Building Trial 'mechs To New Quirks (Or Vice Versa)

Balance Loadout BattleMechs

5 replies to this topic

#1 GLIZZY GULPER

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 140 posts
  • LocationN/A

Posted 29 December 2014 - 08:59 PM

Now that the quirk system is into play, I feel that we should revamp the line-up of trial 'Mechs to fit more in line with the added quirks or vice versa (or just revamp the new player experience entirely) so that new players don't get dunked on even harder when IS 'Mechs are stomping around built entirely on quirks while the newbies get none or only half of the benefits of a 'Mech's quirks.

Case and point, the BJ-1 champion. It gets 12.5% extra cooldown and range on the AC/2, but this bonus goes completely ignored and instead you get the AC/20 loadout. It's good, but the Arrow gets AC/20 quirks and the BJ-1 has AC/2 quirks that end up ignored. The Stalker 3F mounts LRM 15s but has LRM 10 quirks. The CN9-A champion fails to utilize the AC/10 quirks that it gets, and the FS9-S gets pulse heat generation but mounts mediums instead. The Dragon gets Gauss and Larges but has UAC/5 quirks. The HGN-733C gets AC/20 boosts but has an AC/10.

One thing to keep in mind is the fact that some 'mechs, like the HGN-733C, are special in that they can mount a gun other variants of that class can't (AC/20 in this case, Heavy Metal I think can do it but it's a Hero.), and in that case an attempt to preserve it's specialty should be at least attempted.

Yes, I understand diversity of loadouts should be a thing, but with the harsh nature of the game to new players (big clan boats, pilot skill trees, modules, custom loadouts, etc) the trial 'Mechs need to utilize quirks to their maximum potential in order to help ease along new players.

Also, please remove the crappy stock build Clan trials like the Nova and Kit Fox. They're kind of...yeah.

EDIT: Added HGN-733C AC/10 to AC/20 quirk disparity.

Edited by Tal Ravis, 29 December 2014 - 09:25 PM.

#2 Burktross

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 29 December 2014 - 09:01 PM

+Yes

It will also give even vets good insight on what PGI has in mind for each mech.

#3 DaZur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 29 December 2014 - 09:06 PM

In principle I agree and like the idea... But in practice application I suspect if the trials were overtly optimized there would be a far less incentive for a player to ultimately grind out their own mech or even less appealing to PGI, open their wallet and invest in the game.

One of those great ideas that I fear is built on a slippery slope...

#4 luxebo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 09:16 PM

View PostTal Ravis, on 29 December 2014 - 08:59 PM, said:

Case and point, the BJ-1 champion. It gets 12.5% extra cooldown and range on the AC/2, but this bonus goes completely ignored and instead you get the AC/20 loadout. It's good, but the Arrow gets AC/20 quirks and the BJ-1 has AC/2 quirks that end up ignored. The Stalker 3F mounts LRM 15s but has LRM 10 quirks. The CN9-A champion fails to utilize the AC/10 quirks that it gets, and the FS9-S gets pulse heat generation but mounts mediums instead. The Dragon gets Gauss and Larges but has UAC/5 quirks.

Also, please remove the crappy stock build Clan trials like the Nova and Kit Fox. They're kind of...yeah.

100% Agreed and that was my last complaint of CW, not good trial builds. Still usable, but not as good anymore. BJ-1(C) was actually a good build, but quirks on AC2s were for sure not so satisfying on that BJ. Centurion is also another good build and originally had good stuff. But I think they should just switch to ASRM18 + 2 MLs. DRG once again has a good build. Now on the other hand, there are some things that don't fit (ahem AS7-RS Champ).

I mean who is willing to use the Stalker trial right now? Difficult to say the least...

#5 GLIZZY GULPER

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 140 posts
  • LocationN/A

Posted 29 December 2014 - 09:20 PM

View PostDaZur, on 29 December 2014 - 09:06 PM, said:

In principle I agree and like the idea... But in practice application I suspect if the trials were overtly optimized there would be a far less incentive for a player to ultimately grind out their own mech or even less appealing to PGI, open their wallet and invest in the game.

One of those great ideas that I fear is built on a slippery slope...

Skill trees require you to own a mech with 2 other variants in order to fully maximize it's potential, which means that the new player will inevitably grind out and buy his own 'mechs. Cadet Bonus is more than enough to set a player up to get a good light/medium/maybe heavy. Weapon cooldown modules help a lot more now than ever (say 50% versus 62%) and you can't put those on trials. Additionally, some chassis come in enough variants (Stalker, Firestarter, Blackjack) that it covers quite a range of playstyles even with the linear quirk system, allowing new players to branch out and experience new things. A trial (or wide variety of trials) built to spec will allow the new player to grind out early easier, and lets them find a chassis that they like and would like to stick to. Additional new player tutorials and guides wouldn't hurt either (explaining the skill tree system, etc).

A player investing time and even money for heroes on chassis that they played and liked is much better for PGI than a player who plays a match, gets stomped, repeats the process, and then uninstalls the game.

EDIT: 1 am grammar, yay.

Edited by Tal Ravis, 30 December 2014 - 06:58 AM.

#6 DaZur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 29 December 2014 - 09:42 PM

View PostTal Ravis, on 29 December 2014 - 09:20 PM, said:

A player investing time and even money for heroes on chassis that they played and liked is much better than a player who plays a match, gets stomped, repeats the process, and then uninstalls the game is probably worse for PGI than one who is somewhat spoonfed at the start.

Valid points... I must be becoming a jaded old sot as I don't necessarily give this community enough credit sometimes.

I guess after a while of tip-toeing around the dog piles it's easy enough to miss the daisy's. :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users