6 replies to this topic

#1 ACWILD

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 101 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 05:28 PM

Hi everybody from a fresh newbie.

Can i ask to some of the experienced players how to resist to more than two hits?

I have read some suggestion about the right mech to start with and i have got a brand new cataphract 3d.
Nice mech, i like it but it cannot stand more than 3 or 4 hits from other mechs before going to the ground.
May i ask some indications on how to make it a more suitable mech for a fight?
Also i don't seem able to deliver more than 35/40 damage for battle before someone shuts me down.
Any advice on this issue too?

I have tryed to look for some good build on the net but i did not find anything, also my c-bills are growing VERY slowly with this mech so i cannot afford a real customization for now.

Thank you
Alex.

Edited by Centurion72, 14 January 2015 - 05:29 PM.

#2 muskrat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 234 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 05:36 PM

Salute Centurion72

I use this version for a Brawler:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...031eb949b1f4aa7

and this build for a sniper build:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f4c5a5697f8f305

The 3D is a great mech, sadly Im not a very good pilot :lol:

It takes awhile to trick the 3D out as I have done, but you can adjust armor and engine for now to suit your playstyle

More than willing to help if you need me

an Idea of avail cash and playstyle would help also a smurphy link to your current build.

Bow
Muskrat

Edited by muskrat, 14 January 2015 - 05:42 PM.

#3 Spike Brave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 695 posts
  • LocationIn your base, killing your dudes

Posted 14 January 2015 - 05:51 PM

I'd suggest that you move more. If you're going down after 3 or 4 hits that means that the enemy is able to hit you in the same spot. Try to keep moving as this will make it harder to hit you in the same spot. Also twist your torso. If you're taking fire move your torso/mech so the hits land on your arm instead of torso locations.

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 06:08 PM

View PostCenturion72, on 14 January 2015 - 05:28 PM, said:

Can i ask to some of the experienced players how to resist to more than two hits?

I have read some suggestion about the right mech to start with and i have got a brand new cataphract 3d.
Nice mech, i like it but it cannot stand more than 3 or 4 hits from other mechs before going to the ground.
Also i don't seem able to deliver more than 35/40 damage for battle before someone shuts me down.

I have tryed to look for some good build on the net but i did not find anything, also my c-bills are growing VERY slowly with this mech so i cannot afford a real customization for now.

Thank you
Alex.

Posted Image
(Penneywize in a CTF 3D [Cataphract 3-Davion], with Zhizhu colors.)

I'm going to guess you are running this thing pure stock. That means an Extra Light (XL) engine, which Battletech is funny in the sense that "Lighter" engines are "Bigger" and consume more space... and in doing so, the engine expands into your side torsos.

Losing 3 slots of your engine = death. There are 3 slots of your engine in each side torso and 6 in the center. That's 12 slots total. 3-6-3. Losing 3 will kill you. So basically if you lose any torso section you will die. This is the tradeoff and risk for having an engine virtually half of the typical weight.

Changing to a standard (but heavier) engine will fix this problem so that your engine is only in the center torso.

Alternatively -- or you can do this at the same time -- you can increase your armor. The stock armor of a Cataphract 3D is exceptionally low for a Cataphract. (The 4X has the highest starting stock armor). So it's time to increase it. To do that you will need to reduce your weight and allocate it into armor. There are 32 points of armor in a ton. The quickest way to get some free weight is to use endo steel structure; this replaces the skeleton of the mech, reducing it by 5%. It will consume 14 slots, condensing the free space you have for building things.

To further increase your life expectancy, you should try to spread damage. When you take damage, twist to spread it out especially laser fire and rapid cannon/missile fire. Be aware that if Armlock is turned off, you can deliberately throw your arms in the way of enemy fire, too. This can be used to soak it up in your arms instead of your body.

Posted Image
Koniving in a Cataphract 4X.

Another thing is to make sure to have more than 40 armor allocated to the front. A 50 ton mech typically has 38 or more armor dedicated to the front, my Hunchbacks all have 46 armor on the RT and that is not counting the quirks. The CTF-3D stock has only 32 armor on the front. That is a single ton of armor. I have a 15 ton securitymech in Battletech that has similar frontal armor. That is pretty bad.

Attack while moving at an angle. Unlike in tank warfare, you do not have to face your enemy directly. In fact akin to tank warfare if you are moving diagonally from the target while firing, it makes it harder for them to hit you.
Posted Image
Koniving's Muromets, strafing while attacking.

Shots by Lordred.

Good luck and welcome to MWO.
(A follow-cam by Lordred, following me in a Muromets; the Cataphract hero mech). This may help you as well.

#5 Ultimax

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 08:45 PM

View PostCenturion72, on 14 January 2015 - 05:28 PM, said:

Thank you
Alex.

Hi,

A few suggestions:

1) Make sure your armor is maxed all over. The stock Cataphract 3D looks like this:

Posted Image

I suggest you change it to this:

Posted Image

Then once you have a build you'd like to play, you can shave a few points off of your arms (2 to 4) or your legs (2 to 4) to try and meet the tonnage you need.

2) You will want/need to upgrade your structure to Endo Steel as soon as possible.

3) You will want/need to upgrade your heat sinks to Dual Heat Sinks as soon as possible.

4) Always try to keep moving, don't stay in the same place for too long.

5) When people are shooting at you, you should try to keep twisting your upper torso so the damage doesn't all hit one location.

Edited by Ultimatum X, 14 January 2015 - 08:48 PM.

#6 mogs01gt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 15 January 2015 - 06:04 AM

Great guilds by the two previous posters!

Good first pick for a mech(doubt you could get much better! :P). OP, show us your build.

Edited by mogs01gt, 15 January 2015 - 06:04 AM.

#7 NUJRSYDEVIL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 331 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 06:12 AM

Get rid of the jump jets and assign that extra space to armor. The Cataphract does get opened up like a tin can compared to other heavies though, it's just the way it is.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users