20 replies to this topic

#1 Cleverbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 274 posts
  • LocationFeel Good Inc.

Posted 31 December 2014 - 04:19 PM

I've got some cash to spare, and I'm eyeing the Resistance bundles... But I'm not entirely sure what I'll be getting for my money

Say, I want to get the Rage Pack, does that include both light and medium +30% C-Bills variants PLUS the 4 regular versions? Or do I get an option to choose which one I want?

Also, faction content, thats purely aesthetic stuff, right?

And lastly, would you consider the Resistance mechs to be worth it? The Enforcer looks pretty nifty, but I'm a terrible judge when it comes to mechs (I bought a 9M, that should say enough).

#2 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 04:31 PM

In the given example you've presented...

The Rage Pack would include a total of 6 mechs (2 chassis at 3 variants each). 1 variant of each chassis will have the 30% cbill bonus. The other 4 total variants will not. The two chassis being Panther and Enforcer.

The faction content as listed is literally free pattern and paint unlocks that come as a reward for getting it through this method.

If you want to pick and choose which chassis to get, there's the "A La Carte" option, where you can just get the heavy and assault (or whatever combination you want) instead, though it won't have as many of the incentives.

(Awesome 9M has its merits after quirks). Far as the mechs this depends entirely on how PGI makes them. Personally, I bought the Fire Pack to lock in the monthly rewards, and I'll upgrade as the mood strikes me (which I can do perfectly well when they release).

Edited by Koniving, 31 December 2014 - 04:31 PM.

#3 Cleverbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 274 posts
  • LocationFeel Good Inc.

Posted 31 December 2014 - 05:02 PM

View PostKoniving, on 31 December 2014 - 04:31 PM, said:

In the given example you've presented...

The Rage Pack would include a total of 6 mechs (2 chassis at 3 variants each). 1 variant of each chassis will have the 30% cbill bonus. The other 4 total variants will not. The two chassis being Panther and Enforcer.

The faction content as listed is literally free pattern and paint unlocks that come as a reward for getting it through this method.

If you want to pick and choose which chassis to get, there's the "A La Carte" option, where you can just get the heavy and assault (or whatever combination you want) instead, though it won't have as many of the incentives.

(Awesome 9M has its merits after quirks). Far as the mechs this depends entirely on how PGI makes them. Personally, I bought the Fire Pack to lock in the monthly rewards, and I'll upgrade as the mood strikes me (which I can do perfectly well when they release).

Awesome! Fantastic answer :)

I've also only just now realized that all the mechs listed arent even out yet, so nobody can tell me whether they're good or not...

The A La Carte option, does that just give the single +30% model, or all variants?

#4 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 31 December 2014 - 05:51 PM

It gives the Cbill bonus Mech and the two variants, but not the other pack bonuses. You just get the mechs and bays.

I'm of the opinion that the Mech packs are pretty much always worth buying at release to get the maximum bonuses, even if all you do is get the smallest pack and then sell the mechs you can. Between the colors, Mech bays, and premium time/early bird rewards, it's a good deal even without the Mechs. Then you upgrade later if the mechs turn out to be good :)

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 07:01 PM

View PostCleverbird, on 31 December 2014 - 05:02 PM, said:

The A La Carte option, does that just give the single +30% model, or all variants?

Winter covered this. One chassis, 3 variants (one with +30% cbills earnings bonus).

And yes I forgot to mention as I often take for granted, the mechpacks tend to be pre-release things. The Clan collection has been left open unusually long but one should expect those doors to close soon since they are all released. By the time Wave II's mechs are released for cbills I can almost guarantee the "Invasion" and "Wave II" will both close their doors for purchase.

The Resistance pack begins releasing the light and medium in February and the other two in March.

If the art and the size of the cockpit is any indication, the Enforcer will be skinny and between the heights of the Hunchback and the Centurion. But this is just speculation.

Panther I can almost guarantee will be approximately Firestarter size. Given their intended purpose of using PPCs, I expect to see some PPC perks on them.

#6 AdultPuppetShow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 165 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSpace Texas

Posted 31 December 2014 - 09:39 PM

I think the Resistance pack is going to be full of really decent support mechs, with the Grasshopper possibly being a good energy boat brawler depending on hitboxes. I think most of them will be fairly XL friendly as well.

If that sounds good to you then it's probably right up your alley.

#7 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 01 January 2015 - 01:28 AM

As for whether the mechs are any good or not, thay is always the downfall of a pre-order.

We can assume some measures will be taken to make them useful but actual placement (regardless of what method or criteria you use to compare mechs) will have to wait and see until they are released. Keep in mind sometimes even a small change can have a big impact on a mech, such as hitbox or quirks, so it's hard to tell how well they will perform on the battlefield.

Pre-order packs, especially when bought as a pack (and not a la carte) tend to come with some pretty big bonuses thrown in and are a good way to quickly fill out a stable of mechs plus customization items plus premium time at a decent value, but unfortunately the Resistance pack is still pretty far away.

#8 Cleverbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 274 posts
  • LocationFeel Good Inc.

Posted 05 January 2015 - 11:47 AM

Hey, me again... A last question about the rewards listed

It says that if I buy a pack before the 31st, I get a standing item, but do I also get all the other listed rewards after that? Such as the mounted item and additional mechbay?

I think its safe to say that the premium time doesnt stack like that.

#9 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:12 PM

yes, you get all the rewards listed for after your purchase date.

so if you purchase any pack before the end of January (note I do not think this includes a al carte), on top of the pack contents, you will get 10 days premium time, 1 Mechbay and one mounted item.

because I purchased a pack before the end of November I will get 54 days premium time 1 hanging item, 1 standing item, 1 mounted item and a Mechbay on top of the pack contents.

on average there are 2 packs released a year, it is generally worth getting the lowest tier pack before the cutoff for the first set of rewards just for the rewards which are usualy worth as much as the bottom tier pack itself

#10 Cleverbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 274 posts
  • LocationFeel Good Inc.

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:14 PM

Whoa, even the Premium time stacks? Thats actually quite generous of them!

Thanks! I'll be sure to keep my eyes open for more of those packs, they seem quite worthwhile

#11 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 01:13 PM

View PostCleverbird, on 05 January 2015 - 12:14 PM, said:

Whoa, even the Premium time stacks? Thats actually quite generous of them!

Thanks! I'll be sure to keep my eyes open for more of those packs, they seem quite worthwhile

Yes. Think about it from a business perspective. Given that it's a preorder, they are trying to get the money before the product is actually completed (it helps with the costs of everything from making to testing the mechs; I highly suspect that some elements of their mech development team are outsourced; definitely animations. Not sure about the rest). The sooner you buy, the less they have to stretch their budget to make the mechs.

Now, if it was a "If you buy in this month, you get this" type of deal, would you buy on the month with the least rewards? Probably not. But if they all stacked, and the earlier you do it the bigger the rewards on top of the others... you'll definitely jump on the bandwagon.

Whether on my own or with help (as had been the case with both Clan packages), I usually get the stuff fairly early. This time my budget's stretched, but I got in on the month 1 rewards with 20 bucks, and at the moment I can't get anything more (I will be jumping up the ladder eventually). In the mean time, I know I will get the all the monthly rewards, because I plugged in that first step early enough.

So in the future if you get interested in a package, just throw in that first step and decide later on whether to take the full plunge or not.

Honestly I'm looking forward to seeing Enforcers.
Now... if only I could get the Battletech Tanks in here. I could recreate this little moment of glory.
Spoiler

Damn I love that tank.

#12 Void2258

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 500 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 03:00 PM

I personally am not very impressed by the resistance mechs. Lots of arm hardpoints means lots of having no weapons if people blow off you arm.

#13 Magnus Zalman

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 03:26 PM

does anyone know what the house horns sound like?

#14 GLIZZY GULPER

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 140 posts
  • LocationN/A

Posted 05 January 2015 - 03:56 PM

I feel like the Panther has too few hardpoints/is too slow/too light to be useful in today's field of high-alpha laser-vomit clan builds or FS9-As jumping around taking legs all day.

The Enforcer looks like a Centurion with less Zombie capability but I'm ignorant of BT lore as to what it could mount. It's got JJs, that's always a plus. Perhaps it could be useful.

Grasshopper appeals to me. Heavy mech, good armor and speed akin to that of the Cataphract. Jump jets on all variants plus ample loadout space to run standards with considerable laser boating capability. Some variants have CT energy with head guns to zombie, who knows how that'll go. Looks skinny.

Zeus...eh. Potential for speed but it's looking pretty wide with a really mixed bag of hardpoints akin to the Awesome. Plus arm-centered weaponry. I'm not good at this game, so I can't tell you much on how it'll play out.

#15 ColonelProctor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 243 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationHorn Lake, Mississippi

Posted 05 January 2015 - 04:39 PM

Bought the Wraith pack myself. Can't wait to get in that dual UAC5 Enforcer.

#16 Ace Selin

• 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 05 January 2015 - 05:18 PM

What the guy above me said, looking forward to the Enforcer the most, especially the dual ac version.

#17 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 05 January 2015 - 06:20 PM

View PostTzar Zalman, on 05 January 2015 - 03:26 PM, said:

Not yet.

Unless they have slipped something in somewhere that I have not noticed yet.

#18 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 06:33 PM

View PostTzar Zalman, on 05 January 2015 - 03:26 PM, said:

As Shar said there hasn't been a leak thus far via soundcloud atm. For your specific faction (i.e. Clan warhorns, some random based ones, and Comstar one) though there is soundcloud assets to at least hear the sounds (https://soundcloud.com/mechwarrior).

#19 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 06:47 PM

I am trying to figure out how to buy a pack or two.
I got this AE gift card for the holidays but MWO does not take them. What service could be used to transfer the funds through?

#20 Jody Von Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 05 January 2015 - 06:57 PM

Had never bought any of the pre-order packs before, but wanted the rewards, so I ordered before the deadline. I hate buying a pig in a poke, but it was too tempting this time with the King Crab and Atlas included.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users