Extreme Maps...

15 replies to this topic

Poll: Oxygen Free & Underwater maps (12 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you enjoy the challenges of these extreme maps?

1. Hell yes!!! (7 votes [58.33%])

Percentage of vote: 58.33%

2. OMG NO! (5 votes [41.67%])

Percentage of vote: 41.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Undercover Brother

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 323 posts
  • LocationThe Hood

Posted 10 October 2015 - 02:23 PM

Life support systems in Mech cockpits exist to keep pilots alive in hostile conditions. These include having mechs be submerged, in toxic environments, in vacuums, and in extreme heat and cold. You've given us maps in subzero temps, extreme heat, and in poisoned atmospheric conditions like Caustic Valley. How about maps where we're fully submerged, or in oxygen free zones?

Thsee conditions would change the entire way people play the game, giving individuals and.teams something new and exciting.

Submerged maps may allow faster heat dissipation, but all projectile weapons and missiles would be obsolete, PPCs may damage your own mech when discharged, jump jets would be seriously hampered, and fast mechs would be seriously slowed. A whole new level of patience would have to be observed. Even if only a portion of a map with some strategic value underwater could really shake things up.

Maps created in the vacuum of space, and truly limited gravity, would also be a boon. Fast mechs could become suicidal death machines, crashing into anything and everything, due to low gravity and lack of drag. Assaults could bound across the landscape at an unheard of, 150kph! Jump jets could blast you clear out into space. Missiles, lacking oxygen in the surrounding atmosphere, wouldn't have the explosive effect they normally would, limiting their damage. Projectile weapons would hit much harder, and at increased range, lacking drag and gravity...Dual AC/20s or Dual Guass, could literally tear an Atlas in half! To top it all off, there's a 500°c heat difference between daylight and night. Imagine a planet or moon that doesn't rotate, and imagine fighting across that day/night plane. One second, you're roasting, and the next, you can alpha 4 ERLLASER without any problems.

#2 Vetal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 500 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 10 October 2015 - 04:23 PM

This game contains too much extreme maps. We want some ordinary. Because it is strange that people have choosen 100 degree planet with no sun like terra therma or caustic valley for their life. In books such planets were very rare, and people lived there only because of some resources, such as hesperus2 or sirius. And most battles were in ordinary circumstances. But "ordinary" maps are only river city and canyon. That is frustrating and weird. Maybe maps should provoke tactics but not emphasize environment circumstances? Because nowadays the only difference is how many times your energy weapon can shoot. And every map has the only place to fight. The only interesting extreme map is hpg, because every time people play it different.
For example several epic maps from Gray Death Legion, such as Regus university with mech plant. As i remember clans captured this world afterwards. It was situated in Rasalhague. Or sarna, where davion beat liao. Real forest maps not just giant seqoias, such as Northwind with the Tara capital. E t c. If you want some extreme circumstances several planets have deserts on the surface and several are ocean. For example if some mech fall in ocean it will die, because it is too deep.
I saw that designers had already rebuilt caustic valley in order to add some tactics and avoid nascar, and result is great! We need ordinary maps maybe on the farm planets. And of course solaris mode with arenas and maybe leagues for fans of stats and "clans" (don't mix with real clans).
And of course where are union drophips?) they are such a signature piece of battletech as warhammer and marauder.

Edited by Vetal, 10 October 2015 - 04:54 PM.

#3 Vetal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 500 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 10 October 2015 - 04:37 PM

It'd be much better if searchlights were implemented for 600meters range with narrow beam.

Edited by Vetal, 10 October 2015 - 04:38 PM.

#4 rolly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 995 posts
  • LocationDown the street from the MWO server

Posted 10 October 2015 - 06:02 PM

I'm all for different maps and different environs. This is what makes Battletech and MW what it is, the ability and challenge to fight in extreme environs that separates it from any other shooter. We already have volcanic and sulfuric and even lunar, everything isn't a far stretch.

#5 Spleenslitta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 11 October 2015 - 01:49 AM

I'm for the idea of extreme maps just not that extreme. MWO is not a realistic game and so all our weapons should have equal damage on all maps.
No gravity should just mean mechs with JJ's can jump higher. I'm ok with cold/hot maps though. Just not so extreme that you can constantly fire 4 ER LL without worrying about heat.

#6 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 12 October 2015 - 05:12 AM

I agree with OP about the submerged maps.

Adding the effects of water would mess with almost evey aspect of a mech. I remember a submerged mission from Ghost Bear Legacy.. you had to pilot a specialy modified mech with torpedos, and all other weapons preety much sucked.

Water distorts and diffuses lasers. It slows down projectile weapons. It makes ordinary surface2surface missles inoperable. It provides increased drag to slow mechs down. And PPC's would probably be less effective too.

So playing in a sunken facility with some above water and mostly underwater areas would be REALLY fun.

I can imagine a multiple island map with deep sea in between, or perhapse a partially submerged naval yard, mechworks, or supply cash.

Also, Vetal is also right.. we have alot of "alien" maps, and very few "conventional" ones.. A few forrest, desert, arctic or urban maps would be a nice addition.

The options are limitless..

#7 rolly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 995 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 06:46 AM

Playing in a sand storm would not be a far stretch either - Ie. The battle of Great Gash on Twycross. Here LRM's and even SRMS would have high wind to contend with. Targeting problems, even near zero visibility at times.

#8 Makenzie71

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 938 posts
  • Location"I don't like your loadout...you must have no idea what you're doing." ~This forum

Posted 12 October 2015 - 09:49 AM

One time in Viridian Bog after being legged I was able to jump jet into a tree and power down. The match went badly and I was shortly the only remaining player. I then provided my coordinates over global chat and waited for the baddies. The go right next to me, I power up, alpha, shut down. I got three of them that way until I think someone higher than me actually saw me fire and alerted the baddies of my specific location. Then I was clobbered. But I did a tremendous amount of damage from a location I have never seen anyone else use.

I don't know about more extreme locations, but locations that offer us something interesting like the trees in the bog would be nice.

#9 Vetal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 500 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 12 October 2015 - 11:31 AM

I would like to play map of the Star League storage on Helm, where Carlyle found treasure. It is a giant territory underground with space approximately like all hpg map has. It'd be very dynamic and fun.

#10 cSand

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 12 October 2015 - 11:58 AM

Yes an underground map would be awesome

#11 BLOOD WOLF

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 12 October 2015 - 12:53 PM

Environmental factors would be nice.

#12 Serpentbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 485 posts
  • LocationVanvikan, Norway

Posted 12 October 2015 - 01:16 PM

Huge green planes and rolling hills. Nit just steap rocks, trenches and huge mountains. And much larger maps, and a redo of the gameplay also. And........

#13 Makenzie71

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 938 posts
  • Location"I don't like your loadout...you must have no idea what you're doing." ~This forum

Posted 12 October 2015 - 01:27 PM

What I can tell you with absolutely no doubt whatsoever is that map size is utterly irrelevant. Alpine, as best I can tell, is the largest map available with sprawling hills, plains, etc and the fight happens on the damn mountain. The fact that you all know very well which mountain is testament to this. Next, if I'm not mistaken, Caustic Valley is much smaller than it was before and the effect has been minimal on the fight.

Content matters, size does not. The only way a huge map would be interesting is if it were urban...something the size of Houston or Chicago or New York.

Edited by Makenzie71, 12 October 2015 - 02:50 PM.

#14 rolly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 995 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 02:45 PM

View PostcSand, on 12 October 2015 - 11:58 AM, said:

Yes an underground map would be awesome

Yeah where you can shoot at stalagmites and stalagtites and they can potentially damage mechs. :P

View PostSerpentbane, on 12 October 2015 - 01:16 PM, said:

Huge green planes and rolling hills. Nit just steap rocks, trenches and huge mountains. And much larger maps, and a redo of the gameplay also. And........

Ie. the Battle of Kursk with mechs.

#15 Serpentbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 485 posts
  • LocationVanvikan, Norway

Posted 15 October 2015 - 06:41 AM

View PostMakenzie71, on 12 October 2015 - 01:27 PM, said:

What I can tell you with absolutely no doubt whatsoever is that map size is utterly irrelevant. Alpine, as best I can tell, is the largest map available with sprawling hills, plains, etc and the fight happens on the damn mountain. The fact that you all know very well which mountain is testament to this. Next, if I'm not mistaken, Caustic Valley is much smaller than it was before and the effect has been minimal on the fight.

Content matters, size does not. The only way a huge map would be interesting is if it were urban...something the size of Houston or Chicago or New York.

Size alone is irrelevant, yes. But the game, in my opinion need to grow to get out of the arcade style shooter is has become.

My sugestion is a combination of Assault and Qonquest where you can capture and hold Landing Zones around the map, and that each player can drop several mechs to each battle. Also, the number of mechs each player can drop with should be based on tonnage and mech points, not a predefined number.

I've also done som thinking about how sensors could be used to front teamplay, together with more team based reward systems and objectives.

Read mor about my toughts in this thread.
http://mwomercs.com/...-down-the-road/

This is the MWO I'd like.

Edited by Serpentbane, 15 October 2015 - 06:43 AM.

#16 Vlad Striker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,414 posts
  • LocationOld Forest Colony

Posted 02 April 2016 - 11:55 AM

oxygen free zones

HPG manifold, Caustic.

Edited by Vlad Striker, 02 April 2016 - 11:55 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users