Countering Is Ppc Spam, A Guide For Clan Players

44 replies to this topic

#1 Star Wolves Admin Account

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 01:30 PM

Update: Some of you seem to be having reading issues. This is not a "whine" thread but literally how we are having success in countering the mass ppc builds in my unit. Not everyone is versed in this type of play and it can be overwhelming when you first see it. If you want to go post in a whine thread about how you don't like whining find an actual whine thread noobs. :ph34r:

Yes, it can be done. My unit has been doing it a lot and its a real grind; I doubt it will work with PUGs but for team battles you can do it. Above all else, patience is the key, you have to hold up and make them come to you.

Here is how:

1) Hold the chokes and concave them. PPC fire is only overpowered enmasse. The thunderbolt in particular is perked out for surviving and can still hurt you with a volley but if you have a 5 on 1 advantage you will kill him before his friends can bring their fire to bear.

2) The thunderbolt is relatively slow; the strategy of holding the chokes works since you can out dps the blob of them individually; however, if you poke your head out you will die. Never ever, try to poke at them when they are bunched up; only when you catch one off guard take your pot shots.

3) Hold the gates or the corresponding chokes and fall back if they get a breach going to the next choke point.

4) When you get a number advantage of roughly 2 to 1 push forward and mop them up asap.

5) Use mechs like the warhawk with erlarge laser modules and max targeting computer if you want to outsnipe them at a great distance. Never stop moving.

With that said hold tight until the upcoming patch. Sorry IS guys but I see no way they don't nerf this since the previous PPC spam was always disastrous. Hopefully they perk some of your lasers so you can compete on the distance maps.

Happy hunting all.

Edited by Blueduck, 03 January 2015 - 02:47 PM.

#2 Xetelian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 01:32 PM

1. Have an advantage
2. Catch them off guard
3. Hold choke points
4. Have a number advantage
5. Bring warhawks.

Just another Tbolt hate thread when really we all know better.

#3 Brody319

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 01:34 PM

1. Go adders.
2. avoid ppc spam with speed
3. return PPC spam.

#4 Star Wolves Admin Account

• Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 01:34 PM

View PostXetelian, on 03 January 2015 - 01:32 PM, said:

1. Have an advantage
2. Catch them off guard
3. Hold choke points
5. Bring warhawks.

I could really careless since my unit is beating it; quite literally this is a guide on how to stop it as we've been having success dealing with it recently. Why don't you crawl back into your hole and complain about ccmplaining somewhere else. :ph34r:

Edited by Blueduck, 03 January 2015 - 01:35 PM.

#5 Darian DelFord

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 03 January 2015 - 01:36 PM

View PostXetelian, on 03 January 2015 - 01:32 PM, said:

1. Have an advantage
2. Catch them off guard
3. Hold choke points
5. Bring warhawks.

+1

#6 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 01:38 PM

View PostBlueduck, on 03 January 2015 - 01:34 PM, said:

I could really careless since my unit is beating it; quite literally this is a guide on how to stop it as we've been having success dealing with it recently. Why don't you crawl back into your hole and complain about ccmplaining somewhere else. :ph34r:

Don't make me whip out my unit.

#7 Star Wolves Admin Account

• Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 01:39 PM

View PostXetelian, on 03 January 2015 - 01:38 PM, said:

Don't make me whip out my unit.

You know you can get arrested for that on some forums.

#8 Axeman1

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 323 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 01:55 PM

My 4 er ppc warhawk is laughing at 3 ppc tbolts.

#9 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,932 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 03 January 2015 - 02:18 PM

View PostAxeman1, on 03 January 2015 - 01:55 PM, said:

My 4 er ppc warhawk is laughing at 3 ppc tbolts.

Yeah..that laughter usually ends with a melted face.!
A 4 ERPPCC warhawk can not even hope to be on a same level as the TDR-9S (both DPS-wise and hardpoint positions). Never.!.... you know... The only clan mech that was supposed to be a PPC boat besides the Badder.

#10 LordBraxton

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 02:26 PM

I'd start a thread on how to counter Twolves and stormcrows but....

In the hands of top tier players, the holy trinity cannot be countered.

Stop whining because you lost a match as Clams

#11 Star Wolves Admin Account

• Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 02:42 PM

View PostLordBraxton, on 03 January 2015 - 02:26 PM, said:

I'm not whining, this is a thread on how to counter it. Can you not read?

#12 Star Wolves Admin Account

• Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 02:47 PM

View PostNavid A1, on 03 January 2015 - 02:18 PM, said:

Yeah..that laughter usually ends with a melted face.!
A 4 ERPPCC warhawk can not even hope to be on a same level as the TDR-9S (both DPS-wise and hardpoint positions). Never.!.... you know... The only clan mech that was supposed to be a PPC boat besides the Badder.

Yeah, this post confused me. Why would I waste 20 tons to still be out ppc'd by the thunderbolt. Put on large lasers if you want to put down suppressing fire support at a great distance on boreal

#13 Wolfwood592

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 505 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationColumbia, SC

Posted 03 January 2015 - 04:43 PM

Wait wait let me get this right.

Are you actually suggesting to counter an overly quirked mech with tactics and better piloting?

You aren't on the NERF IT into the ground clan crowd?

I 100% commend you and your efforts. Good post, but for the record, the TDR does need to be drawn back.

#14 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 03 January 2015 - 05:12 PM

Calling them clams is Shellfish

#15 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 04 January 2015 - 08:19 AM

Perfect example of the current ridiculous double standard. Does not even bother to read the post. Any mention of Clan OP is greeted with cheers, while any examples of overpowered or overbuffed IS is derided into the dirt because clearly the Clan mechs are OP. How dare you say otherwise? What are you, a child molester crying that you are the victim? Gawd!

A problem is a problem is a problem. Period. Unfortunately, that particular TDR and (I would strongly argue) the KCG are over quirked at the moment. Does this negate any problems, real or imagined, in the holy trinity of the Clan mechs? No. But a problem is a problem, and should not exist if it can be fixed.

Instead of trying to silence anyone who calls a spade a spade, the IS players should be trying to bring the IS mechs that are lacking up to a more even level of usefulness instead of clinging to the one trick pony that is dominating the CW drop decks at the moment, while bringing the problem mechs down to a more appropriate level so that all IS mechs are more or less equally solid. You are not the Inquisition. Use your head. Use your logic. Stop clinging to asinine emotional knee jerk reactions.

Said to a web page in the internet where it was promptly ignored.

Meanwhile, the Clans have three mechs that are extremely arguably slightly over capable. That said, I still have no clue why IS scream bloody murder about the 75 ton TBR, when a 65 ton IS mech like a Jager can double gauss it all day, every day, with minimal exposure, and outright put it down like a sick dog. (Repeat - 75 vs 65 tons.) When the IS have clearly superior light mechs than can leg any mech in two seconds, move fast enough to scout and mess with hit detection, and are small enough to make leading result in bad weapon convergence. I find it hard to qualify the Clans being OP when the IS have superior autocannons, superior missiles, and colder and shorter burn duration lasers - at the expense of range, which is only a significant problem on Alpine or Boreal Vault, and a slight amount of damage in the lasers. I find it extremely hard to qualify it when anything outside of the DW, TBR, and SCR are largely considered crapolla, outside of the HBR, MDG, and WHK which are considered pretty fair and balanced overall.

And these are problems that should be addressed just like how the majority of the IS stable needs to be addressed. The goal should be making all the mechs more or less equal, not sustaining single chassis dominance over the entire lot of them.

However, until then, the OP is right. You need to counter an advantage with your brain if the mechanisms in the game do not have parity. Smart use of terrain to funnel and focus the enemy is an ideal way to do this. It is still no excuse for the state of quirks in the game, but at least it is a bandaid.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 04 January 2015 - 08:39 AM.

#16 EvilCow

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 08:37 AM

WOW, a wall of text and then it is just another 9S QQ thread.

#17 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 08:38 AM

View PostEvilCow, on 04 January 2015 - 08:37 AM, said:

Hey, a witty reply that tries to trivialize matters instead of taking the time to consider the big picture!

Original!

#18 LordBraxton

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 08:41 AM

View PostEvilCow, on 04 January 2015 - 08:37 AM, said:

yep, thanks

Not even going to reply to the clams

The issue is now that MWO has two distinct factions, the playerbase is divided down the middle in terms of perspective.

Clams will whine about the best IS mechs and vice versa, leading to unneeded nerfs across the board.

However, people have been complaining about the power levels of the holy trinity for ages, and we didnt see any significant nerfs. If PGI makes kneejerk nerf moves on the quirks I'll be upset.

View PostPariah Devalis, on 04 January 2015 - 08:38 AM, said:

Hey, a witty reply that tries to trivialize matters instead of taking the time to consider the big picture!

Original!

the big picture is that Clan players will QQ about quirks while we IS players will QQ about your holy trinity and your god tier XL engines.

lets all stop QQing before PGI nerfs everything to ****

#19 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 08:42 AM

View PostLordBraxton, on 04 January 2015 - 08:41 AM, said:

yep, thanks

Not even going to reply to the clams

The issue is now that MWO has two distinct factions, the playerbase is divided down the middle in terms of perspective.

Clams will whine about the best IS mechs and vice versa, leading to unneeded nerfs across the board.

However, people have been complaining about the power levels of the holy trinity for ages, and we didnt see any significant nerfs. If PGI makes kneejerk nerf moves on the quirks I'll be upset.

the big picture is that Clan players will QQ about quirks while we IS players will QQ about your holy trinity and your god tier XL engines.

lets all stop QQing before PGI nerfs everything to ****

If you had read it, I addressed that point. We need to focus on NORMALIZING the mechs. Both IS and Clan mechs. Having just one or two extremely good mech dominating the decks is bad design. This is currently the state in both tech trees.

#20 LordBraxton

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 08:46 AM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 04 January 2015 - 08:42 AM, said:

If you had read it, I addressed that point. We need to focus on NORMALIZING the mechs. Both IS and Clan mechs. Having just one or two extremely good mech dominating the decks is bad design. This is currently the state in both tech trees.

I did read it, but we disagree on the solution

My vote is to buff mechs like the Aws\Cpt-k2\VND etc. to have quirks as strong as the Thud9S for PPCs\ERPPCs etc.

Basically I'd rather see other IS mechs buffed rather than nerfing the 9S right away.

By all means buff the adder\summoner\nova a bit while youre at it but, I have a feeling we will see the IS quriks get nerfed around the same time the clan mechs get buffs... and the power gap will grow wider...

Clan mechs are worth so much $$$$ to PGI they have a business interest in keeping them OP

Edited by LordBraxton, 04 January 2015 - 08:47 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users