Some Cw Suggestions

3 replies to this topic

#1 The Perpetually Offended

• Pip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 08:56 PM

What follows are my personal suggestions. Please feel free to disagree with anything or to make alternative suggestions if you wish.
  • Beginning with the Faction page, we can intelligently choose which planet to attack/defend by reading the numbers shown. However, once a planet is chosen, we lose the ability to monitor those numbers. To quit to check them again, however, is to forfeit the waiting time (or our positions in the line). I suggest either some warning that another planet may be better to select if possible, or better yet, a simple "Choose First Available Mission" button.
  • More maps and game modes are definitely necessary for variety. The standard games provide adequate examples of such game modes, even if just temporarily. As a start, I largely believe that a skirmish version of CW would be enjoyable; without particular missions in mind, simply respawning to kill each other again will be entertaining enough to entice more player activity.
  • On new maps, always keep in mind spawn locations. For example, I've discovered that heat vision allows me to see players inside the drop ships before they drop onto the field, giving me the advantage of knowing where and when someone's going to drop. Needless to say, this still allows for free back-drills. It might even be worth introducing new methods of delivering players to the battlefield, such as by use of multiple garages for the defending teams.
  • Continuing with new maps, I'd also like to suggest some kind of brawling map as a high priority. The current maps are favourable to snipers, which is only fun for so long.
  • This one's controversial: A solo player mode. Perhaps even something small and inconsequential to the CW map, such as an odd planet where people can simply go to learn or to just have some random fun with random weapons. Generally I'm finding the larger groups ordering solo players to leave CW. However, CW has potential and is certainly enticing enough to want to try. If the issue here is playerbase size then that's why I'm suggesting just one planet, perhaps, that can't be conquered (or something similar) simply to offer the experience to solo players. This allows the larger groups to continue to enjoy their roleplay and the new players to play in a less-hostile environment. Also, this would likely be successful as a skirmish map too.
  • This one's also controversial: The infamous TDR-9S. (Of course, this may change to something else in time. A year ago I'd be using the VTR-DS here instead.) I'll try my best not to infuriate anyone here. As far as I can tell, there are three big reasons why it's so commonly mentioned at the moment. Firstly, the attempted 3/3/3/3 balance is lost in CW. Secondly, of course, are the quirks that allow it to shoot massive, sustained damage over massive range in short time. Thirdly, is the general situation of larger, coordinated teams agreeing in advance to all select the TDR-9S before beginning a game, to then fight smaller groups and/or solo players, all focusing on one target at any given time.

My first point can't be practically addressed in CW without severe restrictions being imposed. My third point can be partially addressed with the addition of a solo player mode, but that will still leave larger groups (8-12) facing multiple smaller groups (2x6). As such, I'm afraid to say, the quirks of the TDR-9S need to be revised in some manner, as a necessity for CW improvement.
  • For attack/defense maps such as the current ones, I'd like to suggest alternative methods for opening gates, or perhaps even having backdoor routes (even if via horrific choke points or underground tunnels). This is simply for newer players who we've all watched spend games shooting the gates while simply not knowing about the power generators. Breaking a gate with repeated damage is certainly intuitive so that might also be worth considering implementing: Gates with extra shields provided by power generators but that can still be broken with sufficient force. For example, a gate might have 5000 health on its own but while a nearby power generator's still active, receive a reduction of 80% of all incoming damage.
  • My final suggestion is something that I don't expect to happen but it's a long-term dream: Bots. For attacks with no defending teams, as this is particularly upsetting as it leads to pratically no C-Bills or experience after a very long wait (waiting for your team to form and then ten more minutes before travelling all of the way to the base), I suggest something to fight other than the current turrets. As they are, the turrets give smalls amounts of experience if, but only if, you get the finishing blow. Better would be modified turrets that give more money, experience and kill assists, if possible (just for when there is no defending team). Better than that, of course, would be responsive bots that fight back.
Thank you for reading.

P.S. Something for ceasefire times would also be appreciated, which could be the without-consequences, solo players' planet. This isn't a severe problem, however, but I can imagine that it'd be enjoyed be people living in certain regions of the world.
Posted Image

Edited by JGtH2, 07 January 2015 - 09:02 PM.

#2 Locusthorde300

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 11:56 PM

I agree with you, implementing a lot of this sounds good. Those freaking Thunderbolts are basically the only mechs I see any more. They're killer and have a massive advantage.

#3 Kael Posavatz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 971 posts
  • LocationOn a quest to find the Star League

Posted 08 January 2015 - 03:14 PM

I agree with you, implementing a lot of this sounds good. Those freaking Thunderbolts are basically the only mechs I see any more. They're killer and have a massive advantage.

Or, when the Clan Quirks come out give them a monster weapon quirk to off-set. Then games will become a contest to see who can get that critical first hit.

That or orgies of mutual destruction.

#4 Fiona Marshe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 756 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 08 January 2015 - 11:54 PM

View PostJGtH2, on 07 January 2015 - 08:56 PM, said:

• This one's controversial: A solo player mode. Perhaps even something small and inconsequential to the CW map, such as an odd planet where people can simply go to learn or to just have some random fun with random weapons. Generally I'm finding the larger groups ordering solo players to leave CW. However, CW has potential and is certainly enticing enough to want to try. If the issue here is playerbase size then that's why I'm suggesting just one planet, perhaps, that can't be conquered (or something similar) simply to offer the experience to solo players. This allows the larger groups to continue to enjoy their roleplay and the new players to play in a less-hostile environment. Also, this would likely be successful as a skirmish map too.

SOLARIS VII ! Make it a permanent CW "Solo Queue Only" planet.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users