58 replies to this topic

#41 Burktross

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 03 January 2015 - 11:54 AM

View PostYokaiko, on 03 January 2015 - 11:50 AM, said:

Now if you are talking a pug team formed on a TS server that is another monster, even then you are better off in the public queue.

What differentiates that and a unit?

#42 Yokaiko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 12:01 PM

View PostBurktross, on 03 January 2015 - 11:54 AM, said:

Essentially nothing.

Have a reliable group to run with, that is about it.

#43 Burktross

• Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 12:04 PM

View PostYokaiko, on 03 January 2015 - 12:01 PM, said:

Essentially nothing.

Then why are you better off in the public queue?
With that logic no one is capable of being effective in CW.

#44 Bashfulsalamander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Locationnot looking at forums

Posted 03 January 2015 - 12:06 PM

View PostYokaiko, on 03 January 2015 - 12:01 PM, said:

Essentially nothing.

Not to mention in a unit you learn each others play style, which builds coherency. Tactics are also planned and used more frequently in units rather then a random team in TS just using universal fight plans.

#45 Yokaiko

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 12:06 PM

View PostBurktross, on 03 January 2015 - 12:04 PM, said:

Then why are you better off in the public queue?
With that logic no one is capable of being effective in CW.

I didn't say that, I said that you are better off in the public queue, because more games faster = more money.

Right now the only real reward for CW is the role players and people that like politics, neither of which I partake in , YMMV/.

#46 Burktross

• Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 12:16 PM

View PostYokaiko, on 03 January 2015 - 12:06 PM, said:

I didn't say that, I said that you are better off in the public queue, because more games faster = more money.

Ah, sorry. Misunderstood.

View PostYokaiko, on 03 January 2015 - 12:06 PM, said:

Right now the only real reward for CW is the role players and people that like politics, neither of which I partake in , YMMV/.

Delicious virtual politics.

#47 Bashfulsalamander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Locationnot looking at forums

Posted 03 January 2015 - 12:18 PM

On top of what i already said Some one has to take control of the team, which sometimes does not happen when in a random team you either get no cheifs or to many cheifs

#48 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 03 January 2015 - 12:40 PM

View PostYokaiko, on 03 January 2015 - 11:41 AM, said:

Not sure I would hold your breath, the TWO YEAR beta should be proof there.
Since February 4th of last year, and since PGI left IGP behind, things have been going faster, being released more cleanly and with a LOT less monetization of everything under than sun than before. Still, you're right, I'm not holding my breath... the things that I would like to see in this game are so maligned by those who couldn't give two craps about the BattleTech universe, and of course PGI has to listen to them because, despite all statements to the contrary, not only are PGI not as flush with cash as I'm sure they would like to be, but they are a business and they have to make money in order to survive. Despite all of my catterwalling about the monetization of almost everything in the game, even I understand that if I don't support PGI as an individual, and more people also fail to support them, they're not likely to remain solvent very long. So, if development is slowing, again, apart from the fact that we're at book-ends for the year, it might be a monetary issue.

View PostBashfulsalamander, on 03 January 2015 - 11:53 AM, said:

I think CW has alot of potential...
So do I, and I think it would have a lot more potential, and a lot more veterans of the game -which, really, is who you want in this game ever so much more than twitch gamers who couldn't care less about this game- would return, if PGI would actually follow the game books that are the basis of the game they've expressed they want to build. Instead, they're catering to the twitch gamers and the glory hounds who couldn't care less, and that's not good for this game.

But 12 vs 12..... oh man soooo much fun well worth the time. Still room for improvement though.
Of the bloody few games of CW I have played in, I can about half-agree with you. It's really hard to build a unit that is cohesive and weaponized when so bloody few folks have any manner of interest in fighting cohesively, or weaponized.

View PostBurktross, on 03 January 2015 - 11:54 AM, said:

Training, coordination, shorter times between actions requiring reactive orders and, further, between reactive orders and actions being taken. You get to know one another in a unit; you don't in PUGs; there is a humongous difference.

#49 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 12:59 PM

View PostBashfulsalamander, on 03 January 2015 - 10:47 AM, said:

Lets see you argue the fact that CW is made for unit warfare.

I hope you and the other vastly better people who are in 12 man groups enjoy each others company. Alot.

#50 Yokaiko

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 01:00 PM

View PostTLBFestus, on 03 January 2015 - 12:59 PM, said:

I hope you and the other vastly better people who are in 12 man groups enjoy each others company. Alot.

There is no barrier to entry there.

Christ you guys act like its the pinacle of mount tryhard.

#51 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 01:15 PM

View PostYokaiko, on 03 January 2015 - 01:00 PM, said:

There is no barrier to entry there.

Christ you guys act like its the pinacle of mount tryhard.

Just to be clear, I was speaking sarcastically. I'm constantly amused by the superior attitude that many "organized" players have that makes them think because they are in a group that they are naturally smarter and better equipped to comment on the game.

#52 Yokaiko

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 01:26 PM

View PostTLBFestus, on 03 January 2015 - 01:15 PM, said:

Just to be clear, I was speaking sarcastically. I'm constantly amused by the superior attitude that many "organized" players have that makes them think because they are in a group that they are naturally smarter and better equipped to comment on the game.

Watch pugs scatter across tourmaline....or just cower until zerged under, its pretty easy to take that approach.

A lot of it is lack of communication, which is easy enough to remedy, except "casuals"

#53 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 01:54 PM

View PostFlaming oblivion, on 03 January 2015 - 03:52 AM, said:

I'm going to make a granted guess that the pugs represent 75% + of the player base.

probably more than that...

#54 Yokaiko

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 01:54 PM

View PostBigbacon, on 03 January 2015 - 01:54 PM, said:

probably more than that...

After two years of making any sort of community a pain, surprise

#55 hybrid black

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 844 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 01:55 PM

View PostFlaming oblivion, on 03 January 2015 - 03:06 AM, said:

:ph34r: Stocking filler is over and the CW numbers for this time of day have gone down by 3/4

I'm shocked !

umm where is your proof? we have had insta ques vs players with no problems, i see them being the same or more players back in CW

#56 Mudhutwarrior

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 03 January 2015 - 02:15 PM

View PostBashfulsalamander, on 03 January 2015 - 10:57 AM, said:

lone wolves cant take a planet look that up. As for mercs They are a unit. Unless the lone wolves form a unit, which basically makes them mercs. Heck what am i saying? Lonewolves can not even play CW so you must be referring to skirmish, assault, and conquest, which is irrelevant.

Also you used the word MOST, so what factions did better?
secondly are you saying that all pugs are mercs and lone wolves and all are better then any unit player?

I am saying as on another thread lone wolfs should be able to operate without allegiance/contract to a faction. They should be their own faction in a sense. On a whole they did better than many factions in the challenge. With Voip we could be as competitive as the rest of you.
I doubt it would ever happen though as many of you would fear it.

And look it up if you want hard numbers. I'm not an librarian. They were in the middle when ever team guy said they would be dead last. I would have been satisfied if we ranked just above the bottom but that was not the case.

#57 Carcass23

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 327 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 12:04 AM

VOIP is not the ultimate be-all-end-all fix that will somehow level the playing field and make PUGS suddenly competition to those who spend time honing their units into a cohesive whole that moves and fights as one. It won't. I don't care how much the average PUG group is allowed to freely chatter and communicate, it won't stop the majority from being poorly trained. Experience will do that. Patience will certainly assist. I am not arguing that it won't help at all, but some seem to believe that VOIP is the ultimate answer to the woes of PUGlife. It isn't. A step perhaps, but CW will need more than VOIP to become viable to the self entitled masses.

#58 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,715 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 04 January 2015 - 12:22 AM

Soldier up and Enlist!
The Inner Sphere needs you.

Edited by Novakaine, 04 January 2015 - 12:22 AM.

#59 xe N on

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 January 2015 - 12:53 AM

People that argue about forcing PUGs into units apperently never had played any MMO before. Otherwise I can not explain their incompetent comments.

For just one moment, imagine shooters like Q3, CS, UT, TF1, TF2, Tribes 1-3, etc. with the restriction to only join a server if you are an 12 man premade group. Do you really think that anyone would have played these games?

I was playing in a competitive clan in e-sports in Q3. Playing solo on random server in a team game was normal even if you playing in a "premade" team. The same goes for Tribes 2 which I also played quite much in a "premade".

Now imagine MMORPGs like UO, DAoC, WoW, Everquest, and so on with the same premise. "Sorry man, but you cant raid any dungeon without 12 of our own guild" - Oh, of course, you can start with less but then you get some random player from level 1 to 90 mixed in your team that might not even speak your language or disconnect shortly after.

What MWO does is random matchmaking. I said this in countless threads. Random matchmaking is not only bad, not only very bad it is just unspeakably bad and never worked well in any game I played.

What MWO does not provide but what even the cheapest asia grind MMO do is a LFG chat function or a LFG search engine. In terms of community management MWO is about at the level of ego shooter in 2000. You can form units and have a minimum of unit management functions.

But you lack any other community management function that is the standard of any MMO since more then 20 years.

I bet that if you had the option to actively look for players and form a premade group from PUGs that are experienced and willing to use Teamspeak, alot units' 12ers would tremble in fear.

Edited by xe N on, 04 January 2015 - 12:59 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users