Coming Back To The Game/new Players

4 replies to this topic

#1 Orumus

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 04:56 PM

When this game was announced my friends and I where so excited. A new MW game! Fond memories of Battle-Tech and Mechwarrior 1-4 games going through my mind. With my limited income at the time I decided along with my longtime friends to back the development. Why not, its MW!

We played the Beta and were somewhat disappointed with the feel of the game but hoped since it was just a Beta perhaps a lot of that would change as the game matured. Playing the game off and on since then and now just recently coming back after several months, it still has all the things I didn't like before.

No radar... its the far future... we forgot how to detect enemies outside what we are directly looking at... The mini-map and heck the normal maps are extremely un-detailed so if you do not know a map... good luck! Getting hit by weapons, especially missiles makes it so you can not see anything, perhaps this is "realistic" but did we forget this is a game set in the far FAR future... "realistic" is not necessarily something we should be focusing on. in a lot of the maps it seems like the Devs focused more on environmental effects and features rather then game play. Again this plays into the if you don't know a map or maybe you cant see because of weapons fire and stumble down into a ravine that you can not climb now separated from the team to be picked off while trying to find a way up..... The Mech bay, what...the...heck? This is the most unintuitive Mech bay design yet. What where you thinking? I mean heck MW 2-4 had Much more intuitive Mech bays with nearly all the same capabilities 15-20 years ago! Why is it so hard to make a good user friendly Mech Bay? I mean heck you had in a previous itteration the ability to see your mech and click parts of it to go to that part for editing. That was cool.. Why get rid of that?

Perhaps some of you who might read this will think since I do not play MWO all the time, I do not know what I am talking about. However that is exactly why I know this subject. Which is how this game feels to a new player or in my case someone who played it for a bit takes a break then comes back.
I really want to like this game. I love the IP and I loved the Mech Warrior games but this game sadly, is hard to like in its current configuration.

#2 Alcom Isst

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Professional
  • The Professional
  • 935 posts
  • LocationElo Heaven

Posted 14 January 2015 - 05:47 PM

View PostOrumus, on 14 January 2015 - 04:56 PM, said:

I mean heck MW 2-4 had Much more intuitive Mech bays with nearly all the same capabilities 15-20 years ago!

I've been playing MechWarrior 2, 3, and 4 recently. MechWarrior 4 has a great mechlab but also has a much more simple loadout system. MechWarrior 2 and 3's mechlab are pretty iffy. MechWarrior 2 had click issues rivaling MechWarrior Online, while MechWarrior 3's mechlab was a visual mess.

MechWarrior 2: 31st Century Combat and MechWarrior 2: Ghost Bear's Legacy:
  • Requires weapons to and equipment to be selected on one screen, and equipped on another.
  • No automatic Endo Steel and Ferrous placement.
MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries:
  • Weapons must be bought in an entirely separate menu before they are equipped.
MechWarrior 3:
  • Components are on a list that doesn't take up the entire screen.
  • Criticals are represented by numbers and not visual size.
  • GREEN! SO MUCH NEON GREEN!

MechWarrior Online's is still worse, but MechWarrior 2 and 3 aren't good example setters either.

Edited by Alcom Isst, 14 January 2015 - 05:48 PM.

#3 Orumus

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 06:58 PM

You are probably correct, but it was not my intention to suggest they copy it directly. I mean its been 20 years.. I would think we could design something just as easy to approach and yet still incorporate all the necessary information. I was just trying to point out that they where able to make a good solid looking and functional Mech bay with many of the same capabilities back then.

#4 Gamuray

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 866 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 09:11 PM

Yup, you are absolutely right. If you wanna make it even simpler... here's the basic info. PGI: Good visual creativity! Downright pitiful mechanics & usability designing capabilities. <-These guys should have just been the visual side of MWO creation, someone else should have AT LEAST told them how to do the mechanics and usability end... (maybe that was originally Smith & Tinker's part of the deal... but they left when Harmony Gold got all jealous of the warhammer in the original trailer... >_>

#5 LordKnightFandragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 09:24 PM

View PostAlcom Isst, on 14 January 2015 - 05:47 PM, said:

I've been playing MechWarrior 2, 3, and 4 recently. MechWarrior 4 has a great mechlab but also has a much more simple loadout system. MechWarrior 2 and 3's mechlab are pretty iffy. MechWarrior 2 had click issues rivaling MechWarrior Online, while MechWarrior 3's mechlab was a visual mess.

MechWarrior 2: 31st Century Combat and MechWarrior 2: Ghost Bear's Legacy:
  • Requires weapons to and equipment to be selected on one screen, and equipped on another.
  • No automatic Endo Steel and Ferrous placement.
MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries:
  • Weapons must be bought in an entirely separate menu before they are equipped.
MechWarrior 3:
  • Components are on a list that doesn't take up the entire screen.
  • Criticals are represented by numbers and not visual size.
  • GREEN! SO MUCH NEON GREEN!
MechWarrior Online's is still worse, but MechWarrior 2 and 3 aren't good example setters either.

I found MW4's by far and going away the easiest to work with. It was very simple overall. If we got something similar to MW4 and Smurfy, it would be golden.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users