Is Tactics Vs Clanners On Boreal Vault

31 replies to this topic

#1 Straith

• PipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 36 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 12:07 PM

Please do not post any bitching about balance between Clan VS IS. What I'm looking for are solutions to the struggle of attacking them on Boreal Vault. Also please refrain from L2P nonsense.

Typically I've seen them lineup on the nearby hill and focus down attackers trying to hit the gate generators. Once we breach, they just stay there and turkey shoot our mechs unless we can manage a coordinated push. If we get past that point, it's usually been about 6 mechs guarding the objective and 6 attacking the attackers.

Are those observations typical of others experience? Ideas on how we can evolve the fight to our advantage?

For the beta gate, I've been able to slip my Raven into a little nook on the hill where I can hit the generator without overly exposing myself to counter attack. Past that, the left run around the canyon edge seems to provide the best cover up to the generators, but I typically see strong resistance on the ramp leading up to the target. I've found the attack along the right side to be more exposed and so I don't really like to go that way.

Edited by Straith, 29 December 2014 - 12:11 PM.

#2 Triordinant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 29 December 2014 - 12:09 PM

The short answer: wait until CW is no longer Beta. Hopefully, they fix it by then.

#3 hybrid black

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 844 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 12:09 PM

thunderbolt 9s and lots of them

and not what the guy up there said

when mercstar played IS last week we just shot the clans to death and didn't open the gates till we wanted to move in, the gates give a lot of cover for the attacking team use it

Edited by hybrid black, 29 December 2014 - 12:11 PM.

#4 Straith

• PipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 36 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 12:14 PM

View Posthybrid black, on 29 December 2014 - 12:09 PM, said:

thunderbolt 9s and lots of them

3 ER-PPC loadout I assume?
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7a7b004cc05d7ce

I've noted that missile boats are worthless when attacking, as I can't get any decent locks.

Edited by Straith, 29 December 2014 - 12:16 PM.

#5 Rhaythe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 12:15 PM

I'm not convinced the "rush the generators" strategy works for several reasons:
  • Ignoring legged mechs is hard, especially with mixed units. Your instinct, when shot at, is to shoot back.
  • Defenders in legged mechs just respawn at base - where you're attacking - in fresh mechs.
  • Attacker waves are severely staggered, generally with several minutes between them.
Instead, I think skirmishes surrounding the gates is a far better option using light mechs to force defenders to respond in one direction or another. Pushes can be made, but mostly, I'd like to see the heavies and assaults drawing combatants to the gates while lights and mediums make the pushes at the generators without the extra overhead of staggered waves.

#6 hybrid black

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 844 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 12:16 PM

View PostStraith, on 29 December 2014 - 12:14 PM, said:

3 ER-PPC loadout I assume?

I've noted that missile boats are worthless when attacking, as I can't get any decent locks.

to be honest when playing clans i like the 4 with an xl 300 its not as tanky but you can pop up and alpha and not overheat and come back down with no damage taken, if you get a few people doing that the clans wont stay on there hills for long and the gates go down easy

and yes LRMs are next to useless when playing clans hellbringers can do the same role as timbers at range but give ECM, have high mounts and players are finding that out

Edited by hybrid black, 29 December 2014 - 12:18 PM.

#7 Podex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 657 posts
  • LocationThe soup kitchen in your Prius

Posted 29 December 2014 - 12:17 PM

Guys, not the place to discuss tactics. Just sayin'

#8 hybrid black

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 844 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 12:19 PM

View PostPodex, on 29 December 2014 - 12:17 PM, said:

and where would be this is the CW forum is it not?

#9 Podex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 657 posts
  • LocationThe soup kitchen in your Prius

Posted 29 December 2014 - 12:22 PM

Yes it is, but I don't think it's wise to discuss an enemy's weakness while he's around. And...you just proved my point by being here.

#10 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 29 December 2014 - 12:27 PM

No, please continue. :ph34r:

#11 hybrid black

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 844 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 12:27 PM

View PostPodex, on 29 December 2014 - 12:22 PM, said:

Yes it is, but I don't think it's wise to discuss an enemy's weakness while he's around. And...you just proved my point by being here.

i am playing clans now and im telling him what to do, and were even attacking his faction, the game is boring and people need help to find a way to play and give a challenge to ME, IS has the advantage in all range bands, the thunderbolt 9s beats clans at long range, the thunderbolt SS beats them at med range and IS lights and meds dominate the close game and even being slow the DDC is still the king of sub 340m.

the problem is the IS have more mechs that don't do anything or are still useless, clans are general and not special thats what makes them good you see a stromcrow and you dont know what build it has, but you see a thunbolt 9s and you know its long range PPC's or at least it should be.

Edited by hybrid black, 29 December 2014 - 12:34 PM.

#12 Basilisk222

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 288 posts
  • LocationElmira Heights

Posted 29 December 2014 - 12:28 PM

Meh nm

Edited by Kilgorin Strom, 29 December 2014 - 12:29 PM.

#13 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 29 December 2014 - 12:38 PM

View Posthybrid black, on 29 December 2014 - 12:27 PM, said:

i am playing clans now and im telling him what to do ...

Posted Image

#14 Abivard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 1,935 posts
  • LocationFree Rasalhague Republic

Posted 29 December 2014 - 12:59 PM

Your main problem sounds as if it might be more related to pugging/small groups in CW then actual tactics.

There are at least 7 or 8 tactical plans that can lead to successful Attacks. They however hinge on many things besides the tactics in play, they need teamwork, voice comms, skilled players in good mechs with good builds used in the proper manner at the proper points, timing ,patience and an aggressive spirit.

The best plan in the world is only as good as the people who try to carry it out.

#15 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,971 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 29 December 2014 - 01:35 PM

One tactic is the bait

Open the gates then pull back let them come out, the IS can screw some claners up that way

Another is the distraction rush I have seen both sides do this and it works but takes good timing and the heavies making a big enough commotion

Edited by Davegt27, 30 December 2014 - 01:58 PM.

#16 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 29 December 2014 - 02:00 PM

No please....discuss!

I will add it to the Notebook of IS tactics i have been making!

MUWHAHA!

#17 Sahoj

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Gunjin
  • 268 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 02:15 PM

Wave 1:
Bring 12 Stalkers - Ear laser them down

Wave 2:
Bring 12 Stalkers - Ear laser them down.

Wave 3:
Bring 12 Firestarters - Pew pew them down.

Wave 4:
Bring 12 Firestarters - Pew pew them down.

#18 Mao of DC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 690 posts
  • LocationTerra, Sol System

Posted 29 December 2014 - 02:26 PM

The tactics my group have worked up are effective regardless of side we play. One of the advantages of being with a Merc Corp we get around and learn a thing or two. My point is the Clan can and have been beaten on that map by IS troops. The biggest mistake attacking forces make is focusing on a fight and not the objectives. Turrets and generators ladies and gentlemen it's that simple. If you are in a group and everyone hits a target as they walk by it the last in line might not even get a hit on that mech. Legging a mech is key even if they eject they are out of the fight for a few seconds. There are a few more trade secrets that I'll keep but I will tell you this artillery and airstrike DO NOT WORK on the generators.

#19 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 29 December 2014 - 02:30 PM

View PostMao of DC, on 29 December 2014 - 02:26 PM, said:

The tactics my group have worked up are effective regardless of side we play. One of the advantages of being with a Merc Corp we get around and learn a thing or two. My point is the Clan can and have been beaten on that map by IS troops. The biggest mistake attacking forces make is focusing on a fight and not the objectives. Turrets and generators ladies and gentlemen it's that simple. If you are in a group and everyone hits a target as they walk by it the last in line might not even get a hit on that mech. Legging a mech is key even if they eject they are out of the fight for a few seconds. There are a few more trade secrets that I'll keep but I will tell you this artillery and airstrike DO NOT WORK on the generators.

DING DING DING! This pilot gets it! ^^^^

If you want to win by attrition (killing them before they kill you) you must kill AT LEAST 1.6 mechs a minute and that leaves NO TIME to take down gens and Omega.

So more like 2 mechs a minute which is 24 minutes and leaves you 6 minutes to kills gens and Omega.

Do you see now why winning by Attrition is a BAD idea? I will give no more pointers but do the math....3 gens and Omega vs 48 mechs PLUS 3 gens and Omega.

Pick the course of least resistance.

#20 hybrid black

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 844 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 02:47 PM

View PostDarthRevis, on 29 December 2014 - 02:30 PM, said:

DING DING DING! This pilot gets it! ^^^^

If you want to win by attrition (killing them before they kill you) you must kill AT LEAST 1.6 mechs a minute and that leaves NO TIME to take down gens and Omega.

So more like 2 mechs a minute which is 24 minutes and leaves you 6 minutes to kills gens and Omega.

Do you see now why winning by Attrition is a BAD idea? I will give no more pointers but do the math....3 gens and Omega vs 48 mechs PLUS 3 gens and Omega.

Pick the course of least resistance.

this is how mercstar wins all its matches in 14 min lol

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users