Orion K Quirk

28 replies to this topic

#1 Angels Bane

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 75 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 09:37 AM

the orion k quirk should be changed from the uac5 to the ac10 for 2 reasons. 1- the ac10 is a very good gun for the orion, and out of 6 orions, not 1 of them has an ac10 quirk. 2- while the uac5 is one of my fav weapons, its propensity to jam on the first shot FOUR TIMES IN A ROW, makes it a rediculous weapon choice for a mech with only 1 ballistics slot.

#2 Wolfwood592

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 505 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationColumbia, SC

Posted 12 January 2015 - 09:39 AM

I love using the UAC5 on the K. I have had some issues with jamming, but none more so than any other mech boating a UAC5

Double tapping goodness with faster reload is IMO much better than the AC10

#3 Gaius Cavadus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 404 posts
  • LocationNova Roma, Alphard

Posted 12 January 2015 - 09:51 AM

View PostWolfwood592, on 12 January 2015 - 09:39 AM, said:

Which is why the K should have some AC-10 quirk love. It's the weapon the mech was built to have, after all.

#4 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 12 January 2015 - 09:53 AM

View PostAngels Bane, on 12 January 2015 - 09:37 AM, said:

the orion k quirk should be changed from the uac5 to the ac10 for 2 reasons. 1- the ac10 is a very good gun for the orion, and out of 6 orions, not 1 of them has an ac10 quirk. 2- while the uac5 is one of my fav weapons, its propensity to jam on the first shot FOUR TIMES IN A ROW, makes it a rediculous weapon choice for a mech with only 1 ballistics slot.

All mechs "specialized" quirks should be based off the stock loadout, period, not just the ON1-K.

Those are what the mech is engineered to do best.

None of the Orion comes with AC5s, UACs or AC20s, so none should have specialized quirks around those. Those are covered in the general "base tier" of quirks. All should have ac10 (or gauss/LB-X on appropriate builds) quirks, with various LRM or SRM quirks being the weapon differentiation.

#5 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 12 January 2015 - 10:09 AM

As the Orion was often a command mech, and was Alexander Kerensky's ride of choice, I think better quirks would be for sensor range and target info gathering.

#6 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 10:15 AM

View PostEscef, on 12 January 2015 - 10:09 AM, said:

As the Orion was often a command mech, and was Alexander Kerensky's ride of choice, I think better quirks would be for sensor range and target info gathering.

thing is, it was never designed as a command mech. (In fact, only really can think of 2 instances it was one, and in both cases, it was supposedly the same mech.... Kerensky and Theodore Kurita)

It's a "line mech" or trooper, like the Centurion.

#7 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 12 January 2015 - 10:29 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 12 January 2015 - 10:15 AM, said:

thing is, it was never designed as a command mech. (In fact, only really can think of 2 instances it was one, and in both cases, it was supposedly the same mech.... Kerensky and Theodore Kurita)

It's a "line mech" or trooper, like the Centurion.

Fair enough, I suppose. Still, the only other mech we have that's generally thought of as a command mech is the Atlas, which already has some nice module slot action going on. Maybe giving these buffs to the Cyclops when it hits would be good?

#8 Apnu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,083 posts
  • LocationMidWest

Posted 12 January 2015 - 10:32 AM

View PostEscef, on 12 January 2015 - 10:29 AM, said:

Fair enough, I suppose. Still, the only other mech we have that's generally thought of as a command mech is the Atlas, which already has some nice module slot action going on. Maybe giving these buffs to the Cyclops when it hits would be good?

Cyclops is "the" command mech from the 3025 TRO.

#9 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 12 January 2015 - 10:36 AM

View PostApnu, on 12 January 2015 - 10:32 AM, said:

Cyclops is "the" command mech from the 3025 TRO.

That and the fact that PGI has already confirmed that they plan on adding it (when is the big question) is why I suggested it.

#10 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 12 January 2015 - 10:41 AM

It's actually the most common dual-cockpit (read: command console) 'Mech in Marik space.

And yes, there's a lot of quirks that make absolutely zero sense. Quirks should make the weapons a 'Mech was built with function better, not seemingly random ones based on FOTM builds.

I mean, the -K has a quirk for a weapon that didn't even exist when it was built!

#11 Ultimax

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 10:44 AM

It's my understanding that Orion quirks are being completely revamped.

#12 TripleEhBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 700 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 12 January 2015 - 10:51 AM

View PostWolfwood592, on 12 January 2015 - 09:39 AM, said:

I love using the UAC5 on the K. I have had some issues with jamming, but none more so than any other mech boating a UAC5

With the right quirks and modules an AC10 can be made into a "poor man's Ultra". See a module'd out Hunchback 4H with its 1.6 cooldown.

#13 TripleEhBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 700 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 12 January 2015 - 10:55 AM

View PostUltimatum X, on 12 January 2015 - 10:44 AM, said:

It's my understanding that Orion quirks are being completely revamped.

Hope they keep the AC20 ones for the VA. All it needs is to swap the SRM6 quirks for SRM4s and it's set as a pocket Atlas. Though I personally run a bunch of streaks on mine to splatter any light mech that gets too close.

But the Protector and V definitely need a pass. Gauss+PPC quirks for the Protector, and big LRM launcher quirks for the V. Why it has LRM5 quirks I have no idea...

#14 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 11:27 AM

View PostTripleEhBeef, on 12 January 2015 - 10:55 AM, said:

Hope they keep the AC20 ones for the VA. All it needs is to swap the SRM6 quirks for SRM4s and it's set as a pocket Atlas. Though I personally run a bunch of streaks on mine to splatter any light mech that gets too close.

But the Protector and V definitely need a pass. Gauss+PPC quirks for the Protector, and big LRM launcher quirks for the V. Why it has LRM5 quirks I have no idea...

pass thanks, they need consistency. Specialty quirks for stock armaments is the best most consistent way. Yeah it messes with some peoples pet builds, but pet builds and "metamechs" is what got the quirks so jacked up in the first place.

Interestingly, and oddly, no 3025 era Heavies really packed ac20s stock (they were pretty uncommon, period). Always did wonder about that oversight though.

#15 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 12 January 2015 - 11:40 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 12 January 2015 - 11:27 AM, said:

Interestingly, and oddly, no 3025 era Heavies really packed ac20s stock (they were pretty uncommon, period). Always did wonder about that oversight though.

IIRC, the original TRO3025 had the following for AC20 carriers: UM-R60L, CN9-AH, HBK-4G, Victors (VTR-9A, 9B, and 9S), CP-10-Z, and the AS7-D. (Late Succession Wars also saw the CGR-1A5.)

#16 BarHaid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,069 posts
  • LocationMid-Cascadia

Posted 12 January 2015 - 12:26 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 12 January 2015 - 11:27 AM, said:

That is a weird oversight. Looking at my old TRO, the closest we get is Hanse Davion toying with Riflemen builds; dropping the large lasers for "heavier" autocannons.

#17 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 12 January 2015 - 12:27 PM

View PostBarHaid, on 12 January 2015 - 12:26 PM, said:

That is a weird oversight. Looking at my old TRO, the closest we get is Hanse Davion toying with Riflemen builds; dropping the large lasers for "heavier" autocannons.

Those were twin AC10s. Runs shockingly cool for a Rifleman.

#18 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 12:51 PM

View PostBarHaid, on 12 January 2015 - 12:26 PM, said:

which are 2 ac10. That is the RFL-3C

View PostEscef, on 12 January 2015 - 12:27 PM, said:

Those were twin AC10s. Runs shockingly cool for a Rifleman.

nearly no ammo though,. lol. Works a lot better on the Jagermech chassis. Allows 1.5 tons more armor and an extra ton of ac ammo

View PostEscef, on 12 January 2015 - 11:40 AM, said:

IIRC, the original TRO3025 had the following for AC20 carriers: UM-R60L, CN9-AH, HBK-4G, Victors (VTR-9A, 9B, and 9S), CP-10-Z, and the AS7-D. (Late Succession Wars also saw the CGR-1A5.)

yup.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 12 January 2015 - 12:54 PM.

#19 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 01:11 PM

The problem you run into is when the stock armament is a joke/effectively nonexistent (read: any/all Cicadas, any ballistics-centered Blackjack, the entire canonical function of the Firestarter, others). Sometimes Piranha has to go off the metamech/popular-opinion builds for a given machine because the stock loadout is pretty much DOA. Or, as in the case of the Firestarter, the function of the original stock build is literally impossible in MWO.

That said, it is very strange that not a single Orion gets AC/10 quirks. Single UAC/5s have always been a bad idea, whereas I’ve had plenty of success with single AC/10s before. Seems bizarre that the ‘Mech’s signature weapon would be left untouched in favor of possibly the most awkwardly random choice to be made on a 1B ‘Mech short of machine gun buffs.

#20 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 12 January 2015 - 01:18 PM

For that matter, you don't see any TRO 2750 heavy designs with AC/20's.

The first FASA-era heavy to field an AC/20 in terms of publishing is the Axman in TRO 3050. Chronologically speaking, the Shootist predates it by centuries, though it was published later on.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users