Thought Experiment: Alt To Ghost Heat

General

25 replies to this topic

#21 LordKnightFandragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 08:55 AM

Alternate to Ghost Heat, since this game has taken a turn down Teletubbie lane and diverted largely from TT values, there is no need to strictly stick to TT lore or anything of the sort of an alternate....

60 pt universal heat scale, progressive heat penalities for staying above certain heat levels.

30(50%) Heat and below you suffer no adverse effects.
IE: 31 heat, you suffer 10% Acceleration loss, nothing to amazingly serious, unless your a light.
45Heat, your targeting acqusition is 50% slower and lockons with missiles are 25% slower to attain
50heat your hud and anything such as a NARC/BAP/ECM ceases to function, you are unable to attain a lock of any kind.
55 heat, you suffer 0.25pts of core damage per second your at or over 55 heat.
60 Heat, you suffer 1pt of core damage per second you are at or over 60heat

We can cry about how it limits certain builds or w/e arguements we might come up with. Sure, it wont "prevent" people from wanting to lolpha alot, but it will......persuade you not to do so.. With the next idea, you will basically be more or less forced into firing less all at once.

Next, you can fire no more then 4 weapons from any single fire group, and the Alpha can be no higher then 30. So, a NVA Prime, it has 12 CERML, it can group them into 2 groups of 6, but the game will not fire more then 4 at a time, limiting you to a 28pt alpha. A Warhawk with 4 LPL, it can fire no more then 2, limiting it to a 26pt alpha. And so on, yes, it would be alot of maths and stuff...ofc, it also helps you to manage heat better, firing 4 ERMLs is would be nearly 50% of the 60pt heat scale. Sure, you can fire again, if you want to be at 48 heat and suffering hte cumulative effects of that high of heat. A Weapon like the CERPPC, it can become a 15/15 weapon, as sure, you now have an unlimited ammo GR, but firing it even 2 times will get you near to starting to incur heat effects. firing 3 then 4 would just screw you a bit.

Gauss and PPC can not be fired together or be in the same fire group. Prevents the whole QQ about the entire situation.

THis would give validity to lower scale weapons like maybe Small lasers, as you get much higher sustainability with them, your able to maintain a better RoF over a larger weapon. While your SL can only fire up to 4 at a time, and deal only 4dmg per, up to an alpha of 16, you are also only incurring 12 heat, vs some 24 for even the next one above it, the MLs. So in the long run, you can out DPS larger weapons.

Ballistics would have a nice niche of being low heat and ready to fire almost always, vs energy builds that run hot, but dont run on ammo...basically how it should be. Maybe in the course of a 15 minute TDM it wont matter on the ammo side of hte house, but in CW, I have seen people QQ about how they dont have the ammo to keep on keepin on and are forced to eject from a mostly fine mech. that is where energy weapons and a more balanced loadout would come in handy. Want to pack in those 2 GRs? You ready to to 4 rounds with the enemy on your 50 rounds? Or would you rather pack in a Pair of Large Lasers and maybe an AC5 or something.

Finally, we can get true 2.0 DHS.

Edited by LordKnightFandragon, 13 January 2015 - 08:58 AM.

#22 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 13 January 2015 - 09:13 AM

If I were PGI I would have the weapons and DHS function exactly as in Battle Tech and then just increase the Mech's Armor and Structure strength until gameplay was optimal. Just inform players that these are the new armor values and base them off Battle Tech as well.

The reason is that a MechWarrior Sim has to simulate the Roleplay world described in Battle Tech and MWO does not now.

MWO's de-synced Gauss Rifle is a 3rd Person Shooter sniper rifle (literally) and Battle Tech has no Mech sniper rifle. If Battle Tech did have one it would weigh 20-25 tons and do 25 damage at 600 meters. As a consequence the MWO apocryphal Gauss/Sniper Rifle is used almost entirely in a 2xGauss configuration to justify the ludicrous difficulty in using one. In Battle Tech just a few assault mechs carried 2xGauss, not 65 ton heavies. The Gauss Rifle is the lowest damage/ton weapon in Battle Tech so it would be easily balanced by just giving it a 6 second recycle compared to the AC20 class's 4 second recycle. This has always worked in the past and MWO would end up with two tactically correct weapon systems, Gauss or AC/UAC types. The Gauss is for stand-off ranged combat, but the AC/UAC overpowers it in any brawl. That is how Battle Tech has the two balanced and it does work.

In short MWO's Gauss de-sync was just to remove it from the average player's load-out, get it out of the game. I would be fine if they made a sub-rule stating it can't be fired with a PPC rather than the ludicrous Mouse-Only de-sync (which uses the Mouse's drag-and-drop function movement). Please get rid of the 3rd-person-shooter sniper rifle de-sync and restore Battle Tech's Gauss Rifle.

Ghost heat serves the same purpose as the de-sync. It's less of an issue, but no other MechWarrior game required it so I am sure some Battle Tech alligned alternate balance method is easily applicable.

However it all comes down to PGI's choice to weaken all weapons unsuccessfully over just making the Mechs tough enough to use the Battle Tech correct roleplay. If MWO is a Battle Tech Sim, then you don't touch how things are stated to work. You make the Mechs adapt to how the weapons are stated to work.

#23 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 09:48 AM

Actually, a number of mechs carried Gauss Rifles, not just Assaults. Several Clan mechs carried them. The Mad Dog C I think it was, it was built around 2. The Hellbringer carries 1 and I know I read somewhere that even the Kitfox was one of the first Lights to work a Gauss Rifles into it's build. one of the variants has one...I think. Also, the Summoner carries some as well.

#24 D34DMetal

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 134 posts
  • Locationin a Mad Cat duh...

Posted 13 January 2015 - 10:43 AM

What if the more heat a given mech has, the more time it takes for weapon to properly converge?

#25 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 13 January 2015 - 09:07 PM

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 13 January 2015 - 09:48 AM, said:

Actually, a number of mechs carried Gauss Rifles, not just Assaults. Several Clan mechs carried them. The Mad Dog C I think it was, it was built around 2. The Hellbringer carries 1 and I know I read somewhere that even the Kitfox was one of the first Lights to work a Gauss Rifles into it's build. one of the variants has one...I think. Also, the Summoner carries some as well.

Forgot about the Mad Dog C, I guess PGI did too. point is I rarely see just one Gauss on a mech and if they have one they don't use it. There is no reason for the difficult De-sync from a Mouse-Shooter on the Gauss except to cull the numbers in use by players. If you don't want it fired with PPCs, just do that PGI.

#26 Burktross

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 14 January 2015 - 04:34 PM

rest in pepperoni hbk 4p

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users