Should There Be A Limit On Individual Variants?

33 replies to this topic

#21 dezgra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 271 posts
  • LocationLaborer caste mess hall

Posted 06 January 2015 - 10:28 PM

Do not think it would fix the issue. I vote NO. What we need are not more limitations, but expansion. Maybe new larger maps, user interface improvement, LONG TOMS, rear view mirror possible, Solaris Arena.

#22 Serpieri

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 January 2015 - 10:32 PM

Buff the other Mechs - you know like how PGI buffed the Thunderbolt to be competitive.

#23 RAM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 2,018 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 07 January 2015 - 12:41 AM

View PostFupDup, on 06 January 2015 - 09:32 PM, said:

The Thud 5S gigaquirks,

???

RAM
ELH

Edited by RAM, 07 January 2015 - 12:42 AM.

#24 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 02:13 AM

With all those limiting ideas you all forget that this game is f2p and one of the best income for pgi is selling mechs and bays. So there will never be something that will hinder you from buying your next mech.

Absolute balance is kinda unreachable. Look at starcraft, that is a more or less balanced game where every unit has a counter and even they have a shifting meta with every balance patch.

In Battletech there's no "counter" mechanic like this gun damages only lights or that laser kills only ferro armor. All our weapons do the same (type of) damage, it is the same if we shoot on a light or a heavy.

Problem is, we don't only have damage and armor values, we have run and jump speed, turn ratios and hitbox designs. A stalker is tankier than a battlemaster, right? but both have the same armor values! There you have your first imbalance!

And on top of that balancing mess you have player skills like aiming and understanding the system (which means gaming the system). There will always be a meta, something that works best, you just can't balance that out completely.

I think the quirks system was a good start, even if it leads to less diversity on the field. The only problem I have with it is the power creep. TTK islow enough, quirks should be more passive and more defensive imho, not just make you shoot faster.

#25 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 07 January 2015 - 02:57 AM

This is a bandaid to prevent unbalanced mechs to appear in dominant numbers.
The true solution is balaning the chassis so poeple bring what they like with a working loadout.

#26 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 07 January 2015 - 06:12 AM

Yes there is a way to put limits on the variant stacking and that a 1/1/1/1 with drop weight limits. But as was sai just above the best way is to have a good balance, which I think they are on the way to ding fairly well.

I was for the 1/1/1/1 but the drop wight limits only is ok to. Lets see where this all goes is what I am thinking at the moment.

#27 Illya Ghost Bear

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 500 posts
  • LocationTaking your planets, eating your cookies.

Posted 07 January 2015 - 06:50 AM

View Postgeodeath, on 06 January 2015 - 04:30 PM, said:

3/3/3/3 in pug drops is bad enough. Just take the limits off and everybody fight. Christ, what a bunch of whiners.

yes, because all direwhale, all the time is fun.

#28 Malckovich

• PipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 73 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 08:13 AM

As others have said, the heart of the issue stems from certain variants being much better than others. The devs need to focus on using the quirks to bring the other mechs up to par.

I don't feel that the Tbolt is extremely OP (maybe a slight tweak down), the issue is that there are not enough competitive choices. Instead of nerfing the strong mechs they need to keep buffing the weak mechs.

And I can't stress how important it is to do so in small increments. Devs often swing the pendulum too far in either direction when the better method is to go in small steps.

Edited by Malckovich, 07 January 2015 - 08:13 AM.

#29 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 07 January 2015 - 09:48 AM

View PostRAM, on 07 January 2015 - 12:41 AM, said:

???

RAM
ELH

The rather large MPL buffs.

#30 Kirkland Langue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 11:14 AM

I still think that any time "too many people using too many of the same mech" is a problem, the answer isn't to just put up a wall but instead to offer incentives to run something else.

In MWO, those incentives could look like Cbill/EXP/LP rewards.

Maybe such incentives wouldn't be enough, maybe PGI would/should/could do something else; I'd still argue that PGI should try the incentive route before placing hard limits.

#31 RAM

• The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 2,018 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 14 January 2015 - 09:15 PM

View PostFupDup, on 07 January 2015 - 09:48 AM, said:

The rather large MPL buffs.

That would be the 5SS...

RAM
ELH

#32 Chagatay

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 964 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 09:44 PM

If they want to bring 3xThud-9S, let them. I personally find that incredibly boring but they might be having fun who knows. I really don't mind. PGI could use the extra money anyways.

I don't run Crowx3/TW as I find that boring. I run the following:

3xSummoner and Kitfox (rarely, if I want a "jumper" deck for funsies)
or
Warhawk, Summoner, Stormcrow, and Kitfox
(More common used....oh! it is 1/1/1/1 compliant...and I am not even forced to do so. Fantastic!)

Edited by Chagatay, 14 January 2015 - 09:48 PM.

#33 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 04:59 AM

No, there should be no limits on a certain variant. You like a certain mech? Go for it, be one with the mech you love.

#34 Mercules

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 5,136 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 15 January 2015 - 05:59 AM

View PostIllya Arkhipova, on 07 January 2015 - 06:50 AM, said:

yes, because all direwhale, all the time is fun.

I remember the days with open matches where out of 8 mechs 6 would be Atlas 1 would be an Awesome, and then maybe a Heavy. Those days when your team would leg you if you brought a Commando to the match and then leave you to die with a comment, "Next time bring a real mech." Yeah, it happened.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users