Pgi, Why Are 90% Of The Cars In Crimson Straights Blue?

35 replies to this topic

#21 Barantor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts
  • LocationLexington, KY USA

Posted 30 December 2014 - 06:54 AM

View Postkuangmk11, on 30 December 2014 - 12:22 AM, said:

If we could be infantry like that then there would be a use for a flamer finally....

#22 totgeboren

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 357 posts
  • LocationUmeå, Sweden

Posted 30 December 2014 - 07:46 AM

Well the scale in MWO is so off it sort of boggles the mind. As mentioned earlier, a tank today weighs about the same as a Heavy mech, so Heavy mechs should be around the same size as a tank standing on its end.

I mean, that video is a good example. The DW that comes bouncing past looks much much smaller from the way it's moving. Hitting it with a missile is pretty hard because it's so much further away than what it looks like.

#23 Green Mamba

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 1,659 posts
  • LocationNC,United States

Posted 30 December 2014 - 07:51 AM

Less work for Devs

#24 Vandul

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,342 posts
  • LocationYork, New

Posted 30 December 2014 - 08:22 AM

Blue is for winners silly.

#25 vettie

• The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 1,620 posts
  • LocationThe Good Ole South

Posted 30 December 2014 - 08:24 AM

LOL, I find this thread funny. I am pretty sure that many have wondered the same thing. Guys on comms talk about it too.

The TRUE answer is when they were designing the map, BLUE paints were on a 50% off MC sale and IGP MADE PGI use the paints that were on sale to keep expense down, duh...

#26 blood4blood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 527 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 30 December 2014 - 09:15 AM

Why are they blue? Don't care...but the stuff about scale is interesting.

Abrams specs from Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1_Abrams):
Weight M1: 60 short tons (54 long tons; 54 t)[5]
M1A1: 63 short tons (56 long tons; 57 t)[5]
M1A2: 68 short tons (61 long tons; 62 t) Length Gun forward: 32.04 ft (9.77 m)[6]
Hull length: 26.02 ft (7.93 m) Width 12 ft (3.66 m)[6] Height 8 ft (2.44 m)[6] Crew 4 (commander, gunner, loader, driver)

For comparison, I checked out the Dodge Ram dimensions (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Ram) - most of the current generation run about 5.5-7.5 meters long (depends which model, cab, and bed length). Most Battlemech charts and estimates I've seen put a short mech like a Nova at around 8-9 meters, and a tall assault at 13-14 meters. So the shortest mechs are just a bit taller than the biggest pickup trucks are long, and the tallest assault mechs would be about as tall as 2 crew-cab long-bed pickups, or 3 regular cab short beds, stacked lengthwise.

Here's an interesting page on building heights: http://www.ctbuh.org...US/Default.aspx

Pretty much any city with 10-story or higher buildings would offer tons of cover for mechs of every size.

Yeah, scale in MWO is completely out-of-whack.

#27 Fetladral

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 525 posts
  • LocationAsgard

Posted 30 December 2014 - 09:38 AM

scale wise I liked the Heavy Gear stuff way better.

#28 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 30 December 2014 - 09:40 AM

Clearly this planet reside's within Steiner space= most obvious answer ever.

#29 -Vompo-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 532 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 30 December 2014 - 09:41 AM

PGI drop everything! Stop this blue car madness!

The community deserves more nonblue cars!

#30 Brody319

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 10:21 AM

They could add sprite humans like an old Doom engine game and just have crunching noises when you step on them.

#31 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 10:39 AM

View PostSuko, on 29 December 2014 - 08:06 PM, said:

Were they unable to sell all the blue models on the prime worlds, so they shipped them off to the backwaters to get rid of'em?

Did the last dropship to enter the system have an overabundance of blue paint?

Inquiring minds want to know the truth!

People in Crimson Straights are desperate to get non crimson colors in their cars. They just sell better there.

#32 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 11:04 AM

"Any customer can have a car painted any colour that he wants so long as it is black." - Henry Ford

#33 DjPush

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 12:20 PM

Blue is the default color. Nobody at PGI wants to spend 75MC or 3 million Cbils to paint the cars with anything else.

#34 Cion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 750 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 12:30 PM

View Postblood4blood, on 30 December 2014 - 09:15 AM, said:

M1A2: 68 short tons (61 long tons; 62 t) Length Gun forward: 32.04 ft (9.77 m)[6]
Hull length: 26.02 ft (7.93 m) Width 12 ft (3.66 m)[6] Height 8 ft (2.44 m)[6] Crew 4 (commander, gunner, loader, driver)

For comparison, I checked out the Dodge Ram dimensions (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Ram) - most of the current generation run about 5.5-7.5 meters long (depends which model, cab, and bed length). Most Battlemech charts and estimates I've seen put a short mech like a Nova at around 8-9 meters, and a tall assault at 13-14 meters. So the shortest mechs are just a bit taller than the biggest pickup trucks are long, and the tallest assault mechs would be about as tall as 2 crew-cab long-bed pickups, or 3 regular cab short beds, stacked lengthwise.

Here's an interesting page on building heights: http://www.ctbuh.org...US/Default.aspx

Pretty much any city with 10-story or higher buildings would offer tons of cover for mechs of every size.

Fascinating. It'd be interesting to play to scale one day.

#35 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 30 December 2014 - 03:32 PM

View PostLordBraxton, on 30 December 2014 - 06:35 AM, said:

Battletech\MW has a tendancy to overscale

I'm almost exactly 2 meters tall. Stack 5 or 6 of me and you have a medium mech. That's only slightly taller than a telephone pole.

I prefer my mechs small.

An m1abrams is ~60 tons, so these mechs, being denser with less crew space, should really be no larger than modern vehicles.

I more or less agree with you, however the armor and skeletal metals are lighter than modern (going geek/nerd/BT fan on you here, sorry) so a direct comparison with a modern MBT isn't very accurate. In one novel they list the Victor as "the" tallest mech at 14m while most of them stand around 10m, lights would be ~8m. In MWO though, the height (or lack thereof) of lights is essential.

View Postblood4blood, on 30 December 2014 - 09:15 AM, said:

Love this....

#36 AlphaToaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 30 December 2014 - 03:36 PM

The cars actually dynamically change colors based on which team you're on.....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users