Gargoyle Is Such A Piece!

67 replies to this topic

#1 DjPush

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 03:24 PM

I have tried very hard to make this mech work. Wuboyle's, 2LP 4ML and every other build under the sun. This thing is just a waste of a mech bay. Cored in seconds or I lose my arms and am useless in the first 5 minutes of the match.

Anyone having any luck with it?

#2 Brody319

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 03:29 PM

I love it.

#3 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 14 January 2015 - 03:31 PM

It would be at least a bit better if it was counted as Large instead of Huge for hill climbing purposes...

#4 Asyres

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 03:33 PM

I've been running 6ERML 1LPL on the Prime. It works. I don't know how or why it works (it shouldn't), but it works.

But then again, I've found that some of my mechs are seemingly blessed, and others are cursed. My Gargoyle Prime is blessed. My Stormcrow C, on the other hand, has the exact same loadout as my SCR Prime, and less than one third of the kdr. I can't explain that either.

#5 Xythius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 343 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 03:34 PM

Not so much. I've played several matches in them since their intro, and like you, couldn't really find anything terribly fantastic.

They've been stripped & shelved, until such time as Clans get a 'real' quirk pass, or PGI finally figures out the 'locked internals for balance' isn't really working and relents, or both.

I actually feel my Summoners are better 'mechs.

Summoners.

#6 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 14 January 2015 - 03:38 PM

The only suggestions I have are the following:

1) Build a better "Stormcrow" - Anything the Stormcrow can do, the Gargoyle can do better (unless it involves lots of missiles). That's the baseline of how you should build it.

2) Try building "close" to a Hellbringer - Anything you can build on a energy heavy "laservomit" Hellbringer (with the occasional ballistic) can be accomplished on a Gargoyle. It just won't have ECM or favorable firing locations.

3) DO NOT try to build anything resembling a Timberwolf - You will overheat and die more often. You don't even get JJs, so don't bother.

Just expect to brawl give your hardpoints... so being heat efficient helps a lot more than sheer DPS/firepower/alpha.

Edited by Deathlike, 14 January 2015 - 03:40 PM.

#7 Ripper X

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 343 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 14 January 2015 - 03:39 PM

It is really not a good mech at all. Far better choices are the Timberwolf at 75 tons or the Warhawk at 85 tons. Sure it is fast for an assault but a Timby would eat it for breakfast.

#8 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 14 January 2015 - 03:45 PM

Me, every time I encounter a Gargoyle

Spoiler

#9 Brody319

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 03:48 PM

Here is my list of builds

#10 Roadkill

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 03:51 PM

6 medium pulse lasers seemed to work pretty well for me. No, it's not great. Yes, you can do that (better) on smaller Mechs. But it worked well enough to get me through unlocking the master slot, and that's all I really needed.

You do have to forget that you're in an Assault Mech. Because you aren't. You're in a fat, sluggish medium. Play it like that and you'll do fine. (Read: be sneaky and use your speed to hit and run.)

#11 Asyres

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 03:51 PM

I'll admit to having a strange affection for the Gargoyle, even with its weird, get-the-epi-pen face. I think it's just that part of me likes terrible and broken things.

#12 wOOt99

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 03:57 PM

I like shooting at Gargoyles, does that count?

#13 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 14 January 2015 - 04:20 PM

Poor Gargoyle; ton for ton it's one of the very worst clan mechs.

#14 Kain Demos

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 14 January 2015 - 04:48 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 14 January 2015 - 04:20 PM, said:

Poor Gargoyle; ton for ton it's one of the very worst clan mechs.

I made a heat neutral 8 SPL 28 DHS build that outbrawls just about anything.

The downside is 182m range--some maps this can be a death sentence others it doesn't matter (its good on Viridian Bog like 12 SPL Nova).

#15 Kain Demos

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 14 January 2015 - 04:53 PM

In the larger picture it isn't too different in terms of pod space than the Summoner or Hellbringer (if you take ECM, then identical) but when you compare it to the two mechs within 5 tons of it......OUCH.

Max armor (or close, nearest whole number) and DHS normalized to 16:

Dire Wolf: 50 tons
Warhawk: 37 tons
Gargoyle: 20 tons
Timberwolf: 27 tons
Summoner: 19 tons
Hellbringer: 20 tons (with ECM)
Mad Dog: 22 tons
Stormcrow: 17 tons

#16 Tahribator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 05:02 PM

I have never felt threatened by them. It's just a bad design, there's no way around that. It's probably best to leave them alone until they get quirks.

#17 Rokuzachi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 511 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 05:07 PM

I don't drive them, just fight them. The few successful ones I've seen tend to enter the fray after people are thoroughly engaged and likely tunnel-visioned. Coming across one/facing one head on isn't a very frightening prospect, but a a ninja anything that knows when to strike can be scary.

#18 Asyres

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 05:11 PM

View PostRokuzachi, on 14 January 2015 - 05:07 PM, said:

I don't drive them, just fight them. The few successful ones I've seen tend to enter the fray after people are thoroughly engaged and likely tunnel-visioned. Coming across one/facing one head on isn't a very frightening prospect, but a a ninja anything that knows when to strike can be scary.

Which can be said of any decent medium. "The Gargoyle is roughly as threatening as a mech 25-30t lighter" is not exactly ringing praise.

#19 Black Arachne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 05:19 PM

The Man O War is a cheap assault - a mech filler in TT. It was a fast moving sponge that most people ignored until the end. You could field almost 2 of them for 1 Timberwolf. So, yeah it needs help - like losing that 400xl.

Edited by Black Arachne, 14 January 2015 - 05:21 PM.

#20 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 14 January 2015 - 05:24 PM

View PostDjPush, on 14 January 2015 - 03:24 PM, said:

I have tried very hard to make this mech work. Wuboyle's, 2LP 4ML and every other build under the sun. This thing is just a waste of a mech bay. Cored in seconds or I lose my arms and am useless in the first 5 minutes of the match.

Anyone having any luck with it?

I enjoy mine, but admit it's mostly a "fun" mech.

It needs it's hillclimb profile lowered, as noted, and honestly, it needs endo, real bad. It and my Summoner are the poster children for the Omni/Endo Initiative.

View PostBlack Arachne, on 14 January 2015 - 05:19 PM, said:

The Man O War is a cheap assault - a mech filler in TT. It was a fast moving sponge that most people ignored until the end. You could field almost 2 of them for 1 Timberwolf. So, yeah it needs help - like losing that 400xl.

Nope, just needs 4 more tons to play with and it could do wonders.....that and not moving like a geriatric any time it sees a slope.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users