14 replies to this topic

#1 Silra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCold North

Posted 12 January 2015 - 01:29 AM

Hehloes fellow mechers!

Now I know majority out there use the night vision and thermal vision as called for, especially when playing on the night time maps (River City Night a good example).
However there are those of us who do not use them. That does not mean we're using some kind of cheat or hack to see things on those maps.

Being called cheater for not using them a few times too many over the weekend prompted this video, hopefully it clarifies things out and helps people understand what's going on if you end up back-seating me while I am playing River City Night!

#2 Sarlic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 12 January 2015 - 01:30 AM

Working as intended? The only thing i can come up with is people crossing to D2 from spawn and the enemy on B2 can snipe in the dark on people crossing. Because without nightvision you see a bit more.

Edited by Sarlic, 12 January 2015 - 01:31 AM.

#3 wOOt99

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 01:49 AM

Saw the video. You actually missed a few shots at mid to long range. Your not cheating but your basically shooting at the center of red boxes. As for moving around the city, I assume you memorized the map so you don't bump into buildings. Lets be honest here, your not actually going for weakspots here. A lot of your shots are spread across different mech parts.

I am curious how well you do if a team has full ecm coverage and are excellent snipers at 500 meters at night. I honestly dunno how well you can do at that circumstance.

For me I can pick up movement from close to mid range from the ambient light. I can technically do what you do but I would lose the ability to target specific body parts.

#4 Silra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCold North

Posted 12 January 2015 - 02:39 AM

View PostwOOt99, on 12 January 2015 - 01:49 AM, said:

Saw the video. You actually missed a few shots at mid to long range. Your not cheating but your basically shooting at the center of red boxes. As for moving around the city, I assume you memorized the map so you don't bump into buildings. Lets be honest here, your not actually going for weakspots here. A lot of your shots are spread across different mech parts.

I am curious how well you do if a team has full ecm coverage and are excellent snipers at 500 meters at night. I honestly dunno how well you can do at that circumstance.

For me I can pick up movement from close to mid range from the ambient light. I can technically do what you do but I would lose the ability to target specific body parts.

Righty, so I was talking about actually seeing the mechs to begin with. As you can clearly see on the video, the mechs are very well visible.

For moving around... playing the game enough you learn maps anyway, especially if you play a lot of light mechs like I do and thus are forced to move around to survive, but you can see the terrain pretty well without any night/thermal vision as is shown on the video.

For shooting at things... I chose this particular game because of how often I had to fire at mechs which I could not target due to the presence of ECM. No one has hundred percent accuracy even under perfect conditions and I was using lasers so damage is naturally spread over a target anyway. Personally I actually find it easier to target specific parts of a mech when they're under an ECM bubble so I am not distracted by the red triangle/dongle/box around the mech.
Yes I am firing at center mass. This is because if I don't know what condition the target's armor is at, I will default to the one location I know will destroy the enemy, the center torso.

As for sniping battles at longer ranges in the dark... can always avoid those if want to by using cover and moving around. However they're very doable. At those ranges you are basically going for center torso anyway to guarantee hits on moving targets (and if it's standing still it's doing something horribly wrong anyway) so you're firing at the center mass anyway. Not really all that more difficult.

#5 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 12 January 2015 - 03:37 AM

Switching off NV actually let me see further than the blackness beyond 700m.
Look for moving silhouette breaking the horizon and shot it.

#6 norus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 222 posts
  • LocationN.A.

Posted 12 January 2015 - 03:44 AM

It definitely is possible to see further on the dark maps WITHOUT nightvision, unfortunately this kind of bones people who have trouble seeing as well on dark maps.

#7 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 12 January 2015 - 03:48 AM

Turn brightness and contrast all the way up. Now I am the goddamn Batman!

#8 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,970 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 12 January 2015 - 03:52 AM

I switch back and forth for long range I don't use night vision for short range the night vision gets turned on

There is also a certain few people that have super excellent night vision
Not sure if it would work on a video game but I do know it exists
I read about it in a Book I think it was war patrols of the USS Bowfin

#9 wOOt99

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 04:06 AM

You also have to take into account video settings and graphics card. For me, with Nightvision I can pick up moving shadows at 750+ ranges. I can pick up distinct features like catapult's ears or atlas round head. My issue is at those ranges and that shadowy nature I dunno how much his mech is angled. I can hit his/her torso but I can't be sure if it is left/right/center.

Its like any video game, I have seen some people intentionally play FPS on low settings because on high settings more graphical assets are rendered like shadows, sun glare, and etc....

#10 Rehl

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 73 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 04:12 AM

Good for you, Silra - if that's how you dig the game, keep it up! I think I'm too used to using night/thermal to try switching to just regular vision. I'd be afraid that I'd miss something. Hats off to you for doing without them.

As an aside, where is your accent from, if you don't mind my asking?

#11 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 10:13 AM

remember when you didn't need to mess with gamma settings on the monitor and the in game gamma settings did stuff?

#12 occusoj

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 452 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 11:10 AM

Just crank up contrast and brightness to the max.
Works well, you see mechs perfectly fine without NV.
And dull daymaps gain a lot from just bumping contrast up.

Display settings OP.

#13 Mercules

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 5,136 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 12 January 2015 - 11:51 AM

I switch between NV/Normal/Thermal on maps like that. It depends on the vision conditions. I see a lot of people switch to a vision mode and never turn it off. Then they are shocked when someone can see them beyond the scope of that vision.

#14 Agent 0 Fortune

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 12:16 PM

It makes me wonder why PGI even bothers with dark maps. Half the replies in this thread are about ways to circumvent that map feature.

#15 topgun505

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,625 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationOhio

Posted 12 January 2015 - 12:43 PM

In air to air combat, the one that kills you is most often the one you never saw to begin with.

Considering I know from experience how dangerous an ECM light like my Pirates Bane can be if it gets behind you, I don't risk it. I have night vision on for maneuvering and switch to thermal for combat and only switch those modes off if I want to try and see further than 750. Thank goodness for the Nostromo pad and all those buttons.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users