Open Letter To Russ Bullock Irt Town Hall 1

61 replies to this topic

#1 Jack Jumper

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 06:52 AM

I am one of the people who initially spent a lot more on MWO than a traditionall AAA game... and I eventually became disgruntled enough to stop playing.

I would like to support you guys again.

When I heard PGI had disentangled themselves from their publisher, I was cautiously optimistic. When I heard community warfare had come out, I thought; "Hey, maybe it's time to give MWO another chance!"

So the first thing I did was start watching the "Town Halls" on youtube to see what would be changing. The second thing was to patch and play MWO.

A while ago, I was one of the people who said;"You broke the trust, I am out." In the September Townhall you seemed sincere in wanting to address the concerns of players like me who had quit, so here is some feedback if you want it:

1) Real world money *cannot* be allowed to purchase combat advantages. Specifically consumables, hard point configurations, and advantageous Hit Box proportioning. I feel very uncomfortable with the idea of supporting a "pay-to-win" paradigm, even if it is relatively subtle and oft denied.

Somehow, games like TF2 and Starcraft have managed to endure without requiring real-world currency for players to remain competitive. I am sure you can find a way too. Players in all games have traditionally supported cosmetic in-game purchases and real world knick-knacks. I suggest you look more in that direction for income.

2) Ghost Heat/Heat Scaling needs to be replaced with a more rational solution.
You maintain that players don't like high-burst damage. I disagree, but regardless you can more appropriately control burst damage with any and all of the following:
a. Reticle jitter
b. Micro second(s) delay between weapons fire even on alpha strikes (combined with a robust recoil mechanic.)
c. Implement movement, accuracy, and ammo explosion penalties for increasing heat levels (which is how table top managed this problem for the last 30+ years)

3) Reduce the number of mouse-clicks and unneccessary delays outside of combat.
The ready button and the timed delay before matches needs to go away. The UI needs to be reverted to what we had in beta, or at least streamlined to reduce the seemingly excessive number of mouse clicks required to navigate from one section to another.

4) Be Honest.
The people who play Battletech mostly have degrees in things like Accounting, Chemistry, and Engineering. We jigger numbers, analyze other guys' jiggered numbers, and predict trends from questionable data for a living. We're not dumb.

It's ok to tell us you moved into "maintenance mode" shortly after the beta went public. It's ok to have made an insane profit on a half-complete project. It's ok for you to buy a nice boat, or a plane. It's even ok to admit you are using our money to support your other projects. That's *your* money, we gave it to you in exchange for a product you have (mostly) provided. Whether it was a good investment or not is a matter of karma for everyone involved.

...However, and this is something EA still hasn't grasped yet:

If you want customers to continue to support your ability to acquire boats, planes, and new projects, you need to treat them with respect and provide the product they want.

A F2P model makes you particularly vulnerable to customer dissatisfaction - no one is going to give you money if they don't like what you are doing to what was a pretty nice game in beta.

A widespread desire to implement the four "fixes" listed above has overwhelmingly (and stridently) been documented in your own forums and on reddit. Especially by the men who pay your bills.

Implementing those fixes is a non-negotiable requirement if you wish to have our continued support... in this game, or in any other you might ever produce.

Edited by Jack Jumper, 14 January 2015 - 06:53 AM.

#2 627

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 07:01 AM

View PostJack Jumper, on 14 January 2015 - 06:52 AM, said:

I am one of the people who initially spent a lot more on MWO than a traditionall AAA game... and I eventually became disgruntled enough to stop playing.

Posted Image

Edited by 627, 14 January 2015 - 07:04 AM.

#3 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 14 January 2015 - 07:16 AM

A widespread desire to implement the four "fixes" listed above has overwhelmingly (and stridently) been documented in your own forums and on reddit. Especially by the men who pay your bills.

Implementing those fixes is a non-negotiable requirement if you wish to have our continued support... in this game, or in any other you might ever produce.

What the hell? "We"?

I like how you're threatening to withhold all our support for other games PGI may create just because you have 4 extremely questionable *demands*. Sorry, but it doesn't work that way. You're just a customer, not the head of the MWO Player Union.

Edited by Heffay, 14 January 2015 - 07:17 AM.

#4 Ratpoison

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 851 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 07:24 AM

All that entitlement. I sure hope they ignore whiners with unreasonable "demands" like this in favor of actual questions.

#5 MarineTech

• The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 2,969 posts
  • LocationRunning rampant in K-Town

Posted 14 January 2015 - 07:32 AM

Ditto to Heffay.

I'm a part of "we" and I do not feel the OP represents my views in his post.

#6 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 14 January 2015 - 07:34 AM

I don't think #1 applies to this game, those consumables area all available via CBills.

#2 and #3 are completely valid

I don't even know what #4 is trying to say

#7 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 14 January 2015 - 07:40 AM

View PostCapperDeluxe, on 14 January 2015 - 07:34 AM, said:

I don't even know what #4 is trying to say

I think he wants to convert the game to a subscription model.

#8 Mercules

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 5,136 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 14 January 2015 - 07:42 AM

#1 = Not a concern. Buying a hero mech doesn't change the geometry of the mech or it's hitboxes. Everything else will eventually, if not already, be able to be bought with C-bills. Paying for early access to content is fine.

#2 = Yup... Another fix is to remove convergence then it doesn't matter if you unload 4 PPCs since they won't all hit the same section of the mech and some might not even hit the mech.

#3 = Eh.... big F'n deal. Finding a lost module is a pain but otherwise it isn't horrible. UI isn't great mind you, but it's not unusable either.

#4 = :rolleyes:

#9 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 14 January 2015 - 07:42 AM

View PostHeffay, on 14 January 2015 - 07:40 AM, said:

I think he wants to convert the game to a subscription model.

Subscription models don't work for small population games like MWO. Of course I think they should give the option to pay a subscription to get more in return than just premium time (like how in Planetside 2 you also get a stipend of $10 worth of SC each month while subscribed).

#10 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 07:45 AM

Yeah, I agree with 2 and 3.

This game could use things like Recoil on a Gauss Rifle and PPC, some degree of Deviation when we fire a mass of weapons all at once. Maybe not as severe as WoT or Battlefield 2, but maybe more like Planetside 2, but at a faster rate. And if you fire like x# of weapons it blooms more and more. We already have some deviation on weapons like LBX. If we got a sort of LBX effect when we fire like 8 lasers all at once, I think that would help all the Anti-PPFLD guys. It would also increase TTK a bit, as not everything would land center mass. it would encourage more chain firing and smaller group firing.

Recoil on the PPC and Gauss Rifle, paired with the LBX effect if we fired more then 1 at a time could cut down on the QQ about a 15 dmg CERPPC, as firing 9 would not only blow you up, but you would prolly miss with most of them. Then we could have nice things......

The UI, its clunky, it could use a few improvements and yeah, all the hundreds more clicks then it should really take to configure a mech, and move on to another one. WHy cant we have a mechlab more akin to MW4. that one I kinda liked actually. Everything just on one page and a few tabs, weapons sorted by type, class and size.

Edited by LordKnightFandragon, 14 January 2015 - 07:47 AM.

#11 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 14 January 2015 - 08:04 AM

View PostCapperDeluxe, on 14 January 2015 - 07:42 AM, said:

Of course I think they should give the option to pay a subscription to get more in return than just premium time (like how in Planetside 2 you also get a stipend of $10 worth of SC each month while subscribed).

That would actually be pretty nice. $10/month of might be a bit high, since that would be 2/3rds of the cost of premium time right there. But maybe a color or a camo a month, or something similar. Heck, even a weapon module would be nice. Give people a reason to run premium time even if they know it's going to be a light month as far as game play time.

#12 Greenjulius

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,319 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 14 January 2015 - 08:12 AM

He has some good points, so it would be ignorant to pass them all off. However, I don't agree with all of them.

1.) As for P2W mechs and hardpoints, there is no current hero mech that is considered to be the best mech in the game. They are mostly on par or worse than other variants. The Dragon Slayer used to be the meta, but fell out of favor with PPC nerfs. The closest to P2W would be the Timber Wolf, but it's available for C-bills, albeit a lot of them. Not as much as they COULD have charged however. Canon values would have put it over 20 million c-bills. PGI was merciful with clan c-bill costs fortunately, and scaled with with the cost that most IS mechs come out to after DHS / Endo / FF and XL engine costs are figured in.

As for consumables, I can agree with this. I hate them and wish they'd go away forever. However, this is a F2P game, and this is one of those necessary annoyances that comes with the model.

2.) Ghost Heat - I agree that most weapons have poor implementation of ghost heat, and that another solution would be ideal. I'm especially against ballistic weapons having it, as tonnage and limited ammunition should be enough to discourage boating ballistics.

3.) The UI is in need of improvements and Russ stated that it's going to be getting some soon. I believe this was stated in the most recent townhall?

4.) I think PGI has been awfully honest lately. I think their hands were tied by IGP more than we realized, and it seemed to make them a bit lazy as a result. Since the split, they seem like a completely different beast, and I'm much happier as a result.

Edited by Greenjulius, 14 January 2015 - 08:15 AM.

#13 Jack Jumper

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 08:16 AM

View PostHeffay, on 14 January 2015 - 07:16 AM, said:

What the hell? "We"?

I like how you're threatening to withhold all our support for other games PGI may create just because you have 4 extremely questionable *demands*. Sorry, but it doesn't work that way. You're just a customer, not the head of the MWO Player Union.

We, the guys who quit MWO.

We, the guys Russ Bullock specifically asked for input from in his Town Hall.

We, the guys he would like to come back.

We. the guys who want to come back.

I am not claiming to be head of the player's union, but I do claim to represent the paying customers who left.

Don't think of them as demands - Russ specifically mentioned "voting with your money" in the Town Hall.

Well this is how I vote with my money:

When a company does not provide a service I have an interest in, I do not give them money.

If a company makes a false claim to get my money, or changes its product after receiving my money, I boycott them for life.

Take EA for example. They haven't gotten a dime from me since C&C4. They might not care, but if enough other guys do the same, someday they will die off and maybe something better will take their place.

Legitimately or not, I am happy to lay all the blame at IGP's feet and give Russ and the rest of PGI the benefit of the doubt. This is a second chance to get things right.

Fixing the four items I mentioned would bring me back into the fold, and probably a lot of other paying customers too.

Edited by Jack Jumper, 14 January 2015 - 08:19 AM.

#14 Bluefalcon13

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 355 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 14 January 2015 - 08:29 AM

I tweeted this link to Russ. I think you do have some very good points with 2 & 3. I think 1 is not really a major issue, and 4 is not an issue since the split.

#15 Xythius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 343 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 08:38 AM

Well, you might as well stay away then, because of the four things you mentioned, only one is likely to be implemented - the UI. Russ has mentioned that it will be receiving some love sometime this year.

There is no 'P2W' geometry, 'mechs, weapons or consumables. Not even sure how you came to this kind of conclusion. With the exception of Hero 'mechs - which have already been stated to be more or less on par with their non-hero counterparts - everything is available for c-bills.

The heat system we have is not going anywhere either. Yes, most of us would be happy to see the heat scale from TT implemented, but in order to do that, a massive overhaul of the game mechanics would have to be done and that is simply unlikely to happen at this point. Far too much resources would be consumed while they are still actively working on CW and other avenues of the game.

I'm not even sure what you are asking for in your final paragraph..?

In short - this is the game we have and likely the game we are going to continue to have.

#16 Jack Jumper

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 08:39 AM

View PostBluefalcon13, on 14 January 2015 - 08:29 AM, said:

I tweeted this link to Russ. I think you do have some very good points with 2 & 3. I think 1 is not really a major issue, and 4 is not an issue since the split.

That seems to be the general consensus.

I suppose I could live with that :)

#17 MarineTech

• The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 2,969 posts
  • LocationRunning rampant in K-Town

Posted 14 January 2015 - 08:52 AM

View PostJack Jumper, on 14 January 2015 - 08:16 AM, said:

We, the guys who quit MWO.

Ohhhhhhhh. THAT "we".

You mean "we the guys that decided to qq and take our footballs and go home, instead of sticking around to tough it out and actually try to sway decisions with comprehensive and rational discussion, suggestions, and feedback."

Gotcha.

I'm not that "we".

#18 Basskicker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Posted 14 January 2015 - 09:03 AM

View PostMarineTech, on 14 January 2015 - 08:52 AM, said:

Ohhhhhhhh. THAT "we".

You mean "we the guys that decided to qq and take our footballs and go home, instead of sticking around to tough it out and actually try to sway decisions with comprehensive and rational discussion, suggestions, and feedback."

Gotcha.

I'm not that "we".

Guy says he wants to come back and give MWO a try again and names some concerns he has... White Knights come in and blast him for having an opinion.... facepalm. GG Close

#19 Pika

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 568 posts
  • LocationLiverpool, UK

Posted 14 January 2015 - 09:32 AM

And I think your time would be better spent doing the latter than reading this drivel.

View PostBasskicker, on 14 January 2015 - 09:03 AM, said:

Guy says he wants to come back and give MWO a try again and names some concerns he has... White Knights come in and blast him for having an opinion.... facepalm. GG Close

And if they were voiced like concerns rather than demands from a jilted Ex we might have a discussion. Only one of these points is even remotely valid.

Edited by Marvyn Dodgers, 14 January 2015 - 04:49 PM.
Deleting unconstructive quote

#20 Pika

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 568 posts
  • LocationLiverpool, UK

Posted 14 January 2015 - 09:36 AM

4) Be Honest.
The people who play Battletech mostly have degrees in things like Accounting, Chemistry, and Engineering. We jigger numbers, analyze other guys' jiggered numbers, and predict trends from questionable data for a living. We're not dumb.

So do people who chose to play WoW, or BF4 or Planetside or LoL or DotA. Your choice of hobbies does not make your opinion any more valid.

EDIT: Doh, can someone merge this with the last post plz? Thanks.

Edited by Pika, 14 January 2015 - 09:39 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users