- - - - -

How To Effectively Deploy The Dire Wolf?

3 replies to this topic

#1 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 06 January 2015 - 09:30 AM

I've been a player around early Open Beta, and ever since the Clans came out, I've had a hard time deploying the Dire Wolf onto the field. Sure, I can put in the damage, it's just that I don't put in as much effort as I normally do with my other mechs. I've had people tell me to downgrade to a Warhawk, but I don't have a week and 12 hours a day to grind out the damn thing, which is somewhere around 40+ cbills overall in modifying the thing.
I've had the most success in the Dire Wolf using 4 lbx10 and all ammo, or 3 lbx10 and a ER large laser and as much lbx ammo I can carry, here's a screenshot of an aftermatch with that build: Posted Image

That being said, I'm pretty good, with a KDR of 1.32 and over 1900 kills under my belt and 1450 deaths on my shoes, I've come to ask for some tactics with it. I mean, I managed to take down a Dire Whale myself in a Basic Blackjack with a XL engine back then :

(Skip to 2:30 for when I rush in and kill the Dire Wolf pilot, think he panicked a bit too much, and that's what led to him being killed) That being said, I'll give some facts about my status with it:
The Dire Wolf is Elited
I've gotten 283 Kills with it overall
I've been killed 154 times in it
My ratio for KDR with it is 1.86
I've done about 94,000 damage in it
I've spent a total of about 20 hours on it

Any tips I should do when maneuvering this Fat Man? I know to keep up with the crowd usually, but how to flank them? Builds? Tactics? Like the Steiner Federation always says, "Information Is Ammunition."

#2 Nothing Whatsoever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 06 January 2015 - 12:07 PM

I'm still working through tactics, but have you considered builds that focus on more Dakka?

For example, I've been using this build and have been having fun in my DWF-B. I'm sure there are better ways, but that's what I'm trying right now. And the dakka is the primary with the Lasers as backup.

#3 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 06 January 2015 - 01:21 PM

View PostPraetor Knight, on 06 January 2015 - 12:07 PM, said:

I'm still working through tactics, but have you considered builds that focus on more Dakka?

For example, I've been using this build and have been having fun in my DWF-B. I'm sure there are better ways, but that's what I'm trying right now. And the dakka is the primary with the Lasers as backup.

That build seems a bit underpowered. Not saying it's bad but I've known a trick with the ultras that some may/ May not know. The more of the same ultra you have, the more chance you have of it jamming. If you have multiple kinds, the jamming is less and you can pull the trigger at a more tedious rate.

#4 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 06 January 2015 - 01:54 PM

My most successful DW by far is four Ultra/5s and six ERML.

2 gauss/2ERPPC is popular, although my gauss DW tends more towards dual gauss, a moderate amount of LRM, and a bunch of ERML.

I certainly suggest trying some of the tried and true DW builds to see how it goes.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users