Prevent Weapon Jamming?

20 replies to this topic

#1 Aerekplus

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 07:34 AM

I'm using two of the Ulta AC 5s on my Timber wolf and they just keep jamming in combat is there any way t prevent it or should I down grade to the reg Ac 5s?

#2 Sadistic Savior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 07:36 AM

View PostAerekplus, on 12 January 2015 - 07:34 AM, said:

I'm using two of the Ulta AC 5s on my Timber wolf and they just keep jamming in combat is there any way t prevent it or should I down grade to the reg Ac 5s?

I think jamming occurs at random, and there is no way to prevent it. It is the trade off you make for being able to fire bursts twice as fast.

#3 Angry bovine

• Pip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 07:40 AM

firing in bursts, rather than continuously help limit jamming but if your going to use ultra acs your going to have to deal with the occasional jam (I find it worth it, ultra acs are my favorite weapons)

#4 HlynkaCG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,263 posts
  • LocationSitting on a 12x multiplier and voting for Terra Therma

Posted 12 January 2015 - 07:44 AM

Jams are essentially random but become more likely the faster you fire.

The key to avoiding jams is the same in game as it is in real-life, space your shots out and stick to short controlled bursts. Don't just hold the trigger down.

Edited by HlynkaCG, 12 January 2015 - 07:45 AM.

#5 Kotzi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 07:48 AM

AFAIK it only jams when you try to shoot before it reloads. If you are lucky it will shoot twice as fast if not, it jams. If you dont want to risk jaming just shoot when the weapon has reloaded, like after 1.5ish seconds.

EDIT: By the way, thats the advantage to regular ac 5. Beeing able to squeeze another shot before it reloads. At the cost of potential jamming, of course.

Edited by Kotzi, 12 January 2015 - 07:58 AM.

#6 daPaule

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 07:49 AM

View PostHlynkaCG, on 12 January 2015 - 07:44 AM, said:

The key to avoiding jams is the same in game as it is in real-life, space your shots out and stick to short controlled bursts. Don't just hold the trigger down.

I think it's the opposite. When just holding the trigger down it won't jam at all, but will also not give you more DPS than a basic ac5. It's the 'double tab' or rather pressing the button before fully cooled down that will lead to the random jams.

#7 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 12 January 2015 - 07:56 AM

There is no way to prevent or reduce the chance of jamming, but jamming will only occur when you "double-tap" an ultra weapon. If you fire once and release, or press&hold, it will fire only the first burst, and if you tap again during the original cooldown it will double-fire.

Use the burst-fire a little less, but it's pretty random when it will jam.

#8 TripleEhBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 700 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 12 January 2015 - 08:27 AM

I forget the actual probability, but I think Ultra ACs have a 20% chance to jam if "double-fired" during the cooldown phase.

#9 Aerekplus

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 09:31 AM

The problem is im in a Timberwolf and already firepower is limited, It's really hard for me to pull off 500 points ina match so I need that fire power, 1.5 secs is just too long :/

#10 Smoked

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 319 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 10:22 AM

You can get 800+ damage with just 3 medium lasers. Change your arms and make it a laser boat.

#11 MechWarrior3671771

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,021 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 12 January 2015 - 11:37 AM

Mine kept jamming at the worst possible moments. I guess try to get a feel for it, but as a new player I just went back to the AC5. Will figure out the ultra-jam later.

#12 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 12 January 2015 - 03:11 PM

with 2 LRM 15s 4 med pulse lasers and 3 machine guns it is not uncommon for me to do 800 damage in a Timber Wolf,

I do not like ACs on that chassis but see below for a crazy build that was the first ever Mech build to get me past 700 damage.
https://onedrive.liv...int=photo%2cjpg
literally my first ever match in the MWO Timber wolf I tried that build and in a Mech with absolutely no skills unlocked I did 836 damage and 3 kills, I have now had about 20 matches with that sort of score, all but 1 have been in a Timber Wolf

#13 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 03:13 PM

I'm actually surprised that there wasn't really a correct answer given yet.

To prevent jamming, simply hold down the fire button (do not tap. Hold.)
You can't "double fire" while holding, but you will not jam either.

#14 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 03:17 PM

And if 1.5 seconds is too long, upgrade the elite skill "Fast Fire". It will reduce the wait time.

I should also note that for Clan mechs... An AC/5 or UAC/5 fires at a rate of 1.5 + 0.15 seconds between each bullet (Fire, bullet, pause 0.15, bullet, pause 0.15, bullet. [0.30]. Begin cooldown. 0.30 + 1.5 = 1.8 seconds for standard AC/5 or UAC/5 fired without doubletap).

Fun, isn't it? If you want a real 1.5 second (or less) cooldown, switch to LBX-5.

#15 Flak Kannon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 581 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 03:56 PM

Use the burst effect of the Uac5s to your advantage.

Know when you can 'burst fire' at no risk, and know when you can not.

I like having the option to accelerate my DPS as need be.

Play the Timber on a practice map, and simulate how to burst fire well, and how you are jamming the guns.

As they say.. the only way to get to Carneige Hall is practice, so use the Uac5's, and get better with them.

The benefit, for me at least, outweighs the drawbacks.

#16 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 14 January 2015 - 01:20 AM

View PostFlak Kannon, on 13 January 2015 - 03:56 PM, said:

Use the burst effect of the Uac5s to your advantage.

Know when you can 'burst fire' at no risk, and know when you can not.

I like having the option to accelerate my DPS as need be.

if you double tap a UAC there is a 20% (if I remember correctly, over the years it has gone as low as 15% and as high as 25%) chance of jamming, there is no way to fire faster than every 1.5 seconds with "no risk of a jam", if you double tap a UAC it can jam on that second shot. so I am unsure what you mean.

Increasing DPS at the risk of jamming is what the UACs are all about, there was a time when theIS UAC5 recycled faster than the AC5 (something like 1.2 second recycle rather than 1.5 so you could fire faster with no risk of jam) but that was removed more than a year ago

#17 MFZ

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 03:41 PM

View PostKoniving, on 13 January 2015 - 03:13 PM, said:

I'm actually surprised that there wasn't really a correct answer given yet.

Missed daPaule's post?

Edited by MFZ, 14 January 2015 - 03:41 PM.

#18 Flak Kannon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 581 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 03:46 PM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 14 January 2015 - 01:20 AM, said:

if you double tap a UAC there is a 20% (if I remember correctly, over the years it has gone as low as 15% and as high as 25%) chance of jamming, there is no way to fire faster than every 1.5 seconds with "no risk of a jam", if you double tap a UAC it can jam on that second shot. so I am unsure what you mean.

Increasing DPS at the risk of jamming is what the UACs are all about, there was a time when theIS UAC5 recycled faster than the AC5 (something like 1.2 second recycle rather than 1.5 so you could fire faster with no risk of jam) but that was removed more than a year ago

Hi Jedi.

I was referring to double tapping when you are NOT at risk. I.e.. enemies close ....

I know that you can never avoid jamming if you double tap.

I tend to double tap when I dont have to worry about DPS so much. I will 'full recycle fire' when I am in a brawl, so as to not loose my DPS.

I hope that makes better sense to those that didn't understand. I thought it was obvious what I meant.

#19 Nightmare1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 14 January 2015 - 04:50 PM

There's nothing you can do about jamming; it's a menace that can't be killed.

I've tried firing my UACs and CUACs singly like standard ACs, with ten second intervals between trigger pulls, and had them jam three shots out of five. I frequently have them jam on the first or second trigger, and they jam whenever the combat is hottest leaving me in a lurch.

So...I sold 'em all and went back to standards. They're more dependable than those lousy CUACS and UACs. Besides, last time I used them, Clan UACs don't deal double damage like the IS ones do, so they really aren't worth equipping.

#20 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 04:56 PM

View PostMFZ, on 14 January 2015 - 03:41 PM, said:

Missed daPaule's post?

I did indeed. :o

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users