4 replies to this topic

#1 990Dreams

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 03 January 2015 - 03:48 AM

Many of the returning veterans have always pointed out that their old builds get melted by any new Mech. A piece of advice:

First, do a few drop tests. See how the old thing holds up.
Second, figure out what speed and weapons you want. See what changes you can make to it. Try the trial Mechs. Get some ideas about what will and won't fit your playstyle.
Third, try to make a build that works.
If all else fails, you may have to part with your Gauss Rifle Spider 5K and trade it for a different build.

Also, when planning on a new Mech or build, make it on Smurfy's Mechlab first. It avoids wasting C-Bills. One of the best things you'll do in the long run is to find weapons you like. Then you'll be able to Smurfy a build to your personal strong points.

Edited by DavidHurricane, 03 January 2015 - 03:49 AM.

#2 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 03 January 2015 - 05:21 AM

metamechs.com

This helped me the most. Also, get familiar with the new mech quirks.

#3 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 03 January 2015 - 05:31 AM

Note: if ECM is a new thing to you, along with XL engines, UAC 5's, and the LBX 10. Then I suggest you should go forget everything you know about those ye old days and relearn everything besides the basic controls.

#4 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 January 2015 - 06:07 AM

Addendum: Ask around here. We'll help out, and I personally would be more than happy doctoring builds, and tailoring them to your play style and design.

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 06:22 AM

View PostNightshade24, on 03 January 2015 - 05:31 AM, said:

Note: if ECM is a new thing to you, along with XL engines, UAC 5's, and the LBX 10. Then I suggest you should go forget everything you know about those ye old days and relearn everything besides the basic controls.

XL engines weren't always here, it's true. But UAC/5s and LBX-10 has been around for most of closed beta, so almost anyone who would have quit and return would be familiar with them. Though their mechanics have changed drastically since I started (UAC/5 used to require a manual assortment of button pressing to unjam!)

I actually liked the manual unjam button pressing. Problem was it was always the same assortment of buttons and could be attacked in any order and thus, macro exploitable. Now if it had many different ways it needed to be solved or even fairly random... that'd be gone. But try unjamming in a fight... ain't gonna work.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users