97 replies to this topic

#81 Mr Smiles

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMaine

Posted 28 November 2011 - 06:46 AM

View PostAdridos, on 28 November 2011 - 06:33 AM, said:

Ask someone to post it on MekTek and MW:LL forums. It should give you the boost you need and it will further advertise the game . B)

I already have a duplicate thread on the MekTek forums, but ooh, I hadn't thought of the MW:LL forums ;)

And I didn't post to the MekTek general forums, just the MechWarrior Online subforum, I felt it was... out of place anywhere else. I see they have an 'Other gaming' subforum for Living Legends, I'll post something there. As a general rule I've shackled myself with, I refused to repost on any forums unless that forum has an area specifically designated for talking about other games / MechWarrior Online specifically.

View PostCattra Kell, on 28 November 2011 - 06:37 AM, said:

So Mr. Smiles, Thorn's for everyone- I mean Results for everyone when? :)

I know you can't give us a real time since processing, etc. but do you have a pretty rough estimation? This could be some good data for a pod-cast topic...

Who knows? I'm aiming for 30 more people. Over the last couple days I've averaged like 0.5 people per hour, so that means a couple days. However, I've spent the last 15 minutes or so bumping threads, responding to comments, posting in other forums... all with the aim of getting that rush of new respondents that usually happens every time I do.

The MechWarrior Online forums seem about tapped, however. Bumping/publicizing this thread here gets me maybe 1 extra respondent in the hour that I do it, whereas before it would increase the number of respondents by like 1 or 2 per hour for an entire day. I reposted in the Suggestions forums, and that gave me a huge boost of like 20 people, and then it fell off and responding to comments in that thread hasn't boosted the response rate appreciably.

If I get enough responses by tonight, I'll post something tomorrow. If I get enough responses by tomorrow, it'll probably be Thursday or Friday before I can take the time to post the data/an analysis. That's kind of why I'm pushing so hard today for responses, since I want to get it done tomorrow!

#82 Sleipnir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 233 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 07:10 AM

Looking forward to the results from this. Should be a good look at what the community really thinks as a whole.

#83 Dihm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,312 posts
  • LocationPlanet Trondheim

Posted 28 November 2011 - 07:30 AM

I'll admit to being one of those who did a big old NO down the entire list of Clan mechs.

Interesting survey.

#84 Suko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 28 November 2011 - 10:56 AM

I appreciate the effort you put into this, but I REALLY hated the question: Should mechs be allowed to respawn: Yes/No.

You really should have a "Depends on the match/gameplay" option. I mean, if this game mimics TF2, then yes, respawn is almost a necessity. If it's more like CS, where you live and die by your actions, then No, spawning is not good.

This question is so dependent on match aspects of the game that no one knows yet, that this sections REALLY bothered me. What's worse, I HAVE to answer yes or no to most of those, even though I wanted to skip the whole thing because of the problems I listed above.

And what's with asking us what mechs we want in-game? A better question is: "What mechs could you see yourself using in-game". As it is, I just hit YES to every mech, 'cause I don't see why I wouldn't want them all in the game, but I will probably only use a handful of them.

Edited by shadowvfx, 28 November 2011 - 11:11 AM.

#85 KnowBuddy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 435 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 11:50 AM

Nice survey, thanks for putting in the time to put it together and advertise it.

View PostMr. Smiles, on 24 November 2011 - 05:57 AM, said:

Ugh, I know, I hate it too. There's a way to make a single option EXCLUSIVE, but no way to make them all-encompassing (except to include an "All of the above" option at the bottom).

But, as much as I hate it, at the very least forcing everyone to click each option will make there be a tiny increase in the number of people who don't just hit "yes" to all questions.

Actually, because it is structured the way it is, I ended up just hitting "yes" to all of the 'mechs instead of indicating which ones are important to me to have (and leaving the rest as "no opinion") as I would have liked to do. And it took forever to do... you might be losing respondents because after spending so much time giving valuable feedback, they get mired in a mech-select clickfest, which would be a shame. Meh, oh well.

And it doesn't capture the nuance of Clan mechs not being immediately available, and then being very rare in the hands of players once the invasion is under full swing. Also I was somewhat able to get across the concept of players only being able to be IS mercs, but there was no explicit options in any of the questions that I saw.

Edited by KnowBuddy, 28 November 2011 - 11:54 AM.

#86 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 28 November 2011 - 12:58 PM

View Postshadowvfx, on 28 November 2011 - 10:56 AM, said:

And what's with asking us what mechs we want in-game? A better question is: "What mechs could you see yourself using in-game". As it is, I just hit YES to every mech, 'cause I don't see why I wouldn't want them all in the game, but I will probably only use a handful of them.

Yeah, I have done the same, but we can live with that. We will still choose the most known mechs and leave the others, as do the devs, so I do not see any harm in that question forcing people to just vote YES on all of them.

#87 Mr Smiles

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 28 November 2011 - 02:25 PM

View PostKnowBuddy, on 28 November 2011 - 11:50 AM, said:

Nice survey, thanks for putting in the time to put it together and advertise it.

Actually, because it is structured the way it is, I ended up just hitting "yes" to all of the 'mechs instead of indicating which ones are important to me to have (and leaving the rest as "no opinion") as I would have liked to do. And it took forever to do... you might be losing respondents because after spending so much time giving valuable feedback, they get mired in a mech-select clickfest, which would be a shame. Meh, oh well.

And it doesn't capture the nuance of Clan mechs not being immediately available, and then being very rare in the hands of players once the invasion is under full swing. Also I was somewhat able to get across the concept of players only being able to be IS mercs, but there was no explicit options in any of the questions that I saw.

Well, you're just not part of the tiny increase in respondents who stop to think about their responses then :)

There are a lot of topics and nuances that weren't covered by this survey. I'm fine with that though, because it's important to keep the typical survey under an hour ;)

#88 GI Journalist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Major
  • Senior Major
  • 595 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 07:42 PM

View PostMr. Smiles, on 28 November 2011 - 06:29 AM, said:

I'll be honest. My mercenary list was from Sarna's "Category: Mercenary Commands" page, with extraneous words and groups (like Wolf's Dragoons sub-groups) removed. If you find anything's missing, while I can't edit it back into the survey, I can tell you that you can improve Sarna's listings by going to those mercenary pages, and editing the words "[Category:Mercenary Commands|<Group Name>]" to the bottom of each merc page.

Which just goes to prove Sarna isn't to be trusted as official in all things. As it stands, Lockhardt's Ironsides made for a fine proxy. I expect the majority of votes will go to the big names, but it'll be interesting to see which of the minor commands have fans.

Great survey though! Thanks for putting in the time.

Edited by GI Journalist, 28 November 2011 - 07:43 PM.

#89 Hollister

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 321 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:47 PM

27,000 something registered people so far for the forums and taking this long to get to just 300. I would have thought it would be at 1000 easy with the amount of people that have registered but i guess those numbers are a lie. Or one of a few things are happening, just people are lazy, others locking in names so they can claim them for themselves down the road, or people just do not know about or do not care.

Wish people cared enough to just take some time and put some thought into a survey to better the experience, if they are going to be taking that same time later and wasting it on said game.

#90 KnowBuddy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 435 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:50 PM

View PostMr. Smiles, on 28 November 2011 - 02:25 PM, said:

Well, you're just not part of the tiny increase in respondents who stop to think about their responses then :)

There are a lot of topics and nuances that weren't covered by this survey. I'm fine with that though, because it's important to keep the typical survey under an hour ;)

True... well partly in regards to the 'mech selection... I actually went through and marked the ones I strongly agreed with including as "yes," hoping that leaving the rest as blank would just convey no actual preference. But then it wouldn't allow me to advance B) .
I realized what you were saying after I responded, I had misinterpreted you slightly.
I would have thought that setting a default choice (for example "no preference") for each would be possible, but that's just an assumption, I don't know because I haven't tried creating a survey.

I totally understand about keeping response time down. My point, however, is that if I had tried to be honest and thorough in the 'mech selection section, it definitely would have taken me more than an hour. If I hadn't had to go back through and select a choice for each 'mech, it would have probably cut out 1/3 of the total response time.

In any case, it worked well and I was impressed by the survey as a whole. I can't wait to see the results!

Edited by KnowBuddy, 28 November 2011 - 09:53 PM.

#91 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 29 November 2011 - 12:18 AM

View PostHollister, on 28 November 2011 - 09:47 PM, said:

27,000 something registered people so far for the forums and taking this long to get to just 300. I would have thought it would be at 1000 easy with the amount of people that have registered but i guess those numbers are a lie. Or one of a few things are happening, just people are lazy, others locking in names so they can claim them for themselves down the road, or people just do not know about or do not care.

Wish people cared enough to just take some time and put some thought into a survey to better the experience, if they are going to be taking that same time later and wasting it on said game.

Just handfull of people are active. Half of those won't find this topic. Half of that half will take the survey and most of them will quit after second page, that's how it is.
Maths: :)
2 000 active people : 2 = 1 000 people finding it
1 000 : 2 = 500 people trying it
500 - 300 = 200 people doing it

#92 Tweaks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 959 posts
  • LocationLaval, Quebec, Canada

Posted 01 December 2011 - 02:50 PM

Good survey overall, but I found it too restrictive or too biased in some of the questions and options.

Every single question should have a "None of the above" choice in case the voter does not agree with the question or that none of the options matches his opinion.

Forcing us to pick something even if none of the options really match what we want will not make a very accurate survey in the end!

I don't think it will be representative however. Not enough people will see it, vote on it, or even care.

Edited by Tweaks, 01 December 2011 - 02:57 PM.

#93 Tweaks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 959 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 02:55 PM

View PostAdridos, on 29 November 2011 - 12:18 AM, said:

Just handfull of people are active. Half of those won't find this topic. Half of that half will take the survey and most of them will quit after second page, that's how it is.
Maths: ^_^
2 000 active people : 2 = 1 000 people finding it
1 000 : 2 = 500 people trying it
500 - 300 = 200 people doing it

He's right, unless the survey is officiated by PG and sent in a mass-email to all members, there won't be enough of a representative sample of voters for it to be meaningful.

Proper sampling for a survey means you need to get an equal number of people from both sexes, all age groups, location and BattleTech knowledge level. Those are the key factors that will establish a good sample. If all of the people filling your survey are hardcore BT geeks, then you won't get a good picture of the average user's points of view on all the different topics.

Seriously guys, you have to realize that forum polls are pointless other than to get the opinions of only active forum members who care about voting (which is usually less than 1% of the total members on the forum, do the math, you'll see I'm right).

Edited by Tweaks, 01 December 2011 - 02:56 PM.

#94 Mr Smiles

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 01 December 2011 - 04:19 PM

View PostTweaks, on 01 December 2011 - 02:55 PM, said:

He's right, unless the survey is officiated by PG and sent in a mass-email to all members, there won't be enough of a representative sample of voters for it to be meaningful.

Proper sampling for a survey means you need to get an equal number of people from both sexes, all age groups, location and BattleTech knowledge level. Those are the key factors that will establish a good sample. If all of the people filling your survey are hardcore BT geeks, then you won't get a good picture of the average user's points of view on all the different topics.

Seriously guys, you have to realize that forum polls are pointless other than to get the opinions of only active forum members who care about voting (which is usually less than 1% of the total members on the forum, do the math, you'll see I'm right).

Incorrect on several counts. The 300+ people I did manage to get is enough to be extremely representative on a number of questions.

"Proper sampling" is not a statistics term. What is a statistics term is "unbiased sample", which is a random assortment of people created by doing a "random sample". In fact, non-random samples as you describe might have problems with bias, since you're artificially imposing arbitrary restrictions on who is allowed to answer.

There is no law in statistics that says in order to have a representative sample, you must have the company itself officiate the survey. In fact, that's sometimes results in what's called a "conflict of interests."

Finally, you're absolutely right that my survey will only gather information on what the people on the forums want. What you've deluded yourself into believing is that this is somehow a bad thing. If my survey was designed to only appeal to the forum-goers, then only being representative of them means I've done my job correctly.

And how, exactly, Mr. Smarty Pants, would PGI e-mailing people with a survey result in a "proper sample"? That would have just as much bias. In fact, it would probably have more, since it would restrict people who had given PGI their e-mail, given permission for PGI to e-mail them, and it would eliminate the ~10% of people I gathered for my survey who were not forum-goers, but instead just friends of forum-goers. My survey also goes to many other forums, including ones for competing games (MWLL and MekTek), which means I've gathered respondents from demographics that a PGI-administered e-mail would not reach--PGI would only reach fans who were excited enough about a new MechWarrior game to register with the forums ASAP.

tl;dr learn to use statistics before you judge mine. I have no problem with people judging my statistics or correcting them, but only when they know what they're talking about. Also, this thread was extremely well buried and had been replaced with the analysis, found here (http://mwomercs.com/...phere-analysis/) before you resurrected it. Please don't resurrect threads that are getting buried, there's sometimes a good reason for the burial.

Edited by Mr. Smiles, 01 December 2011 - 04:22 PM.

#95 Tweaks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 959 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 06:42 PM

Just to get something clear before I respond, I'm not here to troll in any way and my post wasn't purposely doing that either. However since you responded so violently, I have to at least explain myself a little more, and then I'll stop.

View PostMr. Smiles, on 01 December 2011 - 04:19 PM, said:

Incorrect on several counts. The 300+ people I did manage to get is enough to be extremely representative on a number of questions.

"Proper sampling" is not a statistics term. What is a statistics term is "unbiased sample", which is a random assortment of people created by doing a "random sample". In fact, non-random samples as you describe might have problems with bias, since you're artificially imposing arbitrary restrictions on who is allowed to answer.

There is no law in statistics that says in order to have a representative sample, you must have the company itself officiate the survey. In fact, that's sometimes results in what's called a "conflict of interests."

You didn't "get" 300+ people per say, they came to you when they saw your survey link. That means that you didn't actually get a "random assortment" of people either. There's nothing random when only the interested and most subject to answer voluntarily fill out your survey. Typical statistics gathering techniques usually involves direct solicitation where people are selected randomly from a large list and contacted directly to answer a survey. That is how actual statistics agencies do it when they want to truly get a random assortment of people.

Finally, you're absolutely right that my survey will only gather information on what the people on the forums want. What you've deluded yourself into believing is that this is somehow a bad thing. If my survey was designed to only appeal to the forum-goers, then only being representative of them means I've done my job correctly.

That is not at all what I meant. I meant your choices are too restrictive. If you want people to vote, then there must be at least a "none of the above" option in each multiple-choice question, for if none of the choices apply then you are forced to pick the "closest" thing that fits your true opinion when it's not fully representing it. Afterwards, you'll be saying "Hey, 200 people said they want to have this and that this way" when in fact, it's not exactly that. They just couldn't pick anything else.

And how, exactly, Mr. Smarty Pants, would PGI e-mailing people with a survey result in a "proper sample"? That would have just as much bias. In fact, it would probably have more, since it would restrict people who had given PGI their e-mail, given permission for PGI to e-mail them, and it would eliminate the ~10% of people I gathered for my survey who were not forum-goers, but instead just friends of forum-goers. My survey also goes to many other forums, including ones for competing games (MWLL and MekTek), which means I've gathered respondents from demographics that a PGI-administered e-mail would not reach--PGI would only reach fans who were excited enough about a new MechWarrior game to register with the forums ASAP.

You had to give your email to PG when you created your account to reserve your pilot name. My point was that your survey is currently not visible to all players because:

1. It's not a sticky
2. It wasn't announced per say
3. It's buried in a lot of other posts
4. Not all members actually visit the forums frequently

If PG sends a mass email about an official survey of their making, then a lot more people will see it (it will literally be in their face when they login to the site or check the Home page, AND be in their inbox) and if more people see it, then more people might answer it. It's closer to actual statistics gathering techniques than just posting a survey somewhere and waiting for people to come. At least that way, they are solicited to do so.

By the way just out of curiosity, how do you know ~10% of the people who filed your survey are not forum goers if the survey is anonymous? You're tracking the requester URL or something like that?

tl;dr learn to use statistics before you judge mine. I have no problem with people judging my statistics or correcting them, but only when they know what they're talking about. Also, this thread was extremely well buried and had been replaced with the analysis, found here (http://mwomercs.com/...phere-analysis/) before you resurrected it. Please don't resurrect threads that are getting buried, there's sometimes a good reason for the burial.

I don't need to be a statistics expert to write what I wrote, it's just logic and common sense. As for resurrecting your thread, I did not, Adridos did just before I did. I found the thread on the second page of the forums when I replied, which I hardly call "buried". If you don't want people to reply to this thread anymore, then the smart thing to do is ask a moderator to lock it with a note linking it to your other thread. They have done it for me a few times already, just use the report feature and request a lock.

That said, I found your tone to be quite condescending for a guy 10 years younger than I am. You talk down to me as if you had a master in statistics with several years of experience, do you? I know I don't, but that doesn't make me ignorant per say.

I've done some reading on statisctics sampling methods, and found this Wikipedia article was quite informative. From what I gathered and understood, posting a link to a survey in a community forum is very close to what they call Convenience sampling. By definition, this sampling method is not representative of a general population. That means that you can't take your survey data and later scale it up and claim that it's an accurate representation of what the entire community of MWO thinks and want. I don't have all the words to explain what I read in there, but if you read it yourself you'll understand what I mean.

Edited by Tweaks, 01 December 2011 - 07:56 PM.

#96 Mr Smiles

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 01 December 2011 - 08:38 PM

View PostTweaks, on 01 December 2011 - 06:42 PM, said:

Just to get something clear before I respond, I'm not here to troll in any way and my post wasn't purposely doing that either. However since you responded so violently, I have to at least explain myself a little more, and then I'll stop.

I'm sorry about getting mad before, truly. But you should work on being a bit diplomatic: how would you feel if someone approached you while you were doing a project that you've spent 20-30 hours of your time on just the typing portion of, not even the research and thinking portion of, and told you that what you're doing is meaningless?

And then compounded that statement by saying it's meaningless because of <reasons which are untrue and assumptive>?

Well, in case you're a saint who wouldn't be at all irritated, for the rest of us, having people snidely tell you that your hard work which you've been lovingly nurturing to fruition for weeks, is meaningless, is very angering.

You didn't "get" 300+ people per say, they came to you when they saw your survey link. That means that you didn't actually get a "random assortment" of people either. There's nothing random when only the interested and most subject to answer voluntarily fill out your survey. Typical statistics gathering techniques usually involves direct solicitation where people are selected randomly from a large list and contacted directly to answer a survey. That is how actual statistics agencies do it when they want to truly get a random assortment of people.

How would you characterize the typical interaction between a statistics agency and a potential respondent? I imagine it like this:

"Would you like to take this survey, sir?"
"No thanks."
"Would you like to take this survey, madam?"
"No thanks."
"No thanks."
"Sure, I have some time for that."

All surveys are voluntary, except for census bureau ones, and even those people skip out on (though it costs them in the end). There's no true difference between a statistics agency's "random selection" and my own.

And additionally, you make assumptions about how statistics agencies get random selections. You think calling people is random? When the phone first became a major middle-class thing, there was one president candidate--I forget who--whose successful election was announced in the paper, because the news company called thousands of people and 90% of them had voted for that candidate. As it turned out, that candidate had been defeated in a landslide loss. Why the huge difference? ...because only rich people had phones at that point, and rich people were primarily voting for that failed Republican candidate, but everyone else wasn't.

Think it's so different today? Stand on the street corner with a survey, nobody will stop when you ask, except those who don't have anywhere to go (unemployed, or rich enough to not need a job). Cold call people, and you'll realize that there's a huge 'do not call' list, less and less people are using land-lines, and the only people who respond to you are those who are unemployed (they're the only ones with the time for a survey) or upset about something (they're the only ones who have the motivation for a survey).

Mass e-mail people, and everyone tech savvy enough to set up a spam filter doesn't receive it. You'll have a lot of work e-mails on your mass e-mail list, and those people won't take those surveys because they can't access the site at work. Everyone whose not tech-savvy will also be nervous about taking it, because it might be a virus or a scam (did you know that you can modify the "From" address on your e-mail so that it claims you're someone else? I've received e-mails from Blizzard Entertainment Customer Support, @blizzard.com and everything about needing my password to solve a problem with my account. The "From" address means nothing, even if it says Piranha Games Inc.)

I might be oversimplifying to prove a point, but not by much. The point is, no matter how you perform a survey, you will be eliminating large portions of the population who, for some reason or another, either never hear about your survey or refuse to respond.

A good survey taker isn't someone who can overcome that obstacle, because it can't be overcome. A good survey-taker is someone who can write up their analysis or report with those obstacles in mind. I keep them in mind.

That is not at all what I meant. I meant your choices are too restrictive. If you want people to vote, then there must be at least a "none of the above" option in each multiple-choice question, for if none of the choices apply then you are forced to pick the "closest" thing that fits your true opinion when it's not fully representing it. Afterwards, you'll be saying "Hey, 200 people said they want to have this and that this way" when in fact, it's not exactly that. They just couldn't pick anything else.

Not what you said, don't lie.

In any case, I'm not too worried. I agree, I should've had more 'indifferent' options, but in some cases it was impossible (like in the 'Mech lists) due to code, and in some cases I didn't think it was necessary, and in some cases I forgot. But I'm not worried: when you have a question that generates false responses like that, the false responses tend to just show up as static. That is, either everyone says 'yes' and it doesn't matter because you're only paying attention to which answers people said yes to the most, or the reverse for 'no', or people say a mix of 'yes' and 'no' (as they did with the 'Mechs)... and you still only have to pay attention to which answers people said yes/no to the most....Again, I agree, but it's still not something I can't just mentally compensate for with extreme ease.

Also in any case, I compensated for this in other ways. The order of answers is randomized for each question. If people hit the first option on the list because they don't have an opinion, their opinion becomes static (because if there's three possible answers, 100 indifferent people will show up as voting 33% for one, 33% for another and 33% for the third).

You had to give your email to PG when you created your account to reserve your pilot name. My point was that your survey is currently not visible to all players because:

1. It's not a sticky
2. It wasn't announced per say
3. It's buried in a lot of other posts

If PG sends a mass email about an official survey of their making, then a lot more people will see it (it will literally be in their face when they login to the site or check the Home page, AND be in their inbox) and if more people see it, then more people might answer it. It's closer to actual statistics gathering techniques than just posting a survey somewhere and waiting for people to come. At least that way, they are solicited to do so.

See above. There are a number of flaws with mass-email, just as there are a number of flaws with my technique--but at least I have experience with overcoming the flaws in my technique, and most of the flaws are irrelevant to my situation (if I'm mostly trying to get people from the general forum to give me their opinion, posting on the general forum makes sense.)

But you're making two very, very, VERY wrong arguments here. Extremely wrong.

First, by e-mailing people, you remove anonymity. This completely warps people's ability to answer honestly, if they know that their survey has their name attached to it. Maybe not consciously, but there is an extremely well-documented ability for the loss of anonymity to corrupt answers in seemingly uncorruptable surveys. (Yes, I have studied how to write surveys and study their results, I'm not just some random 'kid').

The second fail-argument here is that by e-mailing people directly, Piranha Games would lose their neutral-party standpoint. People were able to answer my survey honestly--or more honestly, in any case--because I reassured them repeatedly that while I would e-mail the results to PGI, there were no guarantees they'd do more than pat me on the head, say 'good job', and throw it in the trash. I'm a neutral party, a nobody, an unknown--nobody cares about me. So having my name on the byline of the survey does not influence the survey.

Maybe taking it from another tact would explain it better. You know what subtext is, right? It's the meaning behind words. "Her eyes were beautiful, like glass spheres filled with blue rosebuds." has its literal meaning, and its metaphorical meaning, but it also has subtext: "I, the narrator, am falling in love with this woman." This is commonly called show don't tell in the writing world.

Well, when I write the question "Would you be willing to accept in-game advertising in MechWarrior Online?", there's no subtext. I'm simply asking a direct question, with no possible other interpretation because I am an unknown.

What if PGI asked that question? "Would you be willing to accept in-game advertising in MechWarrior Online?", then there's a huge amount of subtext. The biggest bit being "We at PGI are seriously considering adding in-game advertising. We probably will. We're sort of curious whether the backlash will be big enough to renege though.

And that'll completely warp the answers. To my question, people respond "Yeah, that might not be bad. Might not be good either. Not sure." but to Piranha's question people would respond "Wait, they're looking for backlash? Then we'd better give it to them! NO NO NO!"

There's one third problem with mass e-mail. Only 65% of my respondents came from MWOMercs.com. I had a ton from a variety of different forums who I posted to. Mass e-mail might get the general forums here just fine... but they completely filter out any other groups.

By the way just out of curiosity, how do you know ~10% of the people who filed your survey are not forum goers if the survey is anonymous? You're tracking the requester URL or something like that?

Didn't you take the survey? One of the final--and mandatory--questions was telling me how you arrived at the survey. In the words of Winston Churchill: "Self-report is the worst form of survey-taking, except all others that have been tried." Or maybe Churchill didn't say it quite like that, I'm not sure ^_^

That is to say, I forced people to tell me how they arrived at the survey, which I would've preferred to do with an advanced technique like URL tracking or something, but that's not possible for a huge number of reasons related to both how HTML works, how browsers work, and how the particular software I'm using works.

I don't need to be a statistics expert to write what I wrote, it's just logic.

Nope. Statistics defies logic more often than you might think.

For example: gut instinct tells you that every time it rains, there is also lightning. Therefore, rain causes lightning, right? Nope. Because correlation does not imply causation: they have a central root cause (clouds), but they are not related to each other in a direct way.

Or: two children from the same parents both develop schizophrenia. The root cause is logically something genetic, or to do with their household, right? Logic! ...except, maybe they developed a chemical imbalance in the womb, or ingested something questionable at school, or maybe it was just random with no root cause whatsoever.

In any case. That's probably the most offensive thing to say to any expert in any field--"Meh, you don't have to be an expert to make strong, blanket claims about your expertise--after all, it's not like you need an education to do it! Ha!"

That said, could you enlighten us all about your knowledge of statistics methods and techniques? Do you have a degree in statistics or better? (that's a honest question, not sarcasm by the way).

"Us all" being you, the only person whose asked. I believe the reason being I already answered this elsewhere, but maybe I didn't.

My knowledge of statistics comes from the following sources:

My attempted psychology minor (I have the credits, just, our school doesn't have one even though when I started school I had sworn it did. Maybe they closed the program.) My sociology courses. My political science courses. My business courses. All of which involved studying how surveys are constructed, worded, and analysed. I've also done a fistful of similarly large surveys and analyses over the years, and have been refining my techniques to suit this online context since. And every time, I give myself a refresher course using borrowed statistics texts, sites, and Wikipedia.

Augmented by my years and years of Calculus courses allowing me to easily read the complex formulas which underly common statistical... er... formulas.

I don't expect that much experience from a 23 years old, but we could all be surprised...You talk down to me as if you knew more than I did on the subject (which may be true, but I'm still 10 years older than you are), with a condescending tone I might add...

You should know that saying your opinion is probably better because you're older has caused at least 40 heart-attacks amongst people who know the various logical fallacies.

In my experience, you can meet perfectly intelligent and knowledgeable people at a young age, and complete idiots at an older age. The reverse is also true. After you graduate college, your age has almost nothing to do with how much knowledge you have--after college, the biggest difference between those with a particular bit of knowledge and those without are your willingness to say "there are things I might not know". Your willingness to learn.

It's the people who make a habit of saying "I don't need to have knowledge about an area, I use my logic and it's just as good as your education!" who end up having less knowledge as people a decade their junior.

I'm not saying my knowledge of statistics is perfect, nor that I am a professional at it. Just that I've been studying survey-taking for my entire college career in at least one course per semester, and you just told me you wrote your statement using only 'logic'.

Edited by Mr. Smiles, 01 December 2011 - 08:45 PM.

#97 Alizabeth Aijou

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 06:16 AM

View PostMr. Smiles, on 26 November 2011 - 10:35 AM, said:

If we all know what we're talking about when someone says "Level 3 technology", who gives a flying **** what the actual terminology is?

Any contemporary BT player should.
It avoids confusion.
So why don't you take that old HMPro stick out of your **** and get modernised.

#98 Garth Erlam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,756 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • YouTube: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 02 December 2011 - 08:44 AM

Thank you so much for doing this, and as you've requested - *POW!*

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users