need to have direct line of sight for Artemis to work. If you do indirect fire a lot, then it is not needed. I recommend sticking with LRM10s most of the time as it has tight enough grouping even without Artemis guidance and good enough numbers to punch through AMS umbrella.

Edited by El Bandito, 28 December 2014 - 07:10 AM.

#11 Latorque

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 07:14 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 28 December 2014 - 06:59 AM, said:

[/size]

Stop being one-sided.

They surely do; but they're built for empowering your mounted weapon system (which works ok without them from my experience as a bored-out-of-my-mind-unwilling-LRM-pilot, see "mastering" above); not for disabling mine. If i could buy a module that gives my AC rounds a homing device; i'd sure as hell buy it.

As i said; i can live with LRMs at the moment; if they stay in their current position in the ever-shifting balance. If push comes to shove; i'll vote for "nerf" over "buff" all the time. ;)

Edited by Latorque, 28 December 2014 - 07:14 AM.

#12 Shiroi Tsuki

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 07:14 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 28 December 2014 - 07:08 AM, said:

It shows its difference in LRM15 and LRM20 the most by making the grouping much tighter as well as speeding up lock time. But you need to have direct line of sight for Artemis to work. If you do indirect fire a lot, then it is not needed. I recommend sticking with LRM10s most of the time as it has tight enough grouping even without Artemis guidance and good enough numbers to punch through AMS umbrella.

Where can I read about the Artemis upgrade?
I do indirect a lot. Arty role dude!

#13 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 07:18 AM

View PostShiroi Tsuki, on 28 December 2014 - 07:14 AM, said:

Where can I read about the Artemis upgrade?
I do indirect a lot. Arty role dude!

Here you go. :)

http://mwo.gamepedia.../Artemis_IV_FCS

One more thing--Contrary to what the page says, Artemis upgrade does in fact make SSRM locks faster.

Edited by El Bandito, 28 December 2014 - 07:21 AM.

#14 Shiroi Tsuki

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 07:24 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 28 December 2014 - 07:18 AM, said:

Here you go. :)

http://mwo.gamepedia.../Artemis_IV_FCS

One more thing--Contrary to what the page says, Artemis upgrade does in fact make SSRM locks faster.

Thankie!

#15 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 28 December 2014 - 08:17 PM

View PostShiroi Tsuki, on 28 December 2014 - 06:17 AM, said:

We've all heard "Warning, Incoming missile" and we all hate it. I'm talking about Lurms, for those that don't know. I'll admit, I play with Lurms. About half of the Mechs I own are modified as Lurm boats, even though a couple of them are not designed to. These are my reasons why I play the Lurm game.

Reason 1: I find them visually appealing when I launch them out of my Mech, or seeing them flying around in the sky. The sound on the larger LRM launchers also sound "cool" . It's even cooler when I see a couple hundred of these in the sky at once. Peace through superior firepower anyone? :D

Reason 2: I like to play as the artillery role. Don't get me wrong, I'm NOT a big fan of point and click, I just like to provide fire support for the team! If Mech mortars or artilleries were implemented in, It's very likely that I would be using those a lot.

Reason 3: The biggest reason why I play the lurm game, is because I have sh!77y FPS. My average is around 15. In CW, it's 8 (assuming that I'm lucky enough to connect, AND avoid watching a very slow slideshow of a battle for 30 mins). Lately, I've been getting random FPS lag to the point whenever I get one, I die. It's infuriating. I want to participate in battles, but if I want to be anywhere near helpful or successful, I need to go Lurms.

I don't like point and click, but those are my reasons why I play the LRM game. Personally, as one of those that uses these, I don't find them OP, but I do find them annoying. (I mean c'mon! point and click from like a 800+ meters away, who wouldn't get annoyed?) An oblivious LRM boat pilot is almost as useless as an AS7-DDC that has lost both side torsi running a STD engine. LRMs are not OP, they're annoying. If you're getting killed by these, you're probably doing it wrong.

All things I experienced, enjoyed and fought with till I got my current computer. Let's be honest, LRMs are the weapon of low FPS, not low skill. Skill is easily purchased with a large monitor and better computer. that's the real and unspoken 'P2W' right there.

The instant I got framerates worth looking at, my LRMs became what I call "Tactical Flex" weapons. Why? I can blast them back with my direct fire weapons, launch and duck back while they eat a volley of 20 LRMs and then pop back out and whack em.

Good on you Shiroi for understanding this and loving the Lurm.

#16 Pjwned

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 28 December 2014 - 10:02 PM

I like playing my medium LRM boat occasionally, it's pretty satisfying moving in on a target and raining LRMs on them or even just scaring them off a bit, and the best part is being able to actually move around instead of being loaded down with so many LRM tubes that all you can do is sit in back and hope somebody spots some targets for you.

It can be really frustrating though, especially on maps like Canyon Network when the whole team decides to play peek-a-boo, which means no solid locks unless I want to get blasted in the face. It's also rare that LRMs turn the tide in any sort of big group fight, especially with ECM clusters involved, and performance levels can be pretty dependent on the rest of your team which I often don't like doing, but finding a juicy target out in the open or assisting at least 1 teammate with their brawl/skirmish is pretty nice because it really disrupts the enemy's engagement to have LRMs falling on them.

Edited by Pjwned, 28 December 2014 - 10:04 PM.

#17 Shiroi Tsuki

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 10:10 PM

View PostPjwned, on 28 December 2014 - 10:02 PM, said:

I like playing my medium LRM boat occasionally, it's pretty satisfying moving in on a target and raining LRMs on them or even just scaring them off a bit, and the best part is being able to actually move around instead of being loaded down with so many LRM tubes that all you can do is sit in back and hope somebody spots some targets for you.

It can be really frustrating though, especially on maps like Canyon Network when the whole team decides to play peek-a-boo, which means no solid locks unless I want to get blasted in the face. It's also rare that LRMs turn the tide in any sort of big group fight, especially with ECM clusters involved, and performance levels can be pretty dependent on the rest of your team which I often don't like doing, but finding a juicy target out in the open or assisting at least 1 teammate with their brawl/skirmish is pretty nice because it really disrupts the enemy's engagement to have LRMs falling on them.

Canyon is my fav map of all (followed by Terra Therma) and I agree! Lurming in that map had been a nightmare for me

#18 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 28 December 2014 - 10:30 PM

Video of me playing the LRMisher game in my griffin 1S. I would be hard pressed to do this at the frame rates you're having, but I have done similar stuff. Distance and lowest settings are your friends.

#19 RazarG

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 140 posts
  • LocationGrandside, Sydney

Posted 28 December 2014 - 10:37 PM

No shame Op, no need to justify. There is another thread somewhere where the OP explains why a good LRM boat'er isnt a noob, there is a art to Lurming, not a fine art, but an art nonetheless.

Lag/FPS are valid reasons to favour lurms in your build.

Best point OP made, is that Lurms arent OP, annoying as **** yes they are. So much so, ive named one mech (that i dont own) the Kuntaro. Slammed by lrm 5s constantly is annoying as ****. And if i was a less experinced player, they would be killing me, with me shouting LURMS ARE OP!!!!!!

#20 Karenai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 340 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 28 December 2014 - 10:37 PM

Low fps is also the reason why I started to play LRMs and I liked it. It is the only usable thing you can do if your fps drop below 15 infight. Is has kept me playing while the game engine ran atrociously.

15 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 15 guests, 0 anonymous users