Clan Vs Clan Mech Balancing Through Upgrades Not Quirks

1 reply to this topic

Poll: Clan vs Clan Balancing Poll (5 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like to see the below mentioned upgrades implemented into MWO

1. Yes, good idea! (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. No, you crazy? (5 votes [100.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

3. Undecided (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Myke Pantera

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 836 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 29 December 2014 - 09:48 AM

So it's time for another one of those huge feature suggestions threads by me, that no one cares to read because TL;DR; where I spent more time writing it, than all of you together reading it, but whatever... I still wonna do this.

The Goal:
What I would like to see is a good way of balancing clan mechs against each other. Because right now we have the problem that 3 chassis (Timberwolf, Stormcrow & Direwolf) are dominating their weight bracket, and each attempt to balance IS mechs against Clan mechs is destined to fail as long as the difference in effectiveness between clan mechs is as huge as it currently is. So they could use Quirks to level the playingfield but in all honesty Quirks are against everything Omnimechs stand for, so there needs to be a different solution.

I'm aware that the proposed changes increase the effectiveness of some clan mechs, and that there needs to be further Clan vs IS balancing after these changes, but if the Clans don't get some Clan vs Clan balancing we will only see Timers, Stormcrows, Direwolves and Hellbringers... And i don't want that.

The Suggestion:
  • Allow Clan Omnimechs to upgrade/downgrade Ferro Fibrous Armor
  • Allow Clan Omnimechs to upgrade/downgrade Endo Steel Structure
  • Allow Clan Omnimechs to upgrade/downgrade one engine rating (read important details below)

Ferro Fibrous & Endo Steel:
The Idea is to let clan Omnimechs select between Standard and Ferro Fibrous Armor and to let them select between Standard Structure and Endo Steel Structure. Compared to IS mechs there are two important things to take into consideration:
  • Ferro Fibrous and Endo Steel Slots are at a fixed position unlike the IS where the critical slots for them are floating.
  • The fixed slots may not intervene with future fixed Jump Jet slots of no yet released Omnipods/Variants.
  • Up- and downgrading works just like with inner sphere mechs, it's just more expensive.

Engine Rating:
The idea is to give every Omnimech one xtra engine rating to upgrade/downgrade to. This other engine size still needs to be a multiple of the mechs weight (like in the TT rulse). The following ruleset is used to determine the upgrade/downgrade engine size.
  • Engine size needs to be a multiple of the mechs weight
  • Allow upgrade if such an engine exists (there are no engine ratings > 400)
  • Allow upgrade if the engine doesn't break the games speed limits ( max speed atm seems to be around 170kph)
  • Upgrade engine has the same amount of DHS the original had, and surplus engine heat sink slots may not be used (like with the Ice Ferret, which can't use the 2 unused engine heatsink slots)
  • Allow downgrade if upgrade is not possible
  • Downgraded engine holds as many heatsinks as the original one or less if it has less internal slots available.
  • Up- and downgrading doesn't buy you a new engine. Pay e.g. 2M CBills to upgrade your engine from 250 to 300 on a Nova, and 1M Cbills to downgrade your engine from 300 to 250.

List of Omnimechs and available options:
Below is a list of all currently available Omnimechs along with the information where Ferro Fibrous and Endo Steel Slots are found when selected and every fixed equipment including JJ.

Left Torso[3/1]: ES, 2xFF, 2xDHS, (2xJJ)

...would mean that the left torso contains 1xFixed Structure Slot, 2xFixed Armor Slots, 2xFixed Double-Heatsinks and there exists at least one omnipod that has 2 Jump-jets fixed to it. The numbers in [] show the amount of available slots in that location with and without the JJ installed and considering hand and lower arm actuators removed.

** Mist Lynx **
Spoiler

** Kit Fox **
Spoiler

** Adder **
Spoiler

** Ice Ferret **
Spoiler

** Nova **
Spoiler

** Stormcrow **
Spoiler

** Mad Dog **
Spoiler

** Hellbringer **
Spoiler

** Summoner **
Spoiler

** Timberwolf **
Spoiler

** Gargoyle **
Spoiler

** Warhawk **
Spoiler

** Direwolf **
Spoiler

Summary:
I believe the above mentioned upgrades would help some of the currently underwhelming clan mechs. Mist Lynx, Kit Fox, Adder & Nova would greatly profit from an upgraded engine. Ice Ferret and maybe Gargoyle would profit from a downgraded engine. The ability to remove Ferro-Fibrous might help the Warhawk. The ability to add or switch to Endo-Steel might help some of the lesser heavies and the Nova. Stormcrow and Direwolf would gain some flexibility but wouldn't become stronger. The only one where i can't predict if it would make it better is the Timberwolf, but i highly doubt it since it's current speed is part of the reason why it's so good I believe. Only those mechs that are still subpar after these changes could receive some Quirks, but I'd rather not see Quirks on Clan-Omnimechs at all.

So... What do you think?

Edited by Myke Pantera, 29 December 2014 - 09:51 AM.

#2 Firewuff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,204 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 31 December 2014 - 07:10 PM

A) as you said this breaks all current balancing with IS which is seriously bad.

B) you are trying to solve a problem that really doesnt exist. A kitfox should not be competitive against a timberwolf or dire wolf. Its a light. Adders are not great but again a role mech. Novas are very good if played smartly. Not all mechs will be equal.... this is ok.

C) removing the current restrictions to the clan mechs will lead to a pile of very broken builds which no amount of weapon balancing will fix

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users