21 replies to this topic

#1 War Kitten

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 103 posts
  • LocationUnder a Cat

Posted 29 December 2014 - 08:21 PM

Greetings All,

Was just invited to join a unit, and have just downloaded teamspeak 3 (64 bit), and I was wondering is there a certain type of headset w/mic I need or can I get a cheapo one at Rad Snack (Radio Shack) or Amazon? I have to look at my sound card to see if I can plug it into the slot where I put my normal headphones or into the usb slot, but is a certain one needed? Price might be a concern.

Thank you all for your help.

War Kitten

"I need some fresh litter for my box, were is the enemy?"

#2 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 29 December 2014 - 09:49 PM

Any one will do, but generally, you get what you pay for. Having said that, I know some people who use really, really inexpensive desktop mics and cheapo headphones.

#3 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 12:20 AM

I don't even use a headset, I use a ground placed microphone. :lol:

Whatever suits you the best and whatever that your unit desires (don't spend 100+ dollars of any kind though, that's not quite worth considering I spent a buck on it during Black Friday ;).)

#4 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 30 December 2014 - 03:32 AM

as the others have said any equipment will do, however a good set of headphones or headset is a worthwhile investment. I initially used a £5 headset, when I upgraded to a second hand Sennheiser 350 (after trying the model around a friends) that made a huge difference

#5 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 30 December 2014 - 05:39 AM

I recommend a headset over a stick mic. The experience for your teammates is immensely better.

You truly get what you pay for here. Cheap will do, but the difference is apparent. I had a Razer Carcharias and it was OK, but the sound wasn't as good as I wanted, so I switched to a good pair of stereo headphones I had and bought an AntLion ModMic (highly recommended product). Yeah, that's a $200+ rig. No regrets.

Edited by Terciel1976, 30 December 2014 - 05:40 AM.

#6 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 05:58 AM

View PostTerciel1976, on 30 December 2014 - 05:39 AM, said:

I recommend a headset over a stick mic. The experience for your teammates is immensely better.

as mentioned, a table top microphone and speakers is not great for your teammates, as you will keep hearing things like "incoming missiles" and "critical damage", from the teammate, your and teammates voices will echo when the Mike picks up the sound from the speakers, you can instantly tell if someone has a desktop mic and speakers as opposed to a headset (especially as those people rarely seem to use push to talk).

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 30 December 2014 - 05:59 AM.

#7 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 06:04 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 30 December 2014 - 05:58 AM, said:

as mentioned, a table top microphone and speakers is not great for your teammates, as you will keep hearing things like "incoming missiles" and "critical damage", from the teammate, your and teammates voices will echo when the Mike picks up the sound from the speakers, you can instantly tell if someone has a desktop mic and speakers as opposed to a headset (especially as those people rarely seem to use push to talk).

Yep. That's the point to emphasize: You don't need an uber-rig, but try to find the $ for a headset at least.

If you play a lot, a good one does become more worthwhile for your comfort, though. I have mine on a couple hours a day. Comfy over-ear phones are a must for me.

Edited by Terciel1976, 30 December 2014 - 06:06 AM.

#8 Shlkt

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 319 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 07:11 AM

Comfortable headphones are money well spent. I recommend a good pair of open back, circumaural headphones. They are best for lengthy sessions. Right now I'm using Sennheiser HD 555's, and I like them so much that I bought a second pair just for music at the office.

A desktop mic is fine as long as you're using headphones and your gaming machine is in a private room. If living space is tight (or filled with noisy children) then you'll want a headset instead.

#9 Unnatural Growth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 09:41 AM

I'm just using a cheap Logitech stereo headset with mic. It's good enough for my purposes. Also, enable "push to talk" on TeamSpeak and bind it to a key you can get to, but is not used in your MWO keybindings. It is much nicer for all in your chat group if they don't have to hear random noises in the background. If you're using a desktop mic, just make sure it's close enough to your mouth so that your team mates can actually hear what you're saying. Sometimes it's hard to hear if you're also hearing incoming fire, launching missiles or firing ballistic weapons.

#10 luigi256

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 30 December 2014 - 09:46 AM

I use a desktop mic and headphones so they don't get the noise from speakers. I also use push to talk so they won't hear any surrounding noises (cat, wind, dog, etc)

#11 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 30 December 2014 - 09:54 AM

Corsair Vengeance 1500 for the win, boys and girls. Very comfy, good quality product that lasts, 7.1 surround sound, and all for about $50. Best cost-to-performance headset on the market, IMO.

Edited by DEMAX51, 30 December 2014 - 09:55 AM.

#12 Podex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 657 posts
  • LocationThe soup kitchen in your Prius

Posted 30 December 2014 - 10:16 AM

Comfort. Look at comfort. I had cheap headsets that were so uncomfortable that it would leave my ears sore for hours after playing. Thank goodness one of my rabbits ate the cord and forced me to buy a new pair. What I have now was expensive and sounds great, but would I buy another pair? No. Go the cheapest, most comfortable that you can find. You're not listening to classical music, you're listening to wub and dacka.

On this topic, what key does everyone have mapped for PTT?

Edited by Podex, 30 December 2014 - 10:18 AM.

#13 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 30 December 2014 - 10:24 AM

A full headset works best for not getting feedback or echo, so that helps everyone else on your TS.

I recommend a USB headset, because it offers more flexible options, such as being able to have voice come though the headset, and other sounds though your speakers, and the USB connections seem to be a bit sturdier and more reliable (no possible connection shorts, either it will work, or it won't.

#14 RazorbeastFXK3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 30 December 2014 - 10:39 AM

I don't think teamspeak3 discriminates between using headsets or monitor/webcam mounted microphones. Using headsets is just easier 'cause you don't have to worry about feedback from the speakers I guess even though there's a setting to control that somewhere.

There should be a microphone and a headset jack in the back of your computer. Some computers have them in the front.
[EDIT]I bought a Logitech G230 headset, was a decent price with a feature to turn the microphone piece on or off using a switch on the cord. The switch also has a clip to secure it to the collar of your shirt so the entire weight of the cord doesn't pull on the headset.[/edit]

View PostWar Kitten, on 29 December 2014 - 08:21 PM, said:

Greetings All,

Was just invited to join a unit, and have just downloaded teamspeak 3 (64 bit), and I was wondering is there a certain type of headset w/mic I need or can I get a cheapo one at Rad Snack (Radio Shack) or Amazon? I have to look at my sound card to see if I can plug it into the slot where I put my normal headphones or into the usb slot, but is a certain one needed? Price might be a concern.

Thank you all for your help.

War Kitten

"I need some fresh litter for my box, were is the enemy?"

Edited by RazorbeastFXK3, 30 December 2014 - 10:43 AM.

#15 zudukai

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 10:42 AM

View Postluigi256, on 30 December 2014 - 09:46 AM, said:

I use a desktop mic and headphones so they don't get the noise from speakers. I also use push to talk so they won't hear any surrounding noises (cat, wind, dog, etc)

this exactly, if you use a mic, you should use headphones and P.T.T. basically every time. (push to talk)

(i use a rockband mic, in a cup, mic is in a sock so if i were to bang the table no audio is transmitted. haha)

#16 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 10:47 AM

So I mentioned this above but was on phone so linking was nigh impossible: ModMic by AntLion. They're a small company, but it's a unique and high quality product. If you have a nice pair of stereo headphones you like, well worth the investment, IMO. I have the 4.0 and have been delighted with it.

#17 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 12:36 PM

View PostPodex, on 30 December 2014 - 10:16 AM, said:

On this topic, what key does everyone have mapped for PTT?

I use Alt for push to talk, Alt is also mapped to my 6th mouse button

#18 War Kitten

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 103 posts
  • LocationUnder a Cat

Posted 30 December 2014 - 02:37 PM

Thank you all for your helpful advice...the wife and I will check the local Radio Shack tomorrow, if not there she will order from amazon...hopefully I will have it soon. I had heard that even if I don't have a mic yet I can still hear thru my speakers others w/teamspeak, is the true?

Thank you again...

War Kitten
"With shell & missile & laser, we shall overcome our foes of the day, for we, are the Mountain Wolf Renegades!"

#19 Podex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 657 posts
  • LocationThe soup kitchen in your Prius

Posted 30 December 2014 - 02:46 PM

Yep, you can still hear. They should sell cheap headphones with a mic, though.

#20 RazorbeastFXK3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 30 December 2014 - 04:10 PM

This is the one I got but they do have cheaper ones with 2 speakers and an attached microphone. http://www.bestbuy.c...6&skuId=8785701

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users