34 replies to this topic

#21 Cow And Chicken

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 136 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 05:39 PM

View PostBlack Arachne, on 10 January 2015 - 04:43 PM, said:

Pretty much this - have yet to spend a dime on the game and will not until its fairly priced.

Hi guys.

I can seriously relate to that video. I spent around 400$ last year on the game. I have wrote few threads
regarding my personal griefing after spending money on it. So it got me really unhappy and I didn't buy
anything for 6 months.

I got the resistance pack 2 days late for the King Crab reward. Yeah I know, my own fault. But still
after these 400$ I got a crappy Centaurion as a gift from PGI, thats all.

The day after buying the resistance pack I started feeling the resentment on paying for those is mechs.
All I know is if they suck badly then I have one line left to say and that is,,,,,,

Screw you guys. I am done! :D

Regards,
C&C

I think its way overpriced....

Edited by Cow And Chicken, 10 January 2015 - 05:40 PM.

#22 Ace Selin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 10 January 2015 - 07:57 PM

I think the pricing is fine too, but how about this. All new gamers (lets say up to first 50/100 games) get any MC purchased mechs at half price? And this would be publicised for new players logging in.

#23 DaZur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 10 January 2015 - 08:01 PM

IMHO what makes MW:O pricing so unpalatable for many is threefold:

1.) Players do the compare / contrast between MW:O and finished games. In short it's tough for many player to pay full-price for aspects of MW:O that has barely progressed any further than the original beta injected content.

2.) Players have tendency to compare / contrast MW:O with games that utilize "micro"-transactions and game mechanics that support that sort of transaction. MW:O has not yet truly implemented any such vehicle and as a result, very-very few purchases in MW:O can be considered impulse purchases as everything purchased is a sizable investment in either MC or c-bills.

3.) MW:O's Premium is not very "premium". The core premise of investing in premium content for most every F2P is to mitigate the abrasion level of the grind. MW:O suffers from premium content that is not sufficient enough of a boost to allow a player to feel their investment is worth the cost.

Edited by DaZur, 10 January 2015 - 08:02 PM.

#24 CocoaJin

• 3,607 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 10 January 2015 - 10:07 PM

View PostAce Selin, on 10 January 2015 - 07:57 PM, said:

I think the pricing is fine too, but how about this. All new gamers (lets say up to first 50/100 games) get any MC purchased mechs at half price? And this would be publicised for new players logging in.

I could get on board with reduced pricing for new players...half off is a but much though. How about 33% off.

#25 Black Arachne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 10:09 PM

View PostCocoaJin, on 10 January 2015 - 10:07 PM, said:

I could get on board with reduced pricing for new players...half off is a but much though. How about 33% off.

Reduced pricing for everyone - you don't want to favor one person over another.

#26 CocoaJin

• 3,607 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 10 January 2015 - 10:15 PM

View PostBlack Arachne, on 10 January 2015 - 10:09 PM, said:

Reduced pricing for everyone - you don't want to favor one person over another.

Yeah I do...new players. Us veterans need to sack up and accept that these are comparably priced mechs...PGI(any business mind you) needs revenue to keep all this going.

We need to stop calling these games Free to Play, the term creates a sense of entitlement to mooch as much off the game as possible...like it's some kind of competition.

Instead, call them Free to Grind.

Edited by CocoaJin, 10 January 2015 - 10:33 PM.

#27 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 11:25 PM

Cost of mechbays are fine in my opinion. Most events where you can get MC will net you some mechbays too. I don't think anyone has complained about them in a long time.

Hero mechs, are unique hardpointed mechs. Some of them are really really good, the best in their chassis like the Dragon Slayer. I personally have no problems since they are willing to put them on sale so many times.

Champion mechs....lel

The cost of mech packages seems to be the most noticable forum complaint personally. They are a lot of money and because they can go months without allowing them to be bought for c-bills some people accuse this of being pay to win. such as the Clan collection. when they first came out no one knew how to counter them, it was a huge leap in tech power and customization that most people just kinda lost to clans no matter how bad they were. This lead to many people just being like "Pay to win!" for months because of the timberwolf, stormcrow, and direwolf. Funny enough you don't see many people saying the mechs in Clan Wave 2 Were pay to win...

I have no problems with the MC payment system.

#28 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 January 2015 - 11:44 PM

View PostPanelBasher, on 09 January 2015 - 12:56 PM, said:

Having been playing MWO for a few weeks I have seen a great deal of complaints on these forums regarding many things but one thing sticks out more than others and that is cost.

As a new player who has played a great deal of World of Tanks it seems to me as if the pricing here is considerably cheaper than WoT. Clearly the game developers have studied the pricing model for World of Tanks and set their prices accordingly, albeit cheaper.

What confuses me is that I rarely see complaints on the World of Tanks forums about gold pricing, or the price of premium tanks. The playerbase seems to accept those prices, but not here. I wonder why. My assumption is that the MWO playerbase consists mostly of older players who are accustomed to buying a game which gives them all the content unlocked and expect to be able to play online, funding all on-going developments as part of the initial purchase of the game.

Mech bays cost the same as garage slots in WoT and to my recollection I cannot remember reading a single forum thread of people complaining about that particular cost. Of course you'll find examples if you google for it, but generally the sentiment is that it is acceptable.

Now I know some will respond that World of Tanks is a terrible example of a pricing structure. I won't argue about that, but it is a wildly successful game. Of that there can be no arguments.

Anyway, I'm a bit baffled why older gamers with more disposable income are so against the pricing. Certainly things like colours and camo should be much cheaper, but this is a niche game.

Thank you for reading.

Older gamers are used to buying a complete game for $30-$40 and playing it for 10 years.

#29 Greenjulius

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,319 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 11 January 2015 - 01:32 AM

I already miss the old days of paying for a game and being done with it, but F2P is an effective money gathering method for launching a game and keeping it supported.

One of the problems the MWO community faces is wanting everything. It's easy to want all the shiny mechs. I know I have that problem. I remember when I finally decided to put money into MWO early last year. The reason was the 2 free mechs, the Centurion A and the Thunderbolt 9S. I bought $100 of MC and picked up a 50% off Ilya Muromets as well as a handful of mech bays and a month of premium time.

Fast forward to now. I've picked up Clan Wave 2, Resistance and another $50 of MC I picked them all up after hearing that PGI took over the license from IGP. That's $350 I've put into the game, but now I have 58 mechs, 14 of which have 30% c-bill boosts. (Heroes, Prime mechs, Norn gift mechs) I have 160 days of active running premium time, as well as another 140 banked.

I feel like I've spent more than I probably should have, but I'm having fun, and I'm happy to support this game as long as it continue in the positive direction it's taken. That, and I want to continue to show that Battletech games have reason to exist.

I know if could all just disappear one day, but it's like any game with a community. They eventually do go away.

#30 ztac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 02:56 AM

Maybe it's an older vs younger player thing? Older people (unless rich or stupidly rich) tend to look for bargains or are more cautious with purchases , But younger people will just buy stuff if they have the money and never ask the questions like 'do I really need it'.

But sometimes people really want something they cant afford so try to get the price down...... Haggling! (people still do this sometimes , so moaning/complaining about MC cost could just be the modern form of haggling?)

#31 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 11 January 2015 - 03:20 AM

View Postztac, on 11 January 2015 - 02:56 AM, said:

Maybe it's an older vs younger player thing? Older people (unless rich or stupidly rich) tend to look for bargains or are more cautious with purchases , But younger people will just buy stuff if they have the money and never ask the questions like 'do I really need it'.

That's why you see so many young people driving around in classic sports cars, right? <_<

#32 jaxjace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 987 posts
  • LocationIn orbit around your world

Posted 11 January 2015 - 04:20 AM

I think prices are fine, lets look at the command a 25 ton mech for example.

660 MC - 3 dollars

now you need 3 to make em most efficiant so 9 dollars

then you need about 7-8 hours of grinding to get the 6 million cbills needed to outfit the commando with a max xl engine, double heat sinks, endo and ferro and a good weapon loadout.

or you could spend another 20 dollars on the cbills and skip all that, (please note buying cbills is not as efficiant as buying a champion with an xl and selling the xl engine)

grand total 30 bucks for 3 commandos (mind you only one of them will have an engine)

so grand total of more like 45 dollars to max out all 3 commandos and have them fully equipped and ready to drop at a moments notice.

OR you could spend 10-20 hours GRINDING for the cbills.

now lets look at the 75 ton god of death timberwolf.

30 dollars, apiece, you need 3 to make it fully efficient. now theres no need for endo or ferro or double heatsinks, these are not changeable anyway. however ill throw in another 10 dollars worth of cbills anyway because clan weapons are ******* expensive.

90 dollars to max out your timbers.

OR you could grind the 80 hours (2 entire work weeks) it would take to make the 50 million cbills you would need to do such a thing.

now when you figure your time is worth money, it doesnt really seem so bad, 45 bucks to get instant mechs or 20 hours of playing, figure on 10 bucks an hour 4.5 hours of work or 20 hours of play, you decide man!

#33 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 11 January 2015 - 04:46 AM

View PostPanelBasher, on 09 January 2015 - 12:56 PM, said:

Having been playing MWO for a few weeks I have seen a great deal of complaints on these forums regarding many things but one thing sticks out more than others and that is cost.

As a new player who has played a great deal of World of Tanks it seems to me as if the pricing here is considerably cheaper than WoT. Clearly the game developers have studied the pricing model for World of Tanks and set their prices accordingly, albeit cheaper.

What confuses me is that I rarely see complaints on the World of Tanks forums about gold pricing, or the price of premium tanks. The playerbase seems to accept those prices, but not here. I wonder why. My assumption is that the MWO playerbase consists mostly of older players who are accustomed to buying a game which gives them all the content unlocked and expect to be able to play online, funding all on-going developments as part of the initial purchase of the game.

Mech bays cost the same as garage slots in WoT and to my recollection I cannot remember reading a single forum thread of people complaining about that particular cost. Of course you'll find examples if you google for it, but generally the sentiment is that it is acceptable.

Now I know some will respond that World of Tanks is a terrible example of a pricing structure. I won't argue about that, but it is a wildly successful game. Of that there can be no arguments.

Anyway, I'm a bit baffled why older gamers with more disposable income are so against the pricing. Certainly things like colours and camo should be much cheaper, but this is a niche game.

Thank you for reading.
For me it's this.
Boar's Head 7500MC (Over $30)
Posted Image
CBT Atlas
Posted Image
$14.75

If I Painted and Decalled a Boar's Head and sold it on E Bay I might get $25. That is my reason for complaining. I am asked to pay "Collectible" Pricing for something everyone playing the game can buy.

#34 Theodore42

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 156 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 11 January 2015 - 07:06 AM

Back in the day there were games with subscriptions, like Eve and WoW (YEARS AGO) lol. $10-$15 a month. I eventually came to think of MC as a "choose your own price" kind of thing. Including $0, so that's nice.

Also, PGI has been putting things on sale recently and I've taken advantage of that. MC on sale? Bought a bunch. Hero mechs on sale? bought one. Colors went on sale? bought a bunch of them too. If you're a patient cheapskate you can actually get some really great deals.

The only problem I have is with the price of cbills. Even though it's balanced for the champion mechs and what not, it seems insane. I wish PGI would give players a chunk of premium time when they buy cbills since I think most people would come out ahead buying premium time instead. Might increase new player longevity too. New $PAYING$ player longevity (That's "paying" with dollar signs. I'm not advocating spaying new players.).

#35 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 12 January 2015 - 06:39 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 11 January 2015 - 04:46 AM, said:

For me it's this.
Boar's Head 7500MC (Over $30)

If I Painted and Decalled a Boar's Head and sold it on E Bay I might get $25. That is my reason for complaining. I am asked to pay "Collectible" Pricing for something everyone playing the game can buy.

Joseph... You are a kindred spirit and in terms of MW:O I love ya like a brother... But your killing me with this compare / contrast.

I get your point and in principle you are 100% validated in your premise. There is no inherent value to the digital content offered by PGI outside of the premium booster is carries and it's tough to justify the intrinsic cost for a digital commodity compared to a real-life physical item you can hold and touch.

It's like renting an apartment... Your money paid provides you with temporary housing and all amenities afforded by your lease agreement but at the end of the day you own nothing... Same thing here. Your $30 purchases you the opportunity to pilot the Boars Head for as long as you desire and affords you the opportunity to boost/supplement your usual and customary net profit to the tune of an additional 30%.

To be clear I understand and appreciate your premise that it doesn't make sense in terms of intrinsic value and you have every right to harbor this premise. That said, your kind'a comparing the price of a brick in New Jersey to a cricket fart in China... ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users