Whats Faster?

45 replies to this topic

#21 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 12:38 PM

Hydrogen wants to form bonds with everything because it's only got one electron and needs to fill that level with another one to make it stable. As an ion, it doesn't have an unstable valence shell and reacts less readily. It can, however, get picked up by electrons from other atoms.

As for shooting neutrons, the generation of high-energy examples and the control of them is far more complex and less direct than with protons and electrons because they feature no electric charge. Since we have fusion reactors already in the 'Mechs, that first part is already taken care of. But guiding the neutrons is a little tricky, especially when they have energy exceeding 100 terajoules. You can slow them down and make them easier to reflect using moderation techniques, but then how do you speed them up again? In practical terms, a neutron beam would be a huge, heavy, complex gun on a BattleMech. It's far easier to just strip electrons away and shoot cations at targets. We could even add the electron back to the cation on its way out, making it harder to defend against the shot with a simple magnetic field.

Correction, a hydrogen ion reacts pretty violently with anything, though I do suspect that if it's travelling near the speed of light that there won't be time for such reactions to occur.

Edited by Yeonne Greene, 11 January 2015 - 06:41 PM.

#22 Brody319

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 01:11 PM

yes but the usefulness of a particle cannon would vary massively depending on the atmosphere of the planet. Its entirely possible that the other particles in the atmosphere or just the density could result in some very different results.

Also just because our current neutron guns require a lot of equipment to function doesn't mean future technology couldn't find another way to use them. since power isn't much of an issue since they have fusion engines it could be possible to make a neutron gun small enough for a mech to use.

#23 Top Gun Killer

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 69 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 11 January 2015 - 02:00 PM

Thanks Yoki but thats just the stats for MWO not lore based.

#24 Top Gun Killer

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 69 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 11 January 2015 - 02:09 PM

Guys we are talking Battle Tech LORE BASED not todays world or Mechwarrior online LORE LORE LORE does anyone have real facts that back up what they say ?? I'm sure someone out in the battle tech world has this info like how would the speed of the weapon not be listed ???

#25 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 02:42 PM

View PostTop Gun Killer, on 11 January 2015 - 02:09 PM, said:

Guys we are talking Battle Tech LORE BASED not todays world or Mechwarrior online LORE LORE LORE does anyone have real facts that back up what they say ?? I'm sure someone out in the battle tech world has this info like how would the speed of the weapon not be listed ???

because the LORE is from a BOARD GAME. meaning there is no projectile speed. Just the damage it does at specific ranges. All weapons fire at the same speed.

#26 CocoaJin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,607 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 11 January 2015 - 03:01 PM

PPCs aren't like lightening...if anything, they are anti-lightening. They are proton cannons, either firing streams, or blobs of plasma. Streams could travel pretty damn fast, but since they don't have burn time like lasers and are treated more like ballistics, I'd suspect they are cohesive blobs...which I'd think would significantly, if not severely, slow their flight speed.

The whole blob method means you get a lot of interaction with the atmosphere when fired within on. So lots of drag and attenuation of the blob. I won't even try to figure out how they maintain the containment of the blob once it leaves the barrel, but if required some type containment core to be fired within the blob, the PPC bolt is going to be limited to the projectile velocity of the core and the strength/ability of its magnetic field to maintain containment against the sheering effect of the atmosphere.

#27 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 January 2015 - 03:01 PM

View PostTop Gun Killer, on 10 January 2015 - 10:44 PM, said:

What is faster lore base with some proof just can't be because i said so....

ER-PPC or Gauss ????

Please post a link or something to show how you found this thanks.
My money is on Gauss..

In game it made no difference. ERPPC had same short range, slightly less medium range, and slightly longer long range than Gauss.

#28 L3mming2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 03:02 PM

haha i hope they atleast dit a 100 damage ore so, if not it would be as humiliating as getting knifed in cs times ten :P

#29 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 03:20 PM

View PostCocoaJin, on 11 January 2015 - 03:01 PM, said:

PPCs aren't like lightening...if anything, they are anti-lightening. They are proton cannons, either firing streams, or blobs of plasma. Streams could travel pretty damn fast, but since they don't have burn time like lasers and are treated more like ballistics, I'd suspect they are cohesive blobs...which I'd think would significantly, if not severely, slow their flight speed.

The whole blob method means you get a lot of interaction with the atmosphere when fired within on. So lots of drag and attenuation of the blob. I won't even try to figure out how they maintain the containment of the blob once it leaves the barrel, but if required some type containment core to be fired within the blob, the PPC bolt is going to be limited to the projectile velocity of the core and the strength/ability of its magnetic field to maintain containment against the sheering effect of the atmosphere.

It's not plasma, it's a stream of ions (plasma contains ions, but also their free electrons). It's a beam weapon. Sarna even calls it a beam weapon. They don't each necessarily have to have a net charge and repel each other because you can neutralize the ions (aka, make them atoms again) as they leave the weapon, but they will still suffer from scattering effects same as anything that has to move through an ocean of other objects (even a stream of bullets through the air).

View PostBrody319, on 11 January 2015 - 01:11 PM, said:

yes but the usefulness of a particle cannon would vary massively depending on the atmosphere of the planet. Its entirely possible that the other particles in the atmosphere or just the density could result in some very different results.

Also just because our current neutron guns require a lot of equipment to function doesn't mean future technology couldn't find another way to use them. since power isn't much of an issue since they have fusion engines it could be possible to make a neutron gun small enough for a mech to use.

A laser's effectiveness is also dependent on the atmosphere; the shorter the wavelength, the more its potency drops off for a given density due to scattering effects. A slug is also affected by density; it has to cut through the air and greater atmospheric density means a more rapid loss of energy to friction.

Now, the PPC is really a projectile weapon, not an energy weapon. It is an energy weapon only in the same way that a Gewehr 98 is an energy weapon; that is to say, it uses kinetic energy of an object impacting the target to do its thing. Sarna says it imparts thermal damage as well, but so do slugs. The EM effects should only come into play if you don't neutralize the ions before they exit the weapon, and I'm assuming they do otherwise everybody would just be scattering PPC beams (and they are beams) with battlefield EM bubbles, greatly reducing or even eliminating their ability to do damage. So, the EM part isn't totally off, but it's also being hand-waved in.

As for the neutron gun, doesn't matter. Why bother? It's not practical even if it's portable, and as a kinetic weapon would be harder to make effective over a distance than using ions of heavier elements (i.e. lead). You can detonate a small-yield neutron bomb over the battlefield to get the same result in a much more economical package. If neutralizing the net charge on a PPC round is what you want, you can run the projected cations through a field of electrons as they exit.

View PostTop Gun Killer, on 11 January 2015 - 02:09 PM, said:

I felt compelled to comment when people started saying "good proof" and praising just because it [incorrectly] referenced things said in Through the Wormhole. While I applaud people for watching educational television and having even a passing interest in physics, it's not okay to let ignorance propagate. It's not okay when people are just eclectically pulling concepts from things they've seen on TV without realizing that most of that stuff has been distilled down into the simplest, most easily consumed morsels and that they generally leave out huge swaths of context. I'm not even an expert in physics, but I have more than a passing interest in it, I have some formal education on it, and it pains me to see people misrepresenting quantum mechanics and something as relatively straight-forward as Relativity itself.

Edited by Yeonne Greene, 12 January 2015 - 02:51 PM.

#30 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 03:27 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 11 January 2015 - 03:20 PM, said:

It's not plasma, it's a stream of ions (plasma contains ions, but also their free electrons). It's a beam weapon. Sarna even calls it a beam weapon. They don't each necessarily have to have a net charge and repel each other because you can neutralize the ions (aka, make them atoms again) as they leave the weapon, but they will still suffer from scattering effects same as anything that has to move through an ocean of other objects (even a stream of bullets through the air).

A laser's effectiveness is also dependent on the atmosphere; the shorter the wavelength, the more its potency drops off for a given density due to scattering effects. A slug is also effected by density; it has to cut through the air and greater atmospheric density means a more rapid loss of energy to friction.

Now, the PPC is really a projectile weapon, not an energy weapon. It is an energy weapon only in the same way that a Gewehr 98 is an energy weapon; that is to say, it uses kinetic energy of an object impacting the target to do its thing. Sarna says it imparts thermal damage as well, but so do slugs. The EM effects should only come into play if you don't neutralize the ions before they exit the weapon, and I'm assuming they do otherwise everybody would just be scattering PPC beams (and they are beams) with battlefield EM bubbles, greatly reducing or even eliminating their ability to do damage. So, the EM part isn't totally off, but it's also being hand-waved in.

As for the neutron gun, doesn't matter. Why bother? It's not practical even if it's portable, and as a kinetic weapon would be harder to make effective over a distance than using ions of heavier elements (i.e. lead). You can detonate a small-yield neutron bomb over the battlefield to get the same result in a much more economical package. If neutralizing the net charge on a PPC round is what you want, you can run the projected cations through a field of electrons as they exit.

I felt compelled to comment when people started saying "good proof" and praising just because it [incorrectly] referenced things said in Through the Wormhole. While I applaud people for watching educational television and having even a passing interest in physics, it's not okay to let ignorance propagate. It's not okay when people are just eclectically pulling concepts from things they've seen on TV without realizing that most of that stuff has been distilled down into the simplest, most easily consumed morsels and that they generally leave out huge swaths of context. I'm not even an expert in physics, but I have more than a passing interest in it, I have some formal education on it, and it pains me to see people misrepresenting quantum mechanics and something as relatively straight-forward as Relativity itself.

The Kinetic energy of any projectile is 0.5 * M * V^2.
M being mass
V being velocity.

There would be almost NO kinetic energy for a proton or hydrogen Ion moving at the speeds they are in this game.

As I was saying with a Neutron gun, the radiation could pass through the mech's hull, and kill the pilot within damaging very much within the mech. meaning instead of collecting the scrap and repairing it, you would just dump out the corpse and give it a good scrubbin. boom perfectly good mechs.

#31 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 03:48 PM

I'm an engineer. You don't need to quote such base equations to me. The OP asked which is faster in the lore.

In lore, the PPC is a beam whose particles (which can be either protons or heavier ions, according to Sarna) are travelling at velocities that are a significant fraction of the speed of light. Let's say it moves at the speed of lightning; that's still about 2% the speed of light. 0.02 by 300,000 km/s is still 6000 km/s (or 6,000,000 m/s). In actuality, it probably moves much faster than that. Being an ion, you can electromagnetically accelerate it up to whatever you have the energy for that is less than the speed of light. And since it does kinetic damage, I'm assuming they move them faster than 2% of c.

And now allow me to blow your mind: a photon has no mass, making that macro KE equation useless. Should have 0 kinetic energy, right? Wrong. A photon is energy, and it imparts some of its energy to particles it strikes. That's why you can use light as a weapon at all. It can also be used to propel space ships, that's how the ship from Avatar got up to speed: with long-term exposure to terawatt-level lasers beamed from stations in orbit around Earth.

And do you even know what a neutron bomb is? It does exactly what you are wanting to do with a neutron gun...only it does it over a wide area netting you many 'Mechs to do whatever with. Dump the corpses, and boom! Whole regiments of perfectly good 'Mechs. Of courses, neither a neutron gun nor a neutron bomb would be allowed in BT for the same reason that Atomics are not allowed. Inhumane radiation, etc., etc.

#32 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 04:24 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 11 January 2015 - 03:48 PM, said:

I'm an engineer. You don't need to quote such base equations to me. The OP asked which is faster in the lore.

In lore, the PPC is a beam whose particles (which can be either protons or heavier ions, according to Sarna) are travelling at velocities that are a significant fraction of the speed of light. Let's say it moves at the speed of lightning; that's still about 2% the speed of light. 0.02 by 300,000 km/s is still 6000 km/s (or 6,000,000 m/s). In actuality, it probably moves much faster than that. Being an ion, you can electromagnetically accelerate it up to whatever you have the energy for that is less than the speed of light. And since it does kinetic damage, I'm assuming they move them faster than 2% of c.

And now allow me to blow your mind: a photon has no mass, making that macro KE equation useless. Should have 0 kinetic energy, right? Wrong. A photon is energy, and it imparts some of its energy to particles it strikes. That's why you can use light as a weapon at all. It can also be used to propel space ships, that's how the ship from Avatar got up to speed: with long-term exposure to terawatt-level lasers beamed from stations in orbit around Earth.

And do you even know what a neutron bomb is? It does exactly what you are wanting to do with a neutron gun...only it does it over a wide area netting you many 'Mechs to do whatever with. Dump the corpses, and boom! Whole regiments of perfectly good 'Mechs. Of courses, neither a neutron gun nor a neutron bomb would be allowed in BT for the same reason that Atomics are not allowed. Inhumane radiation, etc., etc.

I know a photon has no mass and is energy, but Protons and Ions do. Which means they can be put into the kinetic energy equation. Even AT the speed of light, Protons and Ions don't have the mass to impart enough energy to deal significant damage.

#33 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 05:28 PM

View PostBrody319, on 11 January 2015 - 04:24 PM, said:

I know a photon has no mass and is energy, but Protons and Ions do. Which means they can be put into the kinetic energy equation. Even AT the speed of light, Protons and Ions don't have the mass to impart enough energy to deal significant damage.

Yes they certainly do. Oh my god, yes they do. As you approach the speed of light, you grow closer to infinite mass and, therefore, infinite energy.

You also can't use the classical energy equation with it because it's moving at relativistic speeds. You have to use this one:

KE = (mc^2)/(1-(v/c)^2) - mc^2

Plug in the value for a mass of the proton, the speed of light, and for (v/c) use 0.99. The result is pitifully small, no? Add another 9 for 0.999. The value is getting larger. Keep adding another 9, and eventually your calculator will start returning "Infinity" to you because that's what you're approaching. And remember, you aren't just shooting one proton, you are shooting millions or billions of them at a time. It also doesn't have to be a proton; it can be something like a Uranium cation which is significantly more massive.

Why do you think we don't have particle weapons today? Because it takes a lot of energy to accelerate these things to the point where they become useful as weapons. The faster something is moving, the more energy it takes to accelerate it by a given amount. It's exponential.

So, yeah. Sorry, but, you are way off target here.

Edited by Yeonne Greene, 11 January 2015 - 05:29 PM.

#34 PurpleNinja

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationMIA

Posted 11 January 2015 - 05:30 PM

It's relative.

#35 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 05:34 PM

View PostPurpleNinja, on 11 January 2015 - 05:30 PM, said:

It's relative.

We have a winner, right here!

#36 Nathan Foxbane

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 08:20 PM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 11 January 2015 - 09:27 AM, said:

I'd normally say PPCs are faster, but not in a Mechwarrior. In Mechwarrior 2, the PPC shots were so slow, you could outrun them lol.

Of course if you weren't careful you may have avoided the PPC, but the terrain could take your leg off. Ah the joys of bumper 'Mechs in Firemoths or Novas. The latter for maximum jj boost derpage.

Edited by Nathan Foxbane, 11 January 2015 - 08:21 PM.

#37 Hexidecimator

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 44 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 12:36 AM

I asked my Physics teacher and he said that technically a projectile like Gauss would slow down over time, and the Particle cannon would remain at the same speed until it dissipated its charge, so in essence the PPC would be faster.

#38 Mitchell Headington

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 12:49 AM

I think the gauss would be faster because the gauss barrel is going to be riffled and the projectile would be aerodynamicly designed. The PPC wouldn't be able to use any of that so it would have much worse wind resistance.

#39 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 12 January 2015 - 02:10 AM

another opinion?

while i have read about the energy equitation - well energy is nice - but sometimes the impulse is important as well.
consider the good old example - a back of sand - and you are firing with a 9mm pistol and a arrow from a compound bow at this sack.
While maybe the 9mm has more energy - the projectile will have a hard time to punch through the sack - while its likely that the arrow will make two holes and has still enough energy after it passes the sack.

So a Gauss Slug that travels much slower won't have the energy of a couple of particles at relativistic speed.
But hey we don't know how many particles a PPC fires. On the other hand - where does those particles come from?

Important is - don't mistake a PPC for a lighting gun - simple discharge some tesla coils and look what happen?

So without any scientific backround - i would guess - a PPC fires compressed air - that is charged - and after wards propelled through a particle accelerator - and maybe this "charged accelerated air" has much slower speed than we might suspect.

So a PPC is a air gun that fires charged compressed particles - and maybe this time the PPC "ball" has some mass

#40 Apocryph0n

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Clan Exemplar
  • Clan Exemplar
  • 325 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 02:20 AM

PPC is no where near the speed of light. It's a Particle (!) Projector Cannon, not a laser.

Edit:

Should probably even be slower than AC's, since the AC bullet speeds we have in MWO are a joke, physics wise. Tho needed for balance.

Edited by Apocryph0n, 12 January 2015 - 02:22 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users