#21 Jman5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 05:33 PM

View PostFupDup, on 30 December 2014 - 04:16 PM, said:

Damn you, I was going to post that. :angry:

Also, I'll add on that some mechs might get quirks to further make them harder to detect (i.e. Raven 3L harder to detect than the slow "battle" Ravens, even before ECM is counted in).

Yeah it's not a new idea, but if we repeat it enough maybe PGI will eventually see it.

#22 Dino Might

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 09:25 PM

Love the idea of varying radar ranges to detect mechs of different tonnage. Make it square root of tonnage times 100m equal to detection range. 100 toner detected at 1000. 20 toner detected at 450ish. Our scale down as desired.

Also love the idea of making lrms faster and more damaging, but have two modes.
1. Direct fire. Missiles travel to cursor at time of firing in standard arc.
2. Indirect (spotted). Missiles home in on nearest tag or narc indicator. Make less accurate and weaker tracking for narc.

Would make spotting have a significant role.

Edited by Dino Might, 30 December 2014 - 09:26 PM.

#23 Ghostbear1968

Rookie

• Galaxy Commander III
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 02:43 PM

View PostJman5, on 30 December 2014 - 10:22 AM, said:

Radar range should be dynamic based on mech tonnage. A light could get closer before being picked up while an assault would be picked up from farther away.

This would complement the concept of role warfare as lights could sneak in closer to scout out the enemy.

But then one should also be able to change his radar range to detect smaller mechs easyer, and to keep an overview when in closer combat.
But i would also love to see some different lrm types, like ant mech minefield, and if not for the LRM then maybe for the supporting Artillerie or Airstrike

#24 Sir Wulfrick

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 872 posts
  • LocationIn a warship, over your planet :-)

Posted 04 June 2015 - 03:19 PM

View PostRhaythe, on 30 December 2014 - 07:03 AM, said:

I consider spotting (and staying hidden) part of information warfare. Also narc'ing and tagging. But that's probably because I'm a light pilot and I try to feel important. :(

I say this as an assault pilot: by doing all that, you are important. If we had larger maps that encouraged actual reconnaissance, you'd be even more important. Good job though, information about the enemy helps the team to win, simple as that :)

#25 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 03:21 PM

detection range should be based on the size class of the mech

huge = 800m
large = 700m
medium = 600m
small = 500m
tiny = 400m

#26 Sergeant Random

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 462 posts
  • LocationPeriphery

Posted 04 June 2015 - 04:28 PM

View PostKhobai, on 04 June 2015 - 03:21 PM, said:

huge = 800m
large = 700m
medium = 600m
small = 500m
tiny = 400m

Something like this, but interacting with equipped sensors and modules.

Regular sensor - 100% detection radius
Noob sensor - 80% detection.
Sensor module - +20%
Advanced sensor - 140% radius.
BAP - +20%

Stuff stuff - make things interesting

#27 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 04 June 2015 - 06:26 PM

View PostKhobai, on 04 June 2015 - 03:21 PM, said:

huge = 800m
large = 700m
medium = 600m
small = 500m
tiny = 400m

But that would shaft mechs like the Grasshopper, Gargoyle, Quickdraw, Kit Fox, etc...

I favor a tonnage-based system because a mech's tonnage is one of the biggest factors that determines a mech's effectiveness.

#28 Jabilac

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 172 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ohio, USA

Posted 04 June 2015 - 06:38 PM

I'm surprised they haven't quirked radar detection thus far. Increasing ranges for 'spotting' mechs.

#29 Suko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 04 June 2015 - 07:55 PM

I always felt different chassis (and variants) could use some variation in radar range and detection speed. Is an assault a bit OP? Reduce that radar range or bump up the time it takes to get an enemy mech's readout. Is a mech sad and pathetic? Give it awesome sensor range! That'll make it the life of the party team!

This could also be useful for solving the whole "Medium mechs suck" thing. Give them a great sensor range or target acquisition time compared to the heavier class mechs. This makes them a bit more worthwhile and works with their (usually) fast speed profiles.

Edited by Suko, 04 June 2015 - 07:57 PM.

#30 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 June 2015 - 08:26 PM

information-warfare concepts

design pillars!!!

lol

Seriously though, the whole normalized radar thing reminds me of Star Trek Online where all the weapons have the same range for some stupid reason

Edited by Mechwarrior Buddah, 04 June 2015 - 08:27 PM.

#31 50 50

• 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 04 June 2015 - 08:44 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing mech modules tied in with more functionality for things like this.
Eg:
The Seismic module adds an extra feature to the radar.
An Improved Radar module should increase radar range and target info gathering speed.
An Advanced Radar module could allow different radar modes such as changing it to passive, or a focused arc to give even more range but it the doesn't give side or rear detection.

Or something like that.

The control we have over the various components of the mech is fairly straight forward.
Having some advanced control options beyond the basic options would add more 'simulation' to the game and build on the depth.
Nothing wrong with having a simple default setup, but increased control over various systems would allow more complex operation for those who want it.

#32 WazOfOz

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 177 posts
  • Locationnot the arse hole of the world, but I can see it from here

Posted 04 June 2015 - 09:13 PM

nar 800m sounds like a good generic number. unless you wanna give the clans some additional meterage because of their you beaut technology

#33 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 05 June 2015 - 03:16 AM

View Postmogs01gt, on 30 December 2014 - 05:59 AM, said:

Having the radar detect mechs that fired weapons will make everyone on this forum cry COD COD. Hell half the time it seems players pay no attention to it. They just get tunnel vision on that one mech they keep spreading damage all over.

Wait.
Why do you get radar in CoD? I thought you were a soldier with a rifle in that game? :huh:

View PostWazOfOz, on 04 June 2015 - 09:13 PM, said:

nar 800m sounds like a good generic number. unless you wanna give the clans some additional meterage because of their you beaut technology

800 Meters is a good range... when the enemy had a range of 660 meters+

#34 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 05 June 2015 - 03:37 AM

View Posto0Marduk0o, on 30 December 2014 - 04:12 PM, said:

Different radar settings are too difficult for most of our playerbase. Not going to happen.

This is the truth.

Can't get players to target enemy, can't get ECM to counter, can't get simple teamwork unless with Unit.

I would just be happy if I could zoom in/out with the radar map.

#35 EvilCow

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 04:02 AM

In previous games/mods all what has been suggested here has been implemented, even more:

I would like to see:
- Passive/active (I cant believe we don't have this in MWO).
- ECM/BAP affecting detection range and lock time (no Jesus box mode).
- Radar range affected by target mass, for example: 600+modifiers+(target_weight*2). Modifiers are ECM, BAP, active/passive mode.
- Radar uncertainty on the last 30% of range (you could not have a solid detection, it could intermittent, you could also have some blips out of range).
- Immediate detection of jumping mechs even beyond maximum detection range (it is a f#@$ rocket, you could probably hear it from 10kM away). Then give JJs again their juice, now we have hover jets not jump jets.
- Triangle or other tagging only on the targeted mech. Make the multiple red triangles a feature of the targeting computer and command console. Friendlies would keep the blue/green triangle for obvious reasons.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users